✟15,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

As my screen name indicates, I love studying God's Word. I have ever since I became a Christian a long time ago. This sounds like a place to have very fruitful conversation. I'm interested in anyone wanting to know how to better love God and serve Him.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

As my screen name indicates, I love studying God's Word. I have ever since I became a Christian a long time ago. This sounds like a place to have very fruitful conversation. I'm interested in anyone wanting to know how to better love God and serve Him.
Welcome to CF!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Olly Vie

Jan 3, 2019
North Carolina
✟19,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello AvidReader,
You are most welcome to the platform. Its always awesome for believers to come together from every background and fellowship. I also love the lord and try every year to read through the bible. I have also realized that there is also audio version of reading through the bible in a year. its been really awesome listening when on the go or working in the house. Have wonderful and blessed week.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

pam4him

May 15, 2018
Jacksonville
✟25,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Welcome AvidReader1! I, too, enjoy studying God's Word. And I just love God's timing. Our church wrapped up a study on Revelations 1-3 tonight and I have a much better understanding of the letters to the churches. One interesting thing I didn't know was why Laodicea was called lukewarm. If I may share a moment, Laodicea had little water. They built aquaducts to pipe it in from nearby Hieropolis and Colossae. Hieropolis had hot springs and Colossae had snowcapped mountains. The hot spring water and melted snow water both turned lukewarm by the time it reached Laodicea. It had in effect lost it's identity. Jesus was referring to this loss of identity of the Christians in Laodicea when he called them lukewarm. Mind blown! But in a good way. Again, welcome and let the conversations begin.

Upvote 0

AvidReader1

Jan 27, 2019
Memphis
✟15,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Welcome AvidReader1! I, too, enjoy studying God's Word. And I just love God's timing. Our church wrapped up a study on Revelations 1-3 tonight and I have a much better understanding of the letters to the churches. One interesting thing I didn't know was why Laodicea was called lukewarm. If I may share a moment, Laodicea had little water. They built aquaducts to pipe it in from nearby Hieropolis and Colossae. Hieropolis had hot springs and Colossae had snowcapped mountains. The hot spring water and melted snow water both turned lukewarm by the time it reached Laodicea. It had in effect lost it's identity. Jesus was referring to this loss of identity of the Christians in Laodicea when he called them lukewarm. Mind blown! But in a good way. Again, welcome and let the conversations begin.

That's very interesting! All of God's Word is filled with rich treasures, some just underneath the surface, some which require a bit more digging. One of the things I've found is that many people miss the obvious because they come to Scripture with the preconceived things they have been taught. I'm not criticizing what we've been taught because that is very necessary to our individual Christian personas. I've been in Bible-teaching churches for over 50 years and sometimes a fresh look is helpful (and rare). It is good to look at the Bible from different perspectives.

If you go to Thru-the-Bible . . . as It Happened and click on the video, you'll get a good sense of who I am as a Christian and the integrity and authority I see in God's Word. Since reading the Scriptures chronologically, I don't want to go in any other direction. Seeing them in the perspective off those who wrote it is immensely gratifying.

Hope to hear from you again.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pam4him

May 15, 2018
Jacksonville
✟25,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've heard about the chronological order, but not had the opportunity to study that way yet. I look forward to that. I'm currently studying Proverbs, enjoying finding the depth of the wisdom, which is more than the oft quoted sayings, often flippantly.

Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

AvidReader1

Jan 27, 2019
Memphis
✟15,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've heard about the chronological order, but not had the opportunity to study that way yet. I look forward to that. I'm currently studying Proverbs, enjoying finding the depth of the wisdom, which is more than the oft quoted sayings, often flippantly.
There are several "chronological" guides available, but many of them are so loosely put together, they really shouldn't be called chronological. When you see just chapters grouped together and rearranged, that's not chronological. If they can print out the schedule on one piece of paper, that's not really chronological. A serious study of the Scriptures for chronological purposes, sometimes even divides in the middle of a verse. The one I referenced (Thru-the-Bible . . . as It Happened) is the most thorough one you can get, I think. It's pretty expensive, but it sure is good. Anything that has great value is going to be comparatively expensive.

Speaking about the way a chronological reading goes, there is simply nothing else like it. Because you read the events in correct order, you really get a sense of the background, of what's going on. You sense the time relationships between the events and between the characters. For example, Jacob was in his 70's when he left his father's house to go to Laban. Were we ever given that information in our classes, or in our sermons? Solomon was only 58 when he died. And he died completely apart from fellowship with the Lord. Would that information help us to re-examine his life and view it through different lenses?

A real chronological reading does all kinds of things like that. And the notes in this product are superb. They provide such fresh insight. A person will learn a lot from them, but the genius in the notes is that they are devotional at the same time they are educational. That means a person grows spiritually at the same time he is increasing his knowledge. I can't tell you how wonderful it is.

You mention the Proverbs. In this program, the proverbs are interspersed throughout the readings, in places where an event illustrates the teaching of a particular proverb. There are really good backgrounds on each book of the Bible, there is some poetry; numerous contemporary and past Christian leaders are quoted all throughout the work. It is an overall balanced study.

The one drawback is that the Scripture text is not printed along with the study material. You have to actually read out of your own Bible. But you can view the schedule and notes on your computer with your Bible at hand, or you could print out the material and sit in your easy chair as you study. Maybe a future version will be produced which puts the Scripture text in, too. But, surely, that would be a lot of work.

Just saying! Hope this has helped you. You sound like you may be a kind of new Christian. Are you?

• Informative
Upvote 0

pam4him

May 15, 2018
Jacksonville
✟25,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not at all! Saved 38 years ago, active church member, sunday school teacher, devotional writer, etc. The chronological is just something I've not gotten to do yet. My husband is an avid apologetics student and that's where my focus has been for a while and I enjoy it. I will see about getting a copy of Thru-the-Bible.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Welcome to the forums. I am sure you will find many here with whom to have fruitful and interesting conversations.

Upvote 0