Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just got done watching this David Wood video, for most us this will be good news. It's not really a surprise if you study social psychology. Being heavy handed with people and threatening them as your main method of influence is not a viable long term strategy. It doesn't take long for people to get sick of that and begin plotting against their persecutor, blatantly lieing to their face, and behind their back secretly doing what they want.

tommy123456

Dec 20, 2020
austin
✟8,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For anyone interested, this is the actual survey mentioned: https://gamaan.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/GAMAAN-Iran-Religion-Survey-2020-English.pdf

From a group in the Netherlands that does studies like this.

The 99.5% Muslim rate in Iran that we have been so used to is the state-proposed rate, even as recently as 2018. It was almost certainly not 99.5% in 2018. The point: this has likely been changing much slower than many may realize. However, every generation can produce such varied beliefs to the prior.

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I guess the problem is the definition of "Muslim" vs the identification with the religion of Islam.
From what I've heard anyone born of a Muslim father is a Muslim, not sure about the mother though. Those who identify as Muslims however may be a follower of Islam. So in effect there could be a lot of children that are "Muslim" by birth but are not a follower of Islam itself. A parallel of it could be like Catholic and other churches that baptize babies and consider them a Catholic or whatever church but when they grow old enough to choose a religious affiliation they may choose otherwise.

Upvote 0

tommy123456

Dec 20, 2020
austin
✟8,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess the problem is the definition of "Muslim" vs the identification with the religion of Islam.
From what I've heard anyone born of a Muslim father is a Muslim, not sure about the mother though. Those who identify as Muslims however may be a follower of Islam. So in effect there could be a lot of children that are "Muslim" by birth but are not a follower of Islam itself. A parallel of it could be like Catholic and other churches that baptize babies and consider them a Catholic or whatever church but when they grow old enough to choose a religious affiliation they may choose otherwise.
Very well put and important to bring up in this discussion. I do think that the government does try to portray the country as more homozygous in its following of Islam than it actually is though.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Very well put and important to bring up in this discussion. I do think that the government does try to portray the country as more homozygous in its following of Islam than it actually is though.
would that be homogeneous instead?

Reactions: tommy123456
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,294.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The 22 percent with "none" really puzzle me. It's not none like in atheist or agnostic, because those were options as well. The way the question is worded, maybe they're sitting square in the middle of 2 religious views and can't decide?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums