Introducing myself…

Feb 3, 2010
✟15,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hullo good people.

As you might guess from my moniker, I am an atheist. There is no malice or demonry sewn up in this identifier – it is merely a fact that I have never, and likely never will believe in any supernatural being. Perhaps it is a personal shortcoming, perhaps it is not. In any case, I do hope that you will reserve judgment in favour of open, productive conversation.

I am hoping that you may help me. I have sought for some time to understand what motivates a person to become a believer. I thought that this might be the best forum to investigate this phenomenon. Wouldn't you?

This is not an attempt to harry you good people with inefficacious drivel intended to humiliate or injure. In fact, I am desperate to understand you, because I am in a life-relationship with one of you. :love:

I think that you can understand, then, my presence here. Peace through understanding, eh what?

And so…

I am supposing that it would be entirely fruitless to ask of you your reasons for being christians. This would be opening a very subjective box, and neither you nor I can presume that I would understand these notions. Furthermore, I have previewed many of your threads with other atheists on this forum, and really – how these things can become wanton silliness so quickly!

As I maintain that profundity lies in fact, I hope to be able to keep my questions as objective as possible. Perhaps instead of my asking, "Why are you a christian?" I could instead ask, "What things originally brought you to the christian faith?"

Well, what people or events did originally bring you to the christian faith?
I am eager to know.

Thank you very much for your time and serious responses.

-The Gentleman Atheist

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A couple reasons. My spiritual need and objective overwhelming circumstantial evidence of the bible. I had a dark deep void as a young teen and knew there had to be more to life than getting up, working and going to bed. Plus, the creation around me-the trees, flowers, the human cell etc. had to be created because its very very complex compared to your car. Next, I went to a church a coworker told me about and I have been very content ever since! Its been 30 years as a born again christian.

Next, objective evidence. Sources are www.TheBibleProofBook.com, and a book called The Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell and Examine the Evidence by Muncaster (a former athiest), www.reasons.org Science and Belief. I don't always bring up evidence because if people already have their mind made up no matter what-you can show them all the evidence in the world-it wouldn't matter. Thus, its a spiritual decision first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2009
✟7,658.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It seems that you ARE a gentleman. Very polite way to start a discussion.

I came to Christ at an early age. I grew up in church as far back as I can remember. I had heard the story of Adam and Eve and even believed it, and I remember being aware of sinning. I used to ask Jesus in my heart many times without really believing or understanding. When I was nine I had the opportunity to hear about hell and again that Jesus loved me, personally. What can I say, when I heard it I believed it.

"For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:17

Before coming to Christ I used to memorize verses from the Old Testament about the "wrath" of God and I used to picture God up in heaven waiting for me to mess up so He could strike me with a lightning bolt. It was when I finally understood God's purpose was not to destroy me, but to give me life, that's when I accepted Christ.

"Marvel not that I said unto thee, ye must be born again." John 3:7
"Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith." Gal. 3:24
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

How I came to Christ is pretty textbook, I guess. Still, it doesn't lessen how much He has changed my life.
:sweetdream: PEACE, LOVE, JOY

"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly of heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls, For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you."John 14:27a

I think anyone on this forum would agree that the difference between us and you is that we don't believe the world has anything valuable to offer. I hope you come to the point of realizing that for yourself.

"Every good and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." James 1:17
"Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift." II Cor. 9:15

Jesus is the unspeakable gift, so I'll just shut up now.

Upvote 0

Van

Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
California
✟9,814.00
Faith
Christian
Conversations run both ways. What people or events did originally bring you to reject God and His Christ?

I grew up in a "Christian" home, and so in my natural mimicking of my parents, I accepted the premise of God and Jesus without challenge. I grew up thinking I was "saved." Then, when I was about 12, I watched a stupid movie on TV, about early Christians. There were the leads, in love, but in a subplot, a boy just about my age was also presented. At the end of the movie, the Christians, including the leads and the boy, were rounded up and taken to something like a dungeon, and the camera presented them as behind vertical bars. Then the bars slowly rose, and they walked out into the area with smiles on their faces, to face the lions. I knew then that I was not a Christian, for I lacked the courage to sacrifice myself.

Then at age 15, I realized I could trust in Christ, and just do my best, I did not have to be perfect, I could put on the breastplate of righteousness. So I committed myself to Christ, I had always believed in Him, but I had not been willing to trust Him with my life.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2009
✟7,658.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Conversations run both ways. What people or events did originally bring you to reject God and His Christ?

