Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it was because folks used to recieve separately, and sometimes they would take home the Body and the Blood and do pagan experiments and treat the Eucharist kinda like a superstition. so the two are given together to prevent that.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
yep, and an interesting factoid is that the clergy (and if we still had Emperors) recieve the Body and Blood separately at the altar

I believe I read that in one of my books, probably one by Bishop Ware (I love his writing).

It was really fascinating to learn about the Emperor being the Protector of Christianity, and the interesting role he played within the church.

Edit: Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, Thanks for the heads up Anhelyna :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The Bible is silent on the matter, largely because it is not a liturgical manual. A diversity of practices existed in the ancient church. Indeed, even in the modern church, the clergy receive in separate forms and receive the body of Christ in the hand. However, if you've observed the rite for doing so, you would perhaps understand why such is probably not a reasonable method in modern times to dole out communion to the laity. It's very cumbersome to do properly, particularly when the host was leavened and all particles taken from the same host. The exact practice of intinction and spooning it out is a pastoral and liturgical matter rather than something dictated by divine law.

Upvote 0