• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Intrusive Vows

Swift18

Oct 29, 2020
Arcata
✟8,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey all, I'll try and keep this short and to the point. For about 5 years now, I've struggled with intrusive vows/thoughts. I didn't know scrupulosity existed up until last year when I discovered I had it. Well, I've recently enrolled in a University and my intrusive promises went crazy. They shifted to having promises with God, to having promises with evil spirits (a lot of people around here are into evil things, and that seed planted in my head). Its like my mind wants to make the worst thing possible. These promises would give up things, such as games for instance, in order to keep people safe. Should I just ignore "vows" all together?

Last edited:

justtrance

Dorcus
Oct 26, 2020
south
✟18,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
In reply to this post....You're going to get a lot of bible scriptures quoted and I will agree with all the scriptures. I believe that everyone should turn toward God for guidance, peace, help, safety, etc.

HOWEVER, in addition to God, some people NEED/REQUIRE medical and professional help (which is provided by God). I suggest, based on what you've described, that you seek medical help and counseling from a licensed mental health professional immediately. Do not delay because when you get the help that is provided there then you can be a better soldier for God and draw even closer to him with a more sound mind.

Upvote 0

Novis

Dec 11, 2014
✟19,339.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Its like my mind wants to make the worst thing possible.

That’s how OCD works, it thinks of the worst case scenario and keeps telling you that it’s right at the door. Unintentional promises are like any other unintentional thought, God probably isn’t bothered by them. But it’s best to seek help soon before they get worse.

Upvote 0

Dendy

Nov 30, 2014
✟19,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey. That's one of the things OCD does. I know how you feel. I've had terrible words to come in my mind while praying and it makes me sick. Sometimes it's like I hear voices but I don't really audibly hear them. They are just there. But here's the thing - God knows your heart. Remember that. God knows your heart! One of my medications has helped make the words not come so much. Try to not spend time with people who do bad things. Remember it's just thoughts. That doesn't mean you mean them. See a doctor if you haven't already. It can even be your general practitioner. Don't worry. Sometimes when it gets bad I say to God - Nothing I don't mean. I've told God that no matter if those words come I don't mean them and I never will. He knows.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Should I just ignore "vows" all together?

OCD intrusive thoughts etc are all part of mental illness and you need professional help, therapy and maybe medication to bring it all under some sort of control.

A couple of things to think about.

God does not make bargains with us. He is not interested in your not doing.......... Or whether you always wash your hands fifteen times before going out, or saying so may prayers.

God wants you and me t live for him.

God knows all about our thoughts, the holy spirit is living in us. He knows why we gave to charity or why we swore so vilely. He knows when intrusive thoughts cause someone to think or say what they don't mean. He know more judges that person then he judges a bed bound invalid for not attending church.

May I suggest you track down and read:-
25 tips for successfully treating one's OCD.
It has some useful tips on dealing with intrusive thoughts.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey all, I'll try and keep this short and to the point. For about 5 years now, I've struggled with intrusive vows/thoughts. I didn't know scrupulosity existed up until last year when I discovered I had it. Well, I've recently enrolled in a University and my intrusive promises went crazy. They shifted to having promises with God, to having promises with evil spirits (a lot of people around here are into evil things, and that seed planted in my head). Its like my mind wants to make the worst thing possible. These promises would give up things, such as games for instance, in order to keep people safe. Should I just ignore "vows" all together?
Making unwanted vows/promises is a very common obsession, as is praying to or communicating with the devil or evil spirits! Actually, I've had both of these obsessions before, since religious OCD (or scrupulosity) is the type of OCD that has bothered me most throughout the years. The great thing about scrupulosity/OCD is that it's highly treatable, if you're willing to work on it. I'll share a couple of my favorite resources below, and am willing to share more if you'd like them!
OCD & CHRISTIANITY – CHRISTIANITY
Welcome
Facebook Groups (online FB support group; many members have OCD/scrupulosity, as well as other anxiety disorders)

• Winner
Reactions: Swift18
Upvote 0