• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Iran seizes yet another tanker

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Mountainmanbob, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+7,313
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+13,562
    Christian
    Married
    Well...if North Korea's leaders example has taught them anything it would be: send President Trump a fawning love letter first, then you can do what ever you like. :wave:
    tulc(knows how much President Trump loves those fawning love letters) :clap:

3. Mountainmanbob

+7,313
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Glad your woman is not in there.

She would be so busy taking foundation bribes that she would not be paying attention.
    M-Bob

4. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+1,182
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You know I bet if the Brits (and US) started patrolling the Strait with a few Corvettes, destroyers or submarines armed with Harpoons I bet the Mullahs would grow up a bit.

5. tulc

+13,562
    Christian
    Married
    uhmmm...she wasn't "my woman" she was the candidate running against the reality tv star.
    :wave:

I'm not sure bringing up people foundations is a good thing considering President Trumps foundation's history:
    Donald J. Trump Foundation - Wikipedia
    tulc(just a thought) :wave:

6. Yarddog

Yarddog Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,459
    Catholic
    Married
  7. Mountainmanbob

+7,313
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Truly, the funniest thing that I have heard all day.

We would probably be an Iranian territory if Obama was still in office.

M-Bob

8. tulc

+13,562
    Christian
    Married
    Then you must have missed when President Trump first disavowed the racist chant of his base and then a couple hours later embraced the racist chant. Because that was all kinds of funny! :D

Or not. :wave:
    tulc(believes that's the more likely situation) :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  9. Yarddog

+2,459
    Catholic
    Married
    Now you want to talk about funny and utterly ridiculous, your statement wins the prize.

10. Yekcidmij

Yekcidmij Polymath

+938
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
  11. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+1,182
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You mean he would have dump enough money out on the tarmac that they could buy us? (But I thought China was going to buy us)? :scratch:

I can see wanting to help an ally but I don't think he could have gotten away with it even though millions here would have supported it. :doh:

^_^

12. DanishLutheran

DanishLutheran Active Member

+182
    Denmark
    Lutheran
    Single
    You have a really short memory, don't you? :D
    Even worse than this happened under Obama.

Piracy against neutral ships in waters not your own is casus belli.
    Here's hoping that the Brits have worked up the stones to teach the ayatollahs some manners. I'm not holding my breath, though.

13. Yarddog

+2,459
    Catholic
    Married
    You don't read, do you? The Navy ships seized in your article were in Iranian waters while the British tanker wasn't.

Iran's actions are a response to actions which originated in Trump's pulling out of a treaty which Iran was in compliance with.

14. DanishLutheran

DanishLutheran Active Member

+182
    Denmark
    Lutheran
    Single
    I do, yes. Do you?

And one is left to wonder how any POTUS but Obama would have reacted to American soldiers being held hostage. THAT was the point. Which I'm going to go ahead and assume you already knew ;)

So, basically, Iran's piracy is Trump's fault, for pulling out of a deal which was never ratified by Congress to the best of my knowledge (and therefore not a treaty in the legally binding sense), and which more or less gave Iran the chance to advance their nuclear program on the side as long as they weren't obvious about it?
    Yeah, no.
    TDS is quite crippling, I know, but even someone suffering from it SURELY must see that the ayatollahs are to blame for their acts of piracy, not Trump?

15. Yarddog

+2,459
    Catholic
    Married
    Then you just ignored context.

Then why did you post an article which didn't support your post? Most Presidents have done as Obama did. Negotiate a peaceful end to the incident.
    Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action - Wikipedia

The Senate was not needed to make it binding.

Inspectors confirmed Iran was in compliance.

16. Mountainmanbob

+7,313
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Obama's bargaining skills were some of the worst this country has ever seen.

And that is how it will be written in history.

M-Bob

17. tulc

+13,562
    Christian
    Married
    Or they weren't. :wave:

or it wont be. :)

tulc(just a couple of things he thought should be pointed out) :sorry:

18. Yekcidmij

Yekcidmij Polymath

+938
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    I take your point and agree - very different situations. Arguably, the British Tanker was in Iranian waters (as it falls within a 12nm baseline), but they were conducting a Transit Passage by the UNCLOS, which is why Iran cited a smattering of Article 42 reasons for seizing the ship. Just because the Straights of Hormuz fall within a 12nm territorial water baseline, Iran can't arbitrarily impede vessel traffic when vessels are conducting Transit Passages (Section 2), so long as their abiding by international law (and they are signatories on this law).

https://www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/unclos_e.pdf

In any case, this is all about an eye-for-an-eye kind of thing. Britain seized their ship and they're just doing the same back.

19. Gigimo

Gigimo Well-Known Member

+1,182
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    BTA some see his bribing skills as being the same as bargaining skills :doh:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List