I grew up in a "Christian" home, and so in my natural mimicking of my parents, I accepted the premise of God and Jesus without challenge. I grew up thinking I was "saved." Then, when I was about 12, I watched a stupid movie on TV, about early Christians. There were the leads, in love, but in a subplot, a boy just about my age was also presented. At the end of the movie, the Christians, including the leads and the boy, were rounded up and taken to something like a dungeon, and the camera presented them as behind vertical bars. Then the bars slowly rose, and they walked out into the area with smiles on their faces, to face the lions. I knew then that I was not a Christian, for I lacked the courage to sacrifice myself.

Then at age 15, I realized I could trust in Christ, and just do my best, I did not have to be perfect, I could put on the breastplate of righteousness. So I committed myself to Christ, I had always believed in Him, but I had not been willing to trust Him with my life.

Interesting Van,

The tool God used in my conversion was also a movie, "A Thief in the Night," about Christian martyrs at the guilloutine. Reminds me of the verse...
"And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire..."Jude 23

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
God.

In the form of a nagging, inescapable, calling to learn about him and participate in his community of people - ie a local church congregation.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well, the way I became a Christian is rather different than most, I think. As a 5 year old boy, I was tormented by spiritual forces. One day, I heard about Jesus, and on one of those nights of torment, asked Him to help. And He did. I had an out of body experience, and stood before a being that radiated pure white light. I felt the most wonderful love and peace. Shortly afterwards, I was back in the physical world, and my life was never the same again. I've also experienced the influence of the Spirit if God - He stopped me from dying in accidents a few times. Once, He took full control of my body, to save me from certain death. I was just awestruck to see Him take over. It touched my heart to the very core.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As you might guess from my moniker, I am an atheist. There is no malice or demonry sewn up in this identifier – it is merely a fact that I have never, and likely never will believe in any supernatural being. Perhaps it is a personal shortcoming, perhaps it is not. In any case, I do hope that you will reserve judgment in favour of open, productive conversation.

I am hoping that you may help me. I have sought for some time to understand what motivates a person to become a believer. I thought that this might be the best forum to investigate this phenomenon. Wouldn't you?

This is not an attempt to harry you good people with inefficacious drivel intended to humiliate or injure. In fact, I am desperate to understand you, because I am in a life-relationship with one of you.

Why is it necessary to understand why we have come to faith in Christ? You aren't in a "life-relationship" with any of us. Why not simply inquire of your love interest about her own faith?

Perhaps instead of my asking, "Why are you a christian?" I could instead ask, "What things originally brought you to the christian faith?"

I am eager to know.

My faith began as a child. Initially, God used the fear of hell to prompt me to take His gift of salvation. This motive for entering into a relationship with Him has altered entirely, however. Now, it is the daily fellowship with God and the excellent rational reasons for faith in Him that prompt my Christian worldview.

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dionysiou

Feb 2, 2010
Narnia
✟10,488.00
Country
Bahamas
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Searched for God with all my heart and found Him. I thought, why not give it a go, what have i got to lose? Also spiritual experiences both in the physical and in vision are amazingly convincing. If you pray for spiritual wisdom and understanding so you may better serve God, thats when things started going awesome wooohoooo, praise God. love you Jesus.

Upvote 0

norswede

Jun 9, 2009
✟8,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hullo good people.

This is not an attempt to harry you good people with inefficacious drivel intended to humiliate or injure. In fact, I am desperate to understand you, because I am in a life-relationship with one of you. :love:

I think that you can understand, then, my presence here. Peace through understanding, eh what?

And so…

I am supposing that it would be entirely fruitless to ask of you your reasons for being christians. This would be opening a very subjective box, and neither you nor I can presume that I would understand these notions. Furthermore, I have previewed many of your threads with other atheists on this forum, and really – how these things can become wanton silliness so quickly!

As I maintain that profundity lies in fact, I hope to be able to keep my questions as objective as possible. Perhaps instead of my asking, "Why are you a christian?" I could instead ask, "What things originally brought you to the christian faith?"

I am eager to know.

Thank you very much for your time and serious responses.

