IOC under pressure after gold medalist accused of being member of designated terrorist group

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IOC under pressure after Iranian gold medalist accused of being member of U.S.-designated terrorist group

The International Olympic Committee is facing outcry after it allowed an alleged member of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps to compete and win gold at the Tokyo Olympics.

Javad Foroughi secured the gold medal in the 10-meter air pistol on Saturday, the first and only medal so far for Iran in Tokyo. In the days since, international critics, including some from Iran, have accused Foroughi, 41, of being a member of IRGC, a powerful ideological Iranian military branch that answers directly to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

The IRGC has a history of violence within Iran and in foreign conflicts.

Per the Washington Post, "the supreme leader uses the IRGC to enforce his will upon the Iranian people and squash any perceived threats, both from inside and outside the country." The IRGC has allied with Hamas and Hezbollah and supported Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in his attacks on anti-government protestors in a civil war that's claimed more than 380,000 lives.

Perhaps they should've put more focus on checking for things like this, rather than disqualifying track & field athletes who like to smoke a little weed from time to time.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of all the things a terrorist could be doing at the olympics, shooting a bb gun is among the least threatening.
Someone could lose an eye...

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A bb gun that costs as much as a car...

Even better.

As anybody with an expensive hobby or three can tell you - there's not a lot of money left over with which to fund mischief.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Of all the things a terrorist could be doing at the olympics, shooting a bb gun is among the least threatening.
Wonder if he cross-trained on RPG and sniper rifle.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wonder if he cross-trained on RPG and sniper rifle.

The olympics have competitions for rifle, shotgun, archery, and spear throwing, along with a whole bunch related to ingress and egress of restricted locations - all of which have a high degree of applicability to terrorisming. But apparently, he only qualified on the bb gun.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The Olympics should not be politicized. It's a time for the world to come together and celebrate excellence, not to settle ideological grudges.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought if youre part of state apparatus you get a pass, no matter what, at the Olympics (TM).

Yes, unless you're a lady athlete, in which case you're still required to show your butt cheeks on tv. No state-mandated decency standards can get around that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The Olympics should not be politicized. It's a time for the world to come together and celebrate excellence, not to settle ideological grudges.
Can we have Nazi and KKK members too then? If Islamic terrorists are allowed...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Yes, however, the code of conduct at the Olympics would prohibit those people from engaging in displays meant to demean specific races or nationalities.

Lets not forget that Nazis have participated in the Olympics before, in 1936, or were you not aware of that?

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being out side looking in.. what part did he play.. who knows. "terrorist" is not like we treat ..well not WE the left are treating people that like or voted for Trump. But were talking IRAN

"International critics have accused Javad Foroughi, who won gold in the 10-meter pistol on Saturday, of being a member of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, a powerful paramilitary organization considered by the United States as a terrorist group".

Any nation could say the same about our Army or Navy.. just saying. And really.. they let men "I am really a woman" play as a woman. Lol

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,116.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Even though it has been designated a terrorist group by three political rivals of Iran, the IRG is part of the Iranian military. If the IOC is going to allow Iran to participate at all, they really can't justify disqualifying somebody for being a member of the Iranian government.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They are not prevented from competing. But people that are fat, slow, dull-witted with poor reasoning skills tend to do poorly in athletics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
They are not prevented from competing. But people that are fat, slow, dull-witted with poor reasoning skills tend to do poorly in athletics.
Not the point, but funny because my dad always says the modern KKK is just a bunch a fat white guys sitting in their garage drinking beer while watching NASCAR and telling racist jokes.

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not the point, but funny because my dad always says the modern KKK is just a bunch a fat white guys sitting in their garage drinking beer while watching NASCAR and telling racist jokes.
And those are the Board of Directors.

• Winner
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Mind you, we’re talking about competitive bb gun shooting, a “sport” that involves remaining virtually motionless for extended periods of time. I watched this guy’s gold medal match and I’m pretty sure I burn off more calories when I play poker because I have to walk to the bathroom a bunch because I drink too much beer. None of the guys in that match would’ve been confused for members of the water polo team.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Even though it has been designated a terrorist group by three political rivals of Iran, the IRG is part of the Iranian military. If the IOC is going to allow Iran to participate at all, they really can't justify disqualifying somebody for being a member of the Iranian government.

The "official designation" may only have come from 3 political rivals, however, prior to some of the politicization surrounding the US taking out Qasem Soleimani, the IRGC was viewed as a problematic organization by people on both sides of the fence in the US, as well as several in the international community.

'It's become a monster': is Iran's revolutionary guard a terror group?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-irans-secret-war-in-syria

Why has the Syrian war lasted 10 years?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...onary-guard-corps-that-soleimani-helped-lead/

Left-leaning and moderate media outlets shared many of the same concerns back in 2017 with regards to the activities of the IRGC.

It wasn't until Soleimani was taken out, that people started to "rush to their political battle stations" so to speak.

The IRGC being "just a part of the Iranian military" shouldn't necessarily give them a pass. The SS was technically "just part of the German military", yet they were rightfully shunned from polite society and many had to flee and live in exile after it was over.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mind you, we’re talking about competitive bb gun shooting, a “sport” that involves remaining virtually motionless for extended periods of time. I watched this guy’s gold medal match and I’m pretty sure I burn off more calories when I play poker because I have to walk to the bathroom a bunch because I drink too much beer. None of the guys in that match would’ve been confused for members of the water polo team.

When it comes to shooting based competitions, unless they're doing the kinds of things like Keanu Reeves and Halle Berry do for practice:

...then yeah, seated in a stationary position doing target practice is about as much of a sport as bowling.

Which reminds me of the scene in Kingpin when they first walk into the bowling tournament arena, and he says "it's kind of intimidating to be in the presence of so many great athletes" and the camera pans over and you see this:
upload_2021-8-2_13-46-16.png

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0