Invisible people

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Are some people called just to be "invisible" to others. These are the people who have the heart of a servant and tend to do a lion share of the work and the people around them just believe those things "just happen" without seeing the effort put in. I know my mother was one of those people...she just stepped in and things around her "happened" without any attention being drawn to her. I think she prefers it that way and has even admitted that she is the time of person who wants to be at the party so she is involved but blend into the background so people aren't looking at her. I think I am much the same way but I want to be noticed even though I don't want to be the center of attention. However, I do want to have someone appreciate what I have done instead of just assume that it just happens. Now I see my daughter being the same way and yet I think she does want to be acknowledged for her hard work. That said...none of us ever seem to be noticed until we are gone and suddenly all the things don't "just happen". Is this just part of being called to be a servant ... to be part of the background?

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
An acknowledgement, given without any prompting, is ok. Personally, I don't do what I do expecting to be acknowledged. I seek and would rather have God's acknowledgment.

Matthew 6:1(NLT)
1) “Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven.​

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's nice to see people grateful for what we do, but we don't do it for that reason. God sees, and the credit/rewards he offers is everlasting, not just a blip in time.

Seems to me you all have it right, as you do not go out of your way to get credit as Jesus warned the Pharisees not to do.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think not being acknowledged is "part" of being called to being a servant, I do think not concerning yourself with being acknowledged for it is part of being a servant though. Serving is the reward, not acknowledgement.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
An acknowledgement, given without any prompting, is ok. Personally, I don't do what I do expecting to be acknowledged. I seek and would rather have God's acknowledgment.

Matthew 6:1(NLT)
1) “Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven.​

All the time?

My daughter plays college softball. She is the spirit leader, does all the books, notices when someone is "down" or being picked on and build them up or calls those out who are being less than kind. She even brings her sewing kit and repairs uniforms in the dugout and designed the logo they had on their practice wear. I think she is a better than they give her credit for on the field but if she never gets any playing time, she can't get better. She even pitches almost every practice to give her teammates batting practice but they have never even put her on the mound this year to see how she does. She isn't a starting pitcher and she knows it because she doesn't have the high speed, but she is accurate and good under pressure and has a pitch that nobody can hit. There have been times where they should have put her in to shut an inning down and give the struggling pitcher a chance to regroup and warm up another pitcher.

This has been the story of her softball career since her dad died. When her dad was alive, coaches saw her. Since he died, they don't see her. She was better than her high school coach saw her and she proved this by making a college team as a walk on after being ignored by her high school coach. She was the only one on the high school team to make a college team. She knew she wouldn't be a starter but she was told that she was "a college level" player. Then they never told her what she was doing wrong or weak at ... and just let her sit in the dug out doing all the chores for the team without getting much playing time. Other girls who have whined get put in. She won't stoop to that.

I hope that she has gotten more out of the experience than the hurt that she hides when the don't put her in at all in a game or put her in when there is likely no way for her to succeed. I'd understand if she was worse than the other players but she isn't. I am now glad that I didn't force her into missing a trip with her friends to Japan because they would be leaving the week the team could be going to nationals. They still stand a really good chance to be going to nationals...but I'd rather she be having fun in Japan than sitting in a dugout wishing she could play in Mississippi.

I personally resent that the coaches haven't been honest with her...given her the option of not being on the team if they didn't intend to play her. Practice takes up a lot of time and dedication. She would have rathered been given the title of "manager" if that was going to be her role. I also resent that the coaches told me to stop taking her to her private lessons "because they would teach her what she needed to know"... and my daughter wouldn't make appointment with her private coach because she believe them. (I also think she was trying to save me money knowing it is always tight ... but I have always paid to help my kids be their best in the things that matter to them). I have to believe that God is preparing her for something in the future from this experience but it is hard to watch my daughter suffer ... knowing that I know exactly how she feels. I remember being on teams that I made by trying out ... but feeling like I was the team servant because I was the only one who knew how to run a washing machine when we were out of town and I sewed custom uniforms that we wanted but didn't exist in the real world. I didn't charge anything and I don't think I remember anyone saying thank you...and I always felt left out.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I do things for others not for myself, I do them our of love not self love.

