Iowa Republicans want to ban SNAP recipients from buying meat, white bread, and American cheese

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I can't believe we pay politicians what we do, and give them the positions that they have by which they can only further line their own pockets, etc, only to come up with things like this, etc...

Higher quality stuff comes out on my used toilet paper, etc...

That being said, instead of taking more stuff away, why don't we have a system that rewards more with more responsible behavior with what they get, etc? In this case, more responsible SNAP shopping behavior, with more added bonuses or benefits of some other kind maybe, etc? As long as they can show that somehow, etc? But show it in a way that cannot be falsified, or mistreated, or abused/misused also or either, etc?

Anyone got any ideas on that, etc...?

If the added bonuses were worth it to people, you'd probably save more money or funds in the long run, not to mention maybe people/children/families going hungry be less of a problem, etc, because people would be encouraged to use what they have or get much more responsibly, etc, but also wouldn't necessarily have to do it that way, etc...

It's called "postive reinforcement", etc, which is far superior to so-called "corrective punishment", etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Which is what, exactly?
We probably don't pay them nearly as much as they always tend to get through either, completely lawful, or unlawful gain, through their position always, etc, but it's all "whatever", I guess, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here’s every post I’ve made in this thread. Which one says i begrudge the poor receiving government help?

You said the bill carries no restrictions on the purchase of meat... Can you explain why some articles are saying otherwise?

As a disabled individual who relies on SNAP for food I am curious what this bill is about... (I don't live in IOWA, I'm just curious)

For myself when I'm in too much pain to cook I need some meals that are easier to prepare and have on hand that other healthy people may not necessarily need (such as pasta sauce etc) but even for the healthy things like meat and cheese are essential for good health.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I see a lot of people use SNAP benefits very foolishly, or very irresponsibly a lot where I live, etc, but some kind of reward system based on cost per calorie limits, or something similar to that maybe, with maybe some few exceptions maybe, notice I said "reward system" and not "a loss of current benefits", etc, could be implemented to try and reduce the problem overall, etc...

I get a limited amount of SNAP, but do not use it irresponsibly I don't think, etc, not compared to what I see all around me with other people who also receive SNAP anyway, etc, I'm always very conscious of how much stuff costs, and whether it's SNAP, or my own cash, I treat it the same, and am not irresponsible with it, etc...

Never get to buy beef hardly at all ever, except for hamburger that I stretch, etc, other than that, it is always chicken or pork, and every once in a great while fish, etc, if it's not too pricey, etc, and probably only get to eat meat, only once or twice a week, on average, etc, but no steak hardly ever at all ever, etc, can't remember the last time I had one of those, etc, and besides meat consumption, it's a lot of cost per calorie calculations, etc, but is also is not things that are totally trash always either, or that have absolutely no nutritional value ever at all always either, etc, anyway, I'm very conscious of it, etc, and try not to waste, or be irresponsible with it, and make it all stretch, etc, whether it's my own cash, or SNAP benefits, etc, but denying people things like beans and rice, or butter or cheese...? What the "blank" is that all about, etc...? Ridiculous... Sounds like some politicians are in somebody's pockets to me, etc... Like I said, I have higher quality "stuff" coming out, or being produced, etc, on my used toilet paper, etc... I mean, why do we even have these fools anyway...? These "politicians" I mean, etc...?

These rules or restrictions make absolutely no sense at all, etc...?

So why then are they wasting their/our time/energy/effort/our money with it then...?

Well, I think it is only because that's what most of our politicians seem to do best, etc...

Or they have some other kind of "more hidden interest" for doing things like this, etc, since that is also very common among them also, etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see a lot of people use SNAP benefits very foolishly, or very irresponsibly a lot where I live, etc, but some kind of reward system based on cost per calorie limits, or something similar to that maybe, with maybe some few exceptions maybe, notice I said "reward system" and not "a loss of current benefits", etc, could be implemented to try and reduce the problem overall, etc...

I get a limited amount of SNAP, but do not use it irresponsibly I don't think, etc, not compared to what I see all around me with other people who also receive SNAP anyway, etc, I'm always very conscious of how much stuff costs, and whether it's SNAP, or my own cash, I treat it the same, and am not irresponsible with it, etc...

Never get to buy beef hardly at all ever, except for hamburger that I stretch, etc, other than that, it is always chicken or pork, and every once in a great while fish, etc, if it's not too pricey, etc, and probably only get to eat meat, only once or twice a week, on average, etc, but no steak hardly ever at all ever, etc, can't remember the last time I had one of those, etc, and besides meat consumption, it's a lot of cost per calorie calculations, etc, but is also is not things that are totally trash always either, or that have absolutely no nutritional value ever at all always either, etc, anyway, I'm very conscious of it, etc, and try not to waste, or be irresponsible with it, whether it's my own cash, or SNAP benefits, etc, but denying people things like beans and rice, or butter or cheese...? What the "blank" is that all about, etc...? Ridiculous... Sounds like some politicians are in somebody's pockets to me, etc... Like I said, I have higher quality "stuff" coming out, or being produced, etc, on my used toilet paper, etc... I mean, why do we even have these fools anyway...? These "politicians" I mean, etc...?

God Bless!

I think most people on food stamps only get a small amount, so we end up having to treat it like we would our own money.

