• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Intuitions and inspirations: I think that I have figured it out

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by LOVEthroughINTELLECT, Oct 6, 2013.

1. juvenissun

juvenissun ... and God saw that it was good.

+776
    Baptist
    Married
    If you are a good scientist, then you do have a chance. Right?

On the other hand, if you do not have the assumed "truth" in your mind, then no matter how much you learn scientifically, you still do not have a clear view of the truth. It is much much harder to work it out this way, which is backward way.

In other words:

Truth --> evidences. Easy
    Evidences --> truth. Very hard. Usually get lost.

2. Naraoia

Naraoia Apprentice Biologist

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    That an objective reality outside of the observer exists is one of the fundamental assumptions of science. So I'm not sure how a good scientist would go about demonstrating it. (Not scientifically, I suppose)

3. juvenissun

+776
    Baptist
    Married
    Ha ha ... What do you think an "evidence" mean? If you find it in a right way, that is all you need.

In addition, we can make experiment based on the understanding to the evidences. If the experiment turned out to be successful, well, what would you say? Still skeptical? Fine, do another experiment. This is how a truth (objective reality) is "demonstrated".

As a human, that is all we can do.

4. Naraoia

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    I know what evidence means. (It's the thing that tends to slaughter my pet hypotheses ^_^) I'm not talking about individual truths about the outside world. I'm talking about the general idea that reality exists outside our minds.

5. juvenissun

+776
    Baptist
    Married
    I know what you meant. Why don't you clearly spell it out: God.
    God exists.

6. Naraoia

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    Huh?

Your reply makes it pretty clear that you don't know what I meant.

7. juvenissun

+776
    Baptist
    Married
    OK, I don't. Give an example is a good idea of teaching.

8. Naraoia

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    Fine. Can you show that your computer exists?

You might think you can. You can interact with it. You can see it, touch it, you can press the keys and see the result on the screen, you can even call in your friends and ask whether they see a computer.

However, everything you think you know about the outside world comes through your senses. You don't actually observe the computer - you observe your mind's interpretation of what your senses tell it. You don't even observe the friends you've just asked to verify your observation of the computer. Since you'll always be stuck behind your perception, you can never independently verify that you are actually perceiving external objects and not just making stuff up inside your head.

There is no deductive proof either - to prove anything, you have to assume something, and to prove your assumptions, you have to make other assumptions, ad infinitum.

(For the record, this is where I think philosophy becomes utterly pointless; for all practical purposes, our observations behave as though objective reality existed, deductive reasoning works, and assuming otherwise does nothing to help us learn about the world.)

9. granpa

granpa Noahide/Rationalist

+50
    Buddhist
    Private
    what is the difference between actually existing out there and behaving exactly as if it existed out there?

10. Naraoia

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    :) In practical terms, nothing. I guess that's precisely the point.

I possibly had a few too many classes on epistemology in school. ^_^

11. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,618
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    The achilles heel of pure intuition, is our psychological state or needs will basically use intuition to interpret, what you desire to interpret.

12. juvenissun

+776
    Baptist
    Married
    It is absolutely amazing that a conversation between two persons is seeming talking about one subject, but is absolutely running parallel without even touch each other. That is why I don't like strict philosophical discussion. I can never really know what exactly is talking about.

Now I see your point. And I will reinstate my idea with an example:

I have a computing machine in my mind first (the truth), then when I see a computer, or a calculator or an abacus, I will then say: look, that is the evidence of the truth I have.

In such a way, your problem is not a problem to me at all. I don't need to prove the existence of a computing machine. All I need to do is to show you an evidence which you can sense the same way as I can.

The key is that I need have the idea of a computing machine first. It simply appeared to me from the blue. If I don't have it first, then when I see a computer, calculator or abacus, I may not sense them as a computing machine, but something else not related to computing.

13. juvenissun

+776
    Baptist
    Married
    Exactly. Evidence alone will never tell you any truth.

14. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,618
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Intuition alone, doesn't use external verifiable evidence, which is why it can produce incorrect assumptions.

15. Naraoia

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    Hey, I finally found something we have in common. :thumbsup:

It's not a problem to me either. (See the parenthetical in the post above.)

Haha, I highly doubt you just suddenly had the idea of a computing machine. I find it more likely that you heard about them from someone. :p

16. Naraoia

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    I thought he said pretty much the exact opposite of that...

17. juvenissun

+776
    Baptist
    Married
    The difference is on the beholders.

Examples are many, such as a beauty. Is a beautiful girl the evidence on the existence of beauty?

18. juvenissun

+776
    Baptist
    Married
    It can also make a evolutional understanding.

19. granpa

+50
    Buddhist
    Private
    intuition results from applying inductive reasoning to the evidence at hand

20. granpa

+50
    Buddhist
    Private
    you missed the point entirely.
    If each beholder sees something different then it does not behave exactly as if it existed out there