What good is it if you are rewarded for your good deeds here on earth? as when you die your good deeds will never be remembered.

But in the kingdom, will always be displayed with love.

Your rewards are in heaven, and it is love you get back, the same love you gave here on earth.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
It's nice to see people grateful for what we do, but we don't do it for that reason. God sees, and the credit/rewards he offers is everlasting, not just a blip in time.

Seems to me you all have it right, as you do not go out of your way to get credit as Jesus warned the Pharisees not to do.

There is a difference from wanting to be awarded and just wanting to be treated like you are valued.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I do things for others not for myself, I do them our of love not self love.

What good is it if you are rewarded for your good deeds here on earth? as when you die your good deeds will never be remembered.

But in the kingdom, will always be displayed with love.

Your rewards are in heaven, and it is love you get back, the same love you gave here on earth.

You don't expect to be rewarded for your daily effort at work with a paycheck? You would just go back to work day after day even if they stopped acknowledging your deeds with a paycheck?

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You don't expect to be rewarded for your daily effort at work with a paycheck? You would just go back to work day after day even if they stopped acknowledging your deeds with a paycheck?

We are not talking about a paycheck, we are talking about good deeds to others.

God already told us how he rewards us, it does no good for a reward here on earth, he already explained this to us all.

When I work, I get paid, thats not a reward, its a agreement.

A good deed is not work, if it was, it would not be a good deed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I am not talking about specific "good works" as in I give something to someone who is needy. I am talking about daily activities where we go above and beyond what is expected...and not only does it not get acknowledged but it is just assumed that it will happen every time from here to eternity.

The result is a someone who gets burned out and starts to question their own value. The options remain to say "look at me" or just to quietly leave...or just let your spirit die and remain. I don't know how to advice my daughter.

So most of you are advising her...and me, just to accept being invisible?

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I am not talking about specific "good works" as in I give something to someone who is needy. I am talking about daily activities where we go above and beyond what is expected...and not only does it not get acknowledged but it is just assumed that it will happen every time from here to eternity.

The result is a someone who gets burned out and starts to question their own value. The options remain to say "look at me" or just to quietly leave...or just let your spirit die and remain. I don't know how to advice my daughter.

So most of you are advising her...and me, just to accept being invisible?

But your not invisible to God, and he is the only one who counts.

• Winner
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
We are not talking about a paycheck, we are talking about good deeds to others.

God already told us how he rewards us, it does no good for a reward here on earth, he already explained this to us all.

When I work, I get paid, thats not a reward, its a agreement.

A good deed is not work, if it was, it would not be a good deed.

I am talking about being invisible in real life....not when you are just "doing a good deed".

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
But your not invisible to God, and he is the only one who counts.

So your advice is to just accept that we won't be noticed....and that being invisible is part of having a servant's heart.

Leaders and teachers get seen and praised and servants just get to be invisible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
All the time?

My daughter plays college softball. She is the spirit leader, does all the books, notices when someone is "down" or being picked on and build them up or calls those out who are being less than kind. She even brings her sewing kit and repairs uniforms in the dugout and designed the logo they had on their practice wear. I think she is a better than they give her credit for on the field but if she never gets any playing time, she can't get better. She even pitches almost every practice to give her teammates batting practice but they have never even put her on the mound this year to see how she does. She isn't a starting pitcher and she knows it because she doesn't have the high speed, but she is accurate and good under pressure and has a pitch that nobody can hit. There have been times where they should have put her in to shut an inning down and give the struggling pitcher a chance to regroup and warm up another pitcher.