-The Gentleman Atheist

First of all, I guess I will explain what happened when I became a Christian. After I gave my life to God with all my heart, I was filled with a peace I have never felt before. My fear also completely dissapeared. I used to be terrified by what was going on in the world but after I received the Holy Spirit, my fear was gone. I also received a special gift from God when I was born again (meaning when I accepted Jesus as my savior and Lord over my life and recieved the Holy Spirit) I am able to ask God a question concerning my life and (If it is a serious question, not something trivial) a verse comes to mind and when I look it up, it answers my question. I also have very vivid dreams in which I talk to Jesus personally, although this has only happened twice in my life. It is also true that those who are truly born again, are guided in a very powerful way in different directions in their lives by the Holy Spirit. I would probably describe it as a thought that just won't go away along with a feeling of peace and excitement at the same time (knowing that it will all work out and excitement about accomplishing it) Anytime I have had this feeling, I not only accomplished the goal I was led towards, I accomplished it almost miraculously. A few examples would be, A few years ago, we were going through a really hard time financially and had under $100 left in the bank to buy groceries for the last 2 weeks of the month. We have 2 children and were terrified. We were walking to the store to buy as many groceries as we could and we found a gift card to Safeway on the ground (I don't know if you have a Safeway in the states but it's a grocery store we have here in Canada) It had $500 on it. There was no name on it so there was no way of verifying who it belonged to so we kept it and it got us through the rest of the month as well as a week into the following month. Another example happened more recently. I didn't finish high school and my marks weren't very good so I never went to College. Just recently I got a strong feeling that it was time to go back to school. When I heard that I had to pass an accuplacer exam to get into my course, I almost gave up but that feeling kept pulling at me to do it, so I gave it a try and I still can't believe how well I did. I only needed to land in the 50th percentile in order to pass but instead, I was in the 98th percentile on the first part of the test and the 99th percentile on the second. Everything just came to me as if I had always known it. Part of it was from studying. I studied Math online, a subject I had failed miserably in school and found that it was coming so easily to me. The english portion was impossible to study for because most of it was reading comprehension. I had always been decent at most areas of English but I hated reading comprehension. But when I took the test, all the answers seemed like common sense to me and I almost fell over when I found out my test results. But probably the Biggest miracle that has happened in my life was when I quit smoking. I had struggled with it for over 10 years and then in July of 2008, I decided that it was the biggest thing in my life that was keeping me from following God so I prayed for him to help me quit and a few days after I had a horrible cold and I coughed everytime I tried to smoke and when the cold was gone, I no longer had cravings and haven't smoked since. These are just some of the reasons why I KNOW without a doubt that God is real and is guiding my life.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2010
✟15,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hullo, good people.

I drop this quick note to let you know that I appreciate the flood of responses to my query. I do appreciate your interest.

I find myself terribly busy with business matters, and I hope to address your posts on Wednesday.

Valuing your time and thoughts.
Until Wednesday, cheers.
Yours, respectfully,

The Gentleman Atheist

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hi again :)

I thought I'd add something that really touched me. A while ago, we had an oil fire in our kitchen. I started to panick, and asked the Spirit of God to help. He simply took over and everything was sorted in minutes. That's one thing I adore about Christianity - we receive God's Spirit to help, guide and teach us. His love is so mindblowing - there's nothing like it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

whereisthetruth

Sep 1, 2008
Australia
✟15,533.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Welcome the_gentleman_atheist. As a former atheist I can understand the curiosity behind your enquiry. Before I was converted I found that on an intellectual level I was bemused and often offended by what I viewed as the overly simplistic and often just stupid claims of people who called themselves "Christians". I used to get quite alot of entertainment out of witnessing how these believers often carried on, and concluded that if there was a God, he certainly was not being evidenced by these people. Believe me, I still have that view of what some people try to pass of as "Christianity". But then stupidity isn't confined to one group of people is it?

If I am honest, behind this curiosity was actually quite a degree of pride and smugness that I would never have identified if certain events had not happened in my life. I was a mere 24 years of age and just experiencing a marriage separation. I was gutted, after having placed so much hope in my marriage. But I was wed at such a young age, and I simply had no idea how marriage should work. Coming from a broken home, and looking for the comfort and stability of a life relationship had a strong appeal, but I lacked the life skills and maturity to make my dream a reality.

So, there I was at such a young age, seemingly doomed to repeat the failures I saw in my father. I was devastated, and fearful that I was ill equipped for life as I wished it to be.

However, something happened that made a massive impact on my life. I was visiting some friends one evening, around Easter time, and at the end of the evening I was the last one to leave. These friends were Christians, not that I cared much, but I did enjoy their non-judgmental and friendly approach to me. The conversation got around to what was happening in our lives, and I started to share how I was feeling about the separation with my wife. So, they simply asked if they could pray for me.

