Intinction(dipping bread in wine) ; What Baptist do this?

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
There are many conflicting traditions that sap all the meaning out of communion, even causing ex communion!
It really doesn't matter how we do it, as long as we proclaim the death of Jesus. That must not obscured with overbearing procedural rules and regulations.
I believe simplicity is always best and for that reason I tend to take communion in homes rather than church meetings where rigmarole rules the day.

It is almost certain that they dipped the bread in the cup of wine, just as they would most likely have dipped their bread in a shared pot of stew.

Cutlery is a very recent invention. Food was usually scooped up with bread or with the fingers from a common pot. Given that the passover would consist in eating a roast lamb probably with stewed vegetables in a pot, a loaf of bread would be necessary to scoop or hold the food.

In the midst of that meal, Jesus suddenly deviates from the norm as he demonstrates that it is He, not the lamb, that is the real sacrifice. To do so, He replaces the shared lamb with a shared cup of wine and bread that is passed around. It fits that the bread would be dipped in the wine.

Even today it is a common practice in Mediterranean meals to dip bread into wine, or wine and oil.

Reactions: sfs
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is very troubling to me to do this at communion where we are "supposedly" simulating what took place at The Last Supper with our Lord Jesus Christ; I guess if I were of something other than Baptist, it wouldn't make a difference.
Why the focus on simulating the Last Supper, anyway, rather than commemorating it? If we were actually simulating it, we would drink wine rather than grape juice (which most Baptists use), eat a full meal, and recline at a table instead sitting in pews -- and there would only be 12 of us in the room.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why the focus on simulating the Last Supper, anyway, rather than commemorating it? If we were actually simulating it, we would drink wine rather than grape juice (which most Baptists use), eat a full meal, and recline at a table instead sitting in pews -- and there would only be 12 of us in the room.
If we were really doing as he did, we would be doing this at a Passover meal as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't find any command of Jesus in the Bible that you are required to dip bread into wine for the Lord's Supper. That is a tradition of man (does not mean it is wrong to dip, but it is not a command).

Actually, there is one verse:

"And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly." -Jn. 13:27 (KJV)

While it is not a command, this shows that according to John's tradition, there was a "sop".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't find any command of Jesus in the Bible that you are required to dip bread into wine for the Lord's Supper. That is a tradition of man (does not mean it is wrong to dip, but it is not a command).
I do not dip.... so what I am saying comes with no bias. You're right, there is no command but the tradition doesn't contradict the command. If the bread represents the body and the wine/juice the blood, then how you ingest it doesn't change the picture. He broke the bread, he held up the glass (blessed both) and consumed. If one dips, it is still bread and wine so what difference does it make? It is just a "picture" commemorating what He did for us, anyway. :)

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And speaking Aramaic.
Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha’olam borei p’ri hagafen.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, Ruler of the universe, who creates the fruit of the vine.

Baruch atah Eloheinu melekh ha’olam hamotzi lechem min ha’aretz.
Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who brings forth bread from the earth.

This is what Yeshua (Jesus) would have said over the wine and bread. Jews have been saying this "blessing" since long before he walked the Earth. And when the passages state that messiah "blessed it" this is what he would have said as that blessing. :)

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not dip.... so what I am saying comes with no bias. You're right, there is no command but the tradition doesn't contradict the command. If the bread represents the body and the wine/juice the blood, then how you ingest it doesn't change the picture. He broke the bread, he held up the glass (blessed both) and consumed. If one dips, it is still bread and wine so what difference does it make? It is just a "picture" commemorating what He did for us, anyway. :)

I agree, it is irrelevant whether or not one dips the bread, that was my point. It is far more important to remember the Savior Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2win

Dec 11, 2008
✟64,388.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
I agree, it is irrelevant whether or not one dips the bread, that was my point. It is far more important to remember the Savior Jesus Christ.
Ok, I thank each of you for your input; It seems to me that Deacon Dean comes very close to my thinking; the only sop mentioned in the Lord's supper was in the dish of bitter herbs, and the dipping pointed out who would betray Jesus; I know communion is only a tradition to a lot of folks; to me it "should be" an emotional time of worshiping our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we were really doing as he did, we would be doing this at a Passover meal as well.
I agree with Ken. While imo Paul de-coupled the weekly or monthly communion from any larger meal, it was intrinsic to the Passover Seder. As gentile Christians we are not required to observe Passover, but I believe all Christians would benefit from understanding it.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Ken. While imo Paul de-coupled the weekly or monthly communion from any larger meal, it was intrinsic to the Passover Seder. As gentile Christians we are not required to observe Passover, but I believe all Christians would benefit from understanding it.
One could argue argue that Paul's "therefore, let us keep the Feast" would suggest observing it as a non-Jew was something he saw as beneficial.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One could argue argue that Paul's "therefore, let us keep the Feast" would suggest observing it as a non-Jew was something he saw as beneficial.
I agree. But when he wrote about one being drunk while others starved, he separated the celebrations.

Upvote 0