I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟45,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there anything wrong with being a home body? I am an introvert, and live a pretty simple life. I do have fibromyalgia, so I don't really go out to do much anyway...just a little shopping, visiting family, or walking.
I was extremely shy at a young age...but getting older, raising kids, and working, did help. I just am not too much of a people person. I guess this is bad being a christian?
I don't go out looking for people to save..and that kinda feels wrong. I do care for my home, help my husband, keep my grandkids...and help family when needed. I may have led a few people to christ...but its been in my family.

Anyone else an introvert too?

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
with Covid, no reason to risk going out
liking online shopping (didn't do before)
don't miss going to stores

we did go to parks during summer & walk trails
soon as it warms, we'll resume

before parenthood, worked & volunteered so put in my time with others

just fine only interacting with husband/child now

Last edited:
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I'm an introvert who his usually around way more people than I would rather be. The ability to work from home because of the pandemic has been introvert heaven.

I wouldn't feel bad about not being an extroverted evangelizer (I'm pretty sure that's not a word). Each member of the body of Christ has a function. Not all functions are the same. Each one of us is a unique snapshot of the infinite beauty of God. No one can glorify God in exactly the same way as you can, because there is only one, unique you. Maybe no one else could have reached that family member in the way that you did. God is using you, as only you can be used by God.

Back to being an introvert. We catch a lot of grief for not being more outgoing. If we're shy or quiet, people think we're stuck up. It's a pain living in a world made for extroverts. So, I'm not going to lie. I found it a bit amusing to hear all the whining from extroverts about being stuck at home. Poor baby.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello LittleK, am an introvert, and extrovert here.

Love people, the most important thing is to remember who you are in Christ Jesus. That has been the most important reminder to myself in this life where sometimes your mind likes to creep in and be like ' you aren't doing or good enough ' yeah right brain.

The faith of trusting God and the Lord Jesus Christ and loving others is enough and when we stay in relationship with God and the Lord Jesus Christ we can always remember nothing can separate from Gods love in Christ Jesus. We are also able to be set free of our anxiety when we go to God too, sometimes talking to others is hard for me though can manage with Gods help!

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Is there anything wrong with being a home body? I am an introvert, and live a pretty simple life. I do have fibromyalgia, so I don't really go out to do much anyway...just a little shopping, visiting family, or walking.
I was extremely shy at a young age...but getting older, raising kids, and working, did help. I just am not too much of a people person. I guess this is bad being a christian?
I don't go out looking for people to save..and that kinda feels wrong. I do care for my home, help my husband, keep my grandkids...and help family when needed. I may have led a few people to christ...but its been in my family.

You sound perfectly normal to me. Jesus often withdrew to solitary places...

1 Thessalonians 4:11 - And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

We live in an age of people who have to constantly be "amused" Cell phone, TV, etc,etc...
Its nice to hear there are people who like to "muse" Or to think...
"Be still and know that I am God"

Upvote 0

VintageAli

Dec 17, 2020
Pacific Northwest
✟8,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In modern American church culture it seems like to be a good Christian you have to be constantly busy - involved in this ministry, that social event, and of course, you must join one (or more) small groups.

But not everyone is the same, and not all (I would say probably most) cannot thrive with that sort of lifestyle.

I don't remember Jesus saying that to follow Him, you have to be an extrovert. I also don't see that everyone is called to be an evangelist (everyone has different giftings.) He's quite capable of saving people (He's the Savior after all.) If there are people outside of our daily lives He wants us introverts crossing paths with I also think He can show us and make it clear (my uber-introverted husband, who goes out of his way to NOT talk to strangers, has had this happen before.)

I know that a lot of people would find it scandalous, but hubby and I no longer attend church, in part because with all the expectations that come along with it, it's just WAY TOO EXHAUSTING. We need rest at this season of our lives, not more busyness. We do occasionally have extroverted friends try to get us involved in church activities. I don't think they will ever be able to understand us, and that the things they thrive on have the opposite effect for us, and I've had to let go of trying to make them understand.