I was not shocked but a bit surprised by this. Nobody had ever asked me if they could pray for me before. I wasn't a 'believer', but I didn't want to offend them. After all they were being kind, I thought, so I didn't feel that it would be polite to refuse them.

This prayer wasn't any old 'God bless Steve' kind of prayer. These friends prayed over me in 'tongues', laying their hands on me. One even gave me some words of encouragement saying that she felt God was saying that He would do something powerful in my life. I can remember thinking 'what is going on here' and quietly planning a quick exit if things got more wierd.

Anyway, I escaped unscathed from that episode, and on the way home I just thought to myself 'nice people, but really wierd!' and didn't think much more of it than that.

But that was far from the end of the matter. A few days later I was at home doing some cleaning. It was Easter and I took the couple of days off to clean my kitchen. I was right in the middle of cleaning my oven when, for no apparent reason I just started to well up with tears. At that moment I can only say that I felt like someone was giving me a huge 'inside hug'. That's all it was. No words, no other sensation other than the realization that I was being loved by someone - some'thing' that was making themselves very powerfully present.

Those initial tears broke into deep sobs from deep down somewhere, and I ended up on the floor for what seemed like hours. I just kept saying, 'I need you, I want you!' to whom exactly I didn't know, but I knew it was God somehow.

Anyway, about what seemed like hours later I got up and instantly I got an urge to get hold of a bible. I had always had problems reading the bible and had never been able to get past the first chapter. It just didn't make sense, and I couldn't read it for more than a few minutes. But now, even though I didn't own a bible I was desperate to read it.

I could go on for hours. To cut a long story short, that day was a 'night to day' conversion. It didn't involve any intellectual process at all, yet I didn't feel strange letting myself embrace this new reality. In the months that followed, I got a bible and actually enjoyed reading it for the first time in my life. Somehow I felt that the story included me, even though it was written thousands of years ago. I rang my friends who had prayed for me and they were excited, and recommended a local church to attend, which I did. It was a church full of people like them, wierd, but nice!

That was almost 30 years ago. Since then I have never once wavered in my conviction that God is real and powerfully active in my life. Have I ever had bad days since? Absolutely! Have I ever had questions that I found difficult to work through? Again, absolutely! Have I got God all worked out? Certainly not! Sometimes I have difficulty coming to terms with some things to do with 'Christianity'. I am a bit of a 'maverick' on some issues, and disagree with some things that the churches do and teach. I think that many 'Christians' miss the point about what God is all about, and substitute a living, dynamic relationship with Him for a set of boring and useless rules and rituals. I even sometimes feel like giving church a miss altogether when I see what goes on, but if Jesus has a plan for the church and he died to bring it about, then I just have to accept that He has a plan to work it all out.

Sorry for the long story. There is so much more that I could say. But the reality is this. There are infinite reasons to not believe in God, if that is what you are looking for. God won't stop you from building a dossier against him. You can also look at Christians and find any number of very bad examples to support your viewpoint. But, I have found that God has a way of breaking through anyway. When the time is right, even without your 'permission' He is able to burst into your life totally unanounced. What he will not do is reveal himself on your terms. What he will do is totally mess you up, for the better. You might find yourself being confronted not by a 'religion' but by the living person you fought so hard against in your heart and mind. And when it happens, (and I pray it does), you will be so surprised that you have become a 'believer' that it will seem unreal and spooky for awhile. But it takes awhile to get used to reality.

Anyway the_gentleman_atheist, that's my story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2010
✟15,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Salud, Salida. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
A couple reasons. My spiritual need and objective overwhelming circumstantial evidence of the bible. I had a dark deep void as a young teen and knew there had to be more to life than getting up, working and going to bed. Plus, the creation around me-the trees, flowers, the human cell etc. had to be created because its very very complex compared to your car. Next, I went to a church a coworker told me about and I have been very content ever since! Its been 30 years as a born again christian.
If I might ask, are you able to expound more accurately upon "objective overwhelming circumstantial evidence of the bible". From my point of view, the bible (which I have read both of the christian testaments) has always seemed more akin to a record of oral literature – something like the Iliad. So you can see why I might find an early people's literature as somewhat subjective and literary. I think I need you to explain.

