✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Internet trolls face longer sentences

"Internet trolls could face up to two years in jail under new laws, Justice Secretary Chris Grayling has said.

He told the Mail on Sunday quadrupling the current maximum six-month term showed his determination to "take a stand against a baying cyber-mob".

Mr Grayling was speaking days after TV presenter Chloe Madeley suffered online abuse, which Mr Grayling described as "crude and degrading".

She has welcomed the proposed laws but said social media should be regulated."

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Internet trolls face longer sentences

"Internet trolls could face up to two years in jail under new laws, Justice Secretary Chris Grayling has said.

He told the Mail on Sunday quadrupling the current maximum six-month term showed his determination to "take a stand against a baying cyber-mob".

Mr Grayling was speaking days after TV presenter Chloe Madeley suffered online abuse, which Mr Grayling described as "crude and degrading".

She has welcomed the proposed laws but said social media should be regulated."

:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My (fairly obvious) first concern is who defines what a troll is. Gven my preponderance for sacred-cow tipping (which I do try to do on an equal-opportunity basis) am I a troll? Is this likely to be restricted to below-the-line in comment sections or is being unreasonably hateful and fact-twisting in the body of articles fair game for this sort of crackdown?

If so then I'm positively looking forward to the Mail's day in court (and the Guardian's too)

Then again, given that Chloe Madley's route into fame was because her parents were daytime tv presenters (from the days before cable/sattelite took off) and her credits include some of the most mind-numbing reality shows around hasn't she suffered enough without any online campaign

Reactions: Gadarene
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would like the government to remain away from this as the right to free speech is at risk. But what I am in favor of is removing the ability to speak from behind the mask of made up screen names. We should speak openly as who we are, and if we are uncomfortable doing that, then we probably don't need to be saying it. Most of the trouble makers I see, especially on Facebook, are people writing nasty things but hiding behind made up names.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I would like the government to remain away from this as the right to free speech is at risk. But what I am in favor of is removing the ability to speak from behind the mask of made up screen names. We should speak openly as who we are, and if we are uncomfortable doing that, then we probably don't need to be saying it. Most of the trouble makers I see, especially on Facebook, are people writing nasty things but hiding behind made up names.

I cannot recommend that in today’s world with the number of unhinged individuals out there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I cannot recommend that in today’s world with the number of unhinged individuals out there.
I don't mean this in a derogatory way toward you or anyone else... but shouldn't we trust in the Lord that we can speak and He will protect? You're right, there are unhinged individuals out there BUT... if I want to find out who "Aryeh Jay" is... I probably can do so. And... the one with the real power in this "world system," the government... already knows who anyone online is unless that person creeps around from cyber cafe' to cyber cafe'. :)

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The good news is that this sort of stuff is outside the US. It seems crazy from a US perspective.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I don't mean this in a derogatory way toward you or anyone else... but shouldn't we trust in the Lord that we can speak and He will protect? You're right, there are unhinged individuals out there BUT... if I want to find out who "Aryeh Jay" is... I probably can do so. And... the one with the real power in this "world system," the government... already knows who anyone online is unless that person creeps around from cyber cafe' to cyber cafe'. :)

Oh, there is enough info just on CF to find out who I am and where I live. Several pictures I have posted in the past have my GPS location imbedded in them and last year’s CF Staff holiday video card has my picture. Once I found that out I deleted a lot of posts that had pic in them but I am sure that a few are still there.

A few years ago on “Military.com” I posted under my name and someone did not like what I said. Calls to my command were made to report loud underage sex parties at my apartment involving alcohol. What they did not know was that my Division Officer and Chief Petty Officer also lived in the same complex and said that nothing of the sort happened. But it still got NCIS and the Bremerton PD involved.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, there is enough info just on CF to find out who I am and where I live. Several pictures I have posted in the past have my GPS location imbedded in them and last year’s CF Staff holiday video card has my picture. Once I found that out I deleted a lot of posts that had pic in them but I am sure that a few are still there.

A few years ago on “Military.com” I posted under my name and someone did not like what I said. Calls to my command were made to report loud underage sex parties at my apartment involving alcohol. What they did not know was that my Division Officer and Chief Petty Officer also lived in the same complex and said that nothing of the sort happened. But it still got NCIS and the Bremerton PD involved.
Those are the people I am talking about though... generally, they are the ones who would do something like that anonymously but would never