This has been the story of her softball career since her dad died. When her dad was alive, coaches saw her. Since he died, they don't see her. She was better than her high school coach saw her and she proved this by making a college team as a walk on after being ignored by her high school coach. She was the only one on the high school team to make a college team. She knew she wouldn't be a starter but she was told that she was "a college level" player. Then they never told her what she was doing wrong or weak at ... and just let her sit in the dug out doing all the chores for the team without getting much playing time. Other girls who have whined get put in. She won't stoop to that.

I hope that she has gotten more out of the experience than the hurt that she hides when the don't put her in at all in a game or put her in when there is likely no way for her to succeed. I'd understand if she was worse than the other players but she isn't. I am now glad that I didn't force her into missing a trip with her friends to Japan because they would be leaving the week the team could be going to nationals. They still stand a really good chance to be going to nationals...but I'd rather she be having fun in Japan than sitting in a dugout wishing she could play in Mississippi.

I personally resent that the coaches haven't been honest with her...given her the option of not being on the team if they didn't intend to play her. Practice takes up a lot of time and dedication. She would have rathered been given the title of "manager" if that was going to be her role. I also resent that the coaches told me to stop taking her to her private lessons "because they would teach her what she needed to know"... and my daughter wouldn't make appointment with her private coach because she believe them. (I also think she was trying to save me money knowing it is always tight ... but I have always paid to help my kids be their best in the things that matter to them). I have to believe that God is preparing her for something in the future from this experience but it is hard to watch my daughter suffer ... knowing that I know exactly how she feels. I remember being on teams that I made by trying out ... but feeling like I was the team servant because I was the only one who knew how to run a washing machine when we were out of town and I sewed custom uniforms that we wanted but didn't exist in the real world. I didn't charge anything and I don't think I remember anyone saying thank you...and I always felt left out.

Sorry, what you were talking about, and what I thought you were talking about, are two totally different things.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So your advice is to just accept that we won't be noticed....and that being invisible is part of having a servant's heart.

Leaders and teachers get seen and praised and servants just get to be invisible.

Be encouraged
"God in his mercy has given us this work to do and so we are not discouraged" 2 Core 4:1

Be humble
"Yet we who have this spiritual treasure are like common clay pots, in order to show that the supreme power belongs to God, not to us" 2 Cor 4:7

God has given you the resources to do all you do, your daughter as well. It doesn't matter if you're not rewarded or valued for doing it.

This should be your focus:
"All this is for your sake; and as God's grace reaches more and more people, they will offer to the glory of God more prayers of thanksgiving"

This is your reward:
"We know that God, who raised the Lord Jesus to life, will also raise us up with Jesus and take us, together with you into his presence"

If you're waiting for people to reward and value you for your good works, you might not get it. God bless

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone close to me said a similar statement of recent. I honestly think when we are serving the Lord, the only recognition that matters is from the Lord. God notices your hard work, and your reward is from Him. There not much reward to those who receive their reward here. I really think the best way to serve God is to be willing to be nothing even if that makes us anonymous. Take heart and God bless.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are some people called just to be "invisible" to others. These are the people who have the heart of a servant and tend to do a lion share of the work and the people around them just believe those things "just happen" without seeing the effort put in. I know my mother was one of those people...she just stepped in and things around her "happened" without any attention being drawn to her. I think she prefers it that way and has even admitted that she is the time of person who wants to be at the party so she is involved but blend into the background so people aren't looking at her. I think I am much the same way but I want to be noticed even though I don't want to be the center of attention. However, I do want to have someone appreciate what I have done instead of just assume that it just happens. Now I see my daughter being the same way and yet I think she does want to be acknowledged for her hard work. That said...none of us ever seem to be noticed until we are gone and suddenly all the things don't "just happen". Is this just part of being called to be a servant ... to be part of the background?

I believe so...

For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. And if they were all one member, where were the body? But now are they many members, yet but one body. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary: And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked: That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
(1Co 12:12-27)

Upvote 0