Also, "dark deep void" sound like most teenagers that I have known, haha! I believe the feeling is angst (kind of a feeling of fear, anger, and guilt all rolled up in one) and it is somewhat of a normal developmental stage for the teen. Does my assessment sound accurate?

I am curious to know what type of church it was that you first visited. And, if you are willing to share – what were your family's beliefs? Did you investigate the new church from a crèche of atheism, old-world christianity, judaism? I am interested to know.

Next, objective evidence. Sources are …
Hmm… Could it not be said that these books (and perhaps all books) are the subjective opinions of their writers? To a point, what is it about these books that make them a more qualified source than the books of Dr. Dawkins?

I don't always bring up evidence because if people already have their mind made up no matter what-you can show them all the evidence in the world-it wouldn't matter. Thus, its a spiritual decision first.
Interesting. I will ponder this.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2010
✟15,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think anyone on this forum would agree that the difference between us and you is that we don't believe the world has anything valuable to offer. I hope you come to the point of realizing that for yourself.

Oh my goodness dear lady, I do beg to differ.
Why, there is great beauty, even in this conversation between you and I. Do you not think so? The very language that we use is such a wonder it is beyond contemplation (please excuse my hyperbole). The gift of life – should it be wasted by a belief that what we experience is unimportant because it is "merely" tangible? Oh! Do perish the thought! (Though it is a wonderful thing that you are able to have that thought.)

Additionally, I have to respectfully disagree on your general assessment of this forum. I myself have christian acquaintances who feel that this world has very great value. Surely, there must be like-minded souls on an ecumenical forum such as this?

I agree that your path to christ does appear to be "textbook". I will allow the other christian posters here to disagree, but I can not. What leaves me with curiosity is the events immediate pertaining to the sudden epiphany at nine-years-old that you mention. Were there any specific events surrounding this? Again, my mind wonders about this.

Thanking you for your time, and response.

The Gentleman Atheist

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2010
✟15,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh, that reminds of a very clever story about my uncle. I would be pleased if you would allow me to relate it. Oh well – here goes.

My uncle captured a pair of mountain lions while travelling in the colonies. He kept them at his estate, and they had a very comfortable life. He loved these beasts, and insisted on feeding them personally. One week I was staying at his estate, and I saw him enter the feeding area. I was terrified for him, in this small, enclosed area with these ferocious wild animals! He just twirled his walrus mustache and winked at me, "Nothing to fear, little fellow," and produced a few juicy steaks for the hungry mountain lions. Expecting them to devour these steaks (and my uncle) posthaste, I was surprised when the huge cats looked up at my uncle and plaintively told him, "mew." Then they ate the steaks.
What made me think of this was my uncle's smile at that point, and if it resembled the smiles of your christian actors. Do you recall what the title of the movie was? I can look up a copy.

I assume that you were still attending your parents' church at this point? Was it in church that you had this realization? And what, prithee, is "breastplate of righteousness"?!

Ah yes, an excellent question; thank you for asking. I would be honoured to answer you.
My family was of the church of King Henry, and I did attend services with them through the early part of my life. I can not declare that the ecclesiastical literature made sense to me – even at an early age I found the premises contradictory and with little foundation. (I believe, in retrospect, that the social involvement had much to do with my parents' association with the church.) Then one day my nanny or someone told me a seemingly unrelated fact – that Santa Claus and the Easter Rabbit and even the Tooth Fairy were not real. They were merely, "nice ways to give gifts to others," as she quaintly phrased it. Suddenly so many things made sense! It was mere people that was behind all of these mysticisms! Hence, the extrapolation to supernatural deities – even my family's own "God" – was a natural revelation.

So glad to discuss this with you, Van. I anticipate your responses with eagerness.
Sincerely,
The Gentleman Atheist

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2010
✟15,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Intresting.... I find it strange when atheists use this forum but never the less i welcome you to christian forums god bless you, I find it fascinating that atheists think nothing created everything.

Dear sir, I do not believe this statement that you make about "nothing" and "everything". Why should you attribute it to me? Indeed, I find it an odd thing that you can indiscriminately generalize about the many good atheist persons that I know. Their views on origin are disparate; and I expect that christian views on origin are equally as disparate.

Am I right to take umbrage at your comment, or is it true that all christians have the exact same set of beliefs?

I am not prepared to throw down my glove at your feet, sir, but I do ask that you review my original post wherein I openly declare my purposes for using this forum.

Thank you.

The Gentleman Atheist

Upvote 0