Oct 27, 2017
Lynchburg
✟10,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Are there any good commentaries of the Revelation of John?
How do you know what it’s prophesying?

I came across a Baha’i intrepration of the 11th chapter in particular. The two witnesses are Muhammad and Ali (founder of Shia Islam) and the Beast is the Umayyads who rose up against the faith.

Then it prophecies the coming of Bahá’u’llá after the Quranic revelaton.
“And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.”36 As was already explained, in the terminology of the Sacred Scriptures three days and a half signifies three years and a half, and three years and a half represents forty-two months, and forty-two months—1,260 days. Since according to the explicit text of the Bible each day is equivalent to a year, this means that for 1,260 years, which is the duration of the Qur’anic Dispensation, the nations, tribes, and peoples would behold their bodies; that is, they would keep the religion of God before their eyes but would not act in accordance with it. Yet they would not suffer these bodies—the religion of God—to be laid to rest in the grave. That is, they would hold fast to its outward form and not let it entirely vanish from their midst nor allow the body to be wholly destroyed and annihilated. Rather, they would forsake its reality while out-wardly preserving its name and remembrance.”
Some Answered Questions

So why I am supposed to take your intrepration over this one? Obviously you don’t think Islam is a witness to God and you don’t think Bahá’u’llá is a spiritual return of Jesus. But how can we know, apart from faith, what these passages really mean? Because based on faith on the Spirit, I believe the Baha’i version. But rationally it seems to say whatever you want it to

Last edited:

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,327.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Since this is fundamentalist forum, the basis of discussion is the scriptures, and the context of those scriptures. From the context of the book of Revelation, the basis of prophecy explained in Revelation 19:10, "The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." Therefore, if the prophecy or interpretation of the prophecy doesn't amount to the testimony of Jesus Christ, it isn't a christian theology or a correct reading of the text.
This would be like me going into the Qu'ran and using the narrative use of "we" as proof of the trinity. In the same sense, it's good to stay on topic. The teachings in the Christian bible teach that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, That Jesus is God, and explains this in terms of the Trinity.
I'll pray for your salvation, may God bless you.

Upvote 0

MysticMonist

Oct 27, 2017
Lynchburg
✟10,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
We are going to disagree since this is a fundamentalist/literalist sub-forum. I don’t believe the meaning of scripture (Old and New Testament) is inherently and self-evidently clear. It’s a bunch of texts from very different authors with different points of view. Your faith tradition (theologically orthodox Christainity and more specifically Protestantism) brings an intrepration to the text that makes it a coherent story. You emphasize some texts and deemphasize others. That way you reach the conclusion that Jesus is God and salvation thru faith in Jesus Christ is the message of the OT and the NT. Yes certain parts of individual texts say this, but other texts within the Cannon give the revelation a different spin so to speak.
The idea that Jesus isn’t talking about Mohammad or Bahá’u’llá, the witnesses and revelations to come, can’t be ruled on text alone, especially if one is not a literalist.
How do we know what the text really means, since on the surface it isn’t clear? Faith and divine illumination. You see Jesus acting in Gensis 1. Yet in a literal sense he doesn’t appear in the text.

I’d be all for sola scriptura if that means I can put greater emphasis on Ezekiel and the Song of Songs and say Paul is a product of his cultural context. The Bible is a huge book with many themes to choose from.

Upvote 0

MysticMonist

Oct 27, 2017
Lynchburg
✟10,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
We don’t have to get into our differing theological beliefs. I was curious by what standard or method you interpret Revelation at all, especially if you aren’t of the Left Behind camp which takes it super-literally (but even then it’s obviously metaphors in a dream, not historical past events). A literalist reading would simply be that John actually had a dream and reports it faithfully. Do you believe Ezekiel saw actual wheeling chariots? That’s also a dream. Or there is an actual angel filled ladder to and from heaven? Saying they are metaphors doesn’t reduce literalism or bibilical innerancy. Saying the Exodus is only metaphor would.

Anyways, I feel quite humbled as I’m sitting before the tabernacle and eternal flame at church this morning before service. I must admit I’m baffled by the continued insistence of seeing things only one way of Protestantism. But I do think that it’s okay to see things the way you do. I know Jesus Christ is God’s anointed, and He does not lie. Of course I think there’s some debate on what Jesus actually said and did. But I do think the Christain Church contains within it the true faith: Love God, Love neighbor.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,327.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If you're non-trinitarian and quoting the Quran, isn't there another more appropriate place to post your question? I can post according to the rules of this subforum, but it wouldn't result in much of an answer to your question.

Upvote 0

MysticMonist

Oct 27, 2017
Lynchburg
✟10,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I’m just curious how you all interpret revelations? It’s the last book in the Bible, there isn’t any further scripture to interpret it.

And if the gospels interpret the OT, and the epistles interpret the gospels, then what stops a new text/revelation intreprating them? I don’t see how you are able to do this.

There is no objective standard for biblical interpretation. You reject apostolic succession. So the southern baptist convention can say they want, but it’s no better than the gnostics. Sola Scriptura

Last edited:
Upvote 0