I get disability, and for my husband and I we only receive 194 per month in food stamps - which isn't nearly what it takes to feed us for the month, especially with inflation, but the state determined it's all we qualify for even though the only cash income we have is less than 1200 a month.

For us to eat well, aka plenty of fresh fruits and veggies with meat once a day, cost 75 dollars a week a few years ago. I no longer know what it would cost now because things like fresh fruit and meat have become luxury items, even to those people who receive government assistance.

So it's really beyond me how any state would take that and then limit the types of essential food items people can purchase (banning meat, cheese etc). It's like adding insult to injury.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think most people on food stamps only get a small amount, so we end up having to treat it like we would our own money.

I get disability, and for my husband and I we only receive 194 per month in food stamps - which isn't nearly what it takes to feed us for the month, especially with inflation, but the state determined it's all we qualify for even though the only cash income we have is less than 1200 a month.

For us to eat well, aka plenty of fresh fruits and veggies with meat once a day, cost 75 dollars a week a few years ago. I no longer know what it would cost now because things like fresh fruit and meat have become luxury items, even to those people who receive government assistance.

So it's really beyond me how any state would take that and then limit the types of essential food items people can purchase (banning meat, cheese etc). It's like adding insult to injury.
Like and Agree, etc...

I'm on disability as well, some people just don't get it, etc...

God Bless!

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I have a better question. Why don't you just state your position in clear and unambiguous terms, then we can all see where you stand, and you can show how wrong I am?

Social programs to aid the poor are all well and good, but as such programs go, SNAP is very poorly designed. Might as well just hand them cash. At least that would be a more efficient use of public resources…

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Social programs to aid the poor are all well and good, but as such programs go, SNAP is very poorly designed. Might as well just hand them cash. At least that would be a more efficient use of public resources…

It might well be poorly designed. I doubt eliminating meat, white bread, and American cheese is the way to fix it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,456.00
Faith
Pentecostal
After reading the bill itself it does propose limiting those on SNAP to items approved in WIC. Which means the only meat that is approved is canned tuna and salmon.

I have no problem with most of the restrictions on WIC. They are all very healthy. But limiting meat is going too far. People on SNAP ought to be able to buy beef, chicken and pork.

I have no problem limiting what people can buy to fresh and healthy products. But putting a limit on meat to canned tuna and salmon?

I say no to this bill. It's gone too far.

This is not government over reach nor is it big government. This is what happens when you depend on the government. The government is not there to just give you what you want. The government giveth and the government taketh away. That's how it works.

But that being said I am opposed to this bill as it stands. Add in meat and whole wheat flour and we are good.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have a better question. Why don't you just state your position in clear and unambiguous terms, then we can all see where you stand, and you can show how wrong I am?
So, you’re walking back your statement. Wouldn’t it be better to just admit that you misspoke, especially since you are concerned with how Christians act?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You said the bill carries no restrictions on the purchase of meat... Can you explain why some articles are saying otherwise?

As a disabled individual who relies on SNAP for food I am curious what this bill is about... (I don't live in IOWA, I'm just curious)

For myself when I'm in too much pain to cook I need some meals that are easier to prepare and have on hand that other healthy people may not necessarily need (such as pasta sauce etc) but even for the healthy things like meat and cheese are essential for good health.
I never said that. I said the bill doesn’t restrict anyone from buying meat, etc.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, you’re walking back your statement. Wouldn’t it be better to just admit that you misspoke, especially since you are concerned with how Christians act?
Nice try. You could always clearly and unambiguously state your position. But in refusing to do so my point stands.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Nice try. You could always clearly and unambiguously state your position. But in refusing to do so my point stands.
You stated that I said something that I never said. Why don’t you see that as a problem?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You stated that I said something that I never said. Why don’t you see that as a problem?
There's no problem. You hold one position regarding government aid to the poor, and I hold another. I think its necessary that government aid be available, and I certainly disagree with this bill. I have stated that those Christians who believe the government should not use tax money to aid the poor should step up and eliminate the need for government aid. What I have said is clear, but you took issue with it, while also avoiding the opportunity state your position in clear and unambiguous terms. There is no problem. Any reader can draw the relevant conclusions.

• Agree
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Funny you should say that. Multiple studies have shown that doing just that, giving direct cash payments, is the most effective way to help the poor.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There's no problem. You hold one position regarding government aid to the poor, and I hold another. I think it’s necessary that government aid be available, and I certainly disagree with this bill. I have stated that those Christians who believe the government should not use tax money to aid the poor should step up and eliminate the need for government aid. What I have said is clear, but you took issue with it, while also avoiding the opportunity state your position in clear and unambiguous terms. There is no problem. Any reader can draw the relevant conclusions.
Where did I ever say that there should be no aid for the poor? Why, as a Christian, someone who is supposed to be my brother, would you make false statements about me? What are you hoping to accomplish here?

And, I didn’t take issue. I asked you to support your claim. And then you lied about what I said.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where did I ever say that there should be no aid for the poor
Here is another opportunity to state your position. Let's hear your position in clear and unambiguously terms so that the truth can be vindicated and I can be shown in error. What is your position regarding government aid to the poor?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Here is another opportunity to state your position. Let's hear your position in clear and unambiguously terms so that the truth can be vindicated and I can be shown in error. What is your position regarding government aid to the poor?
Here’s an opportunity for you to repent for lying about me repeatedly.

Upvote 0