While not written by a believer, the book "Quiet," by Susan Cain, was so helpful for me, in letting go of long-held guilt over not being more extroverted. She talks about our culture, how extroversion is held up as the ideal (she even briefly mentions modern American Christianity.) It was interesting how she contrasted 19th century American culture, and how it once valued the "Man of Character" (virtue and morals were held up as the ideal in a person), and then in the 20th century it shifted to valuing the "Man of Action," where being personable, gregarious and sociable became the new ideals. I think we now see that upheld everywhere as the ideal person, even (sadly) in the church.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Jesus and the Gospel can be shared online, through your testimony/articles/memes/videos/etc, via forums, social media, blogs, vlogs, etc. You share the content to plant the seed, then the rest is up to the Holy Spirit then, all the people we unknowingly helped come to salvation, we'll meet in the next life.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian

People often confuse introversion with shyness. For me, it means I need to recharge by being alone sometimes. It feels very restful to spend a weekend alone. When I teach, I feel like I am expending my energy.,

Extroverts are the opposite, and draw their energy from others.

You are the way God created you. In my experience, often being shy as well, I was often the person people came to when they needed to talk. As an introvert I am a good listener, listen before I respond.

When I was younger, there was a lot of pressure to go street preach and save people because Jesus could come anytime, so we were playing Beat The Clock. It felt awkward, the preaching seemed closer to cult recruitment, and I knew I was listening to other people tell me what God wanted rather than ask God.

I would be more drawn to you, a homebody neighbor inviting me for lemonade on your porch who demonstrated love and their faith gently than the man on the sidewalk with a blowhorn, calling me a sinner and that I have to repent now because Jesus might come in the next 15 minutes.

Be who God created.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Introvert here. Despite what some extraverts in the church may say, nothing wrong with it. Introvert/extravert is a wiring. Introverts have our challenges, extraverts have theirs too. Both need to be understanding and extend grace to one another.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

What does God call you to as His child? Does He give you the freedom to withdraw from others, those inconvenient strangers out there for whom He died and that He intends all of His children should evangelize and love with His self-sacrificing love?

Not entirely, no. Jesus made a regular habit of withdrawing to spend time alone with God. He always returned, however, to the crowds of sick, and needy, and spiritually blind, spending himself for their sakes as He worked to fulfill the will of His Father. Selfish withdrawal is not of God. When God rules us, we act His way, not our own, fulfilling His will, not ours. And that always requires the sacrifice of ourselves for those for whom Christ died. This was the apostle Paul's attitude:

2 Corinthians 12:15
15 And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved.

I don't go out looking for people to save..and that kinda feels wrong.

It isn't your job to save people but to share the Gospel with them. Not doing so is very wrong; for it hides the life-saving truth from those on their way to eternal hell.

2 Corinthians 4:3
3 ...if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.

God says in His word that, if we love Him, we will inevitably love others, the ones He loves and for whom gave His only Son (John 3:16).

Matthew 22:36-40
36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"
37 And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
38 "This is the great and foremost commandment.
39 "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'
40 "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Galatians 5:13-14
13 For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
14 For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟409,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah pray... that could be your ministry.

I was a terrible introvert when I came to Christ. Couldn’t put two sentences together. When I did get saved I knew he was going to make me do what I most feared. So I went to the park with a bible and tried to talk about Jesus. Then I did public speaking. It all has made me a little more human. But now I think what if I chose the quiet life. Give back all I’ve earned. Still an introvert but think I’m better now.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟29,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
While we all have to go out of our comfort zones at times, don't feel bad for how God made you. Remember when the crowds got to much for Jesus, he often went away by himself, and this during his brief, extremely important mission. I remember hearing once that as Christians get older and closer to God, human friends often become less important.

Another saying that seems relevant, the church went to Greece and became an idea, it went to Rome and became an institution, it came to America and became an enterprise. There often is too much busyness and not enough silence and self-examination in the US church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums