Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Is Iran's threat to restart Uranium enrichment just a bluff or a serious threat? Will Israel act preemptively and bomb Iran's reactors? How does it affect the stability of the Middle East? I can't help but wonder why most of Iran's nuclear reactors are still intact as part of the scrapped nuke deal.

Feel free to debate. Here's a link to an op-ed on NBC News: Iran steps away from parts of nuclear deal as U.S. ramps up pressure

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is Iran's threat to restart Uranium enrichment just a bluff or a serious threat?

What is it bluffing and who is it threatening?

Will Israel act preemptively and bomb Iran's reactors?

Reactors have nothing to do with nuclear weapons, so perhaps you could explain why Israel would bomb Iran's electricity generators.

How does it affect the stability of the Middle East?

Improves it, as it removes the constant threat of an unwarranted US invasion.

I can't help but wonder why most of Iran's nuclear reactors are still intact as part of the scrapped nuke deal.

I can't help but wonder why you think reactors are relevant.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
What is it bluffing and who is it threatening?

Reactors have nothing to do with nuclear weapons, so perhaps you could explain why Israel would bomb Iran's electricity generators.

Improves it, as it removes the constant threat of an unwarranted US invasion.

I can't help but wonder why you think reactors are relevant.
I wasn't sure if the reactors, in light of current threats, couldn't be quickly revamped to make nukes. I'm not a nuclear scientist, but sounds to me same facilities could be used to do both? I'm guessing Uranium enrichment is done in the same facilities. That could be fuel for potential nukes. Here's a piece about Nuclear Non-proliferation that says "Some of the technology that can be used to produce or purify a fissile material for a nuclear power plant could also be applied to producing nuclear weapons." Nuclear Power Education - Nuclear Weapons Proliferation. Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't sure if the reactors, in light of current threats, couldn't be quickly revamped to make nukes. I'm not a nuclear scientist, but sounds to me same facilities could be used to do both? I'm guessing Uranium enrichment is done in the same facilities. That could be fuel for potential nukes. Thanks for the response.

No, nuclear weapons and nuclear power are two completely separate things. Israel and North Korea both have nukes, neither have nuclear power.

• Informative
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No, nuclear weapons and nuclear power are two completely separate things. Israel and North Korea both have nukes, neither have nuclear power.
You may want to take a look at this piece that says there could be a connection between the two, "Some of the technology that can be used to produce or purify a fissile material for a nuclear power plant could also be applied to producing nuclear weapons." Nuclear Power Education - Nuclear Weapons Proliferation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You may want to look at this piece that says there could be a connection between the two "Some of the technology that can be used to produce or purify a fissile material for a nuclear power plant could also be applied to producing nuclear weapons." Nuclear Power Education - Nuclear Weapons Proliferation.

Once again, North Korea and Israel of nuclear weapons but not nuclear power. Furthermore whist it is obvious that weapons grade fissile material is just further up the process of power grade, under no circumstances would any country be stupid enough to enrich their uranium inside their power plant, and nowhere in your article is their a requirement or even preference for a power plant.

Did I mention Israel and North Korea have nuclear weapons but not nuclear power?

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Once again, North Korea and Israel of nuclear weapons but not nuclear power. Furthermore whist it is obvious that weapons grade fissile material is just further up the process of power grade, under no circumstances would any country be stupid enough to enrich their uranium inside their power plant, and nowhere in your article is their a requirement or even preference for a power plant.

Did I mention Israel and North Korea have nuclear weapons but not nuclear power?
It's not my article...lol. You're welcome to disagree with the author.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Is Iran's threat to restart Uranium enrichment just a bluff or a serious threat?

How is it a threat? They stopped doing it as part of their deal with the US.

Donald pulled the plug on the deal, so why wouldn't they restart?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian

I'm still trying to figure out what gives the US the right to dictate who can have nuclear weapons and who cannot. We don't even impose sanctions on most nuclear capable nations including Israel, and we have them by the thousands. It seems like a hypocritical foreign policy.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
How is it a threat? They stopped doing it as part of their deal with the US.

Donald pulled the plug on the deal, so why wouldn't they restart?

Great question. If we won't abide by our own commitments, why should they?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,936.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm still trying to figure out what gives the US the right to dictate who can have nuclear weapons and who cannot. We don't even impose sanctions on most nuclear capable nations including Israel, and we have them by the thousands. It seems like a hypocritical foreign policy.
That would be the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. The US is one of only 5 states legally allowed to have access to nuclear weapons under it. However there are 5 states that are not parties to it, and three of those five have nukes. One of which is Israel.

• Agree
Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
That would be the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. The US is one of only 5 states legally allowed to have access to nuclear weapons under it. However there are 5 states that are not parties to it, and three of those five have nukes. One of which is Israel.

You don't see that policy as a tad hypocritical? We have our nukes and so we get to keep them. Israel thumbs their noses at the agreement and we give them financial and military support every year, and North Korea thumbs their noses at the treaty and we impose sanctions. Meanwhile Libya and Iraq gave up their weapons programs and we reward them by invading them, or destroyed them.

The agreement and the execution of the policy seems rather unfair if you're a citizen of NK or Iran and you're just trying feed your family and make sure that what happened in Libya and Iraq doesn't happen to your country too.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,304.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Great question. If we won't abide by our own commitments, why should they?
Because the USA has weapons. Only losers without weapons have to play fair.

• Informative
Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Iran Says It Will Break Uranium Stockpile Limit in 10 Days
The nuclear deal has steadily unraveled since the Trump administration pulled America out of the accord last year and re-imposed tough economic sanctions on Iran.

The deal has steadily unraveled since the Trump administration pulled America out of the accord last year and re-imposed tough economic sanctions on Iran, deeply cutting into its sale of crude oil abroad and sending its economy into freefall. Europe has so far been unable to offer Iran a way around the U.S. sanctions.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

You can make nuclear reactors that produce material for bombs.

Iran so far hasn't done anything of the sort, it's just that they aren't completely separate.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's no coincidence this comes on the anniversary of Trump tearing up the Iran deal.

"Under the agreement, Iran was permitted to stockpile limited amounts enriched uranium and heavy water produced in that process, exporting any excess. Doing so has become extremely difficult after the US revoked waivers that allowed Iran to export those excess stockpiles, effectively forcing Iran to halt enrichment or ignore the limits, which it is now doing."

Expecting Iran to abide by the terms of a deal that we have backed out of is a bit off.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

We also have a tenancy of invading countries that don't have nuclear capability and leaving alone those countries that do.

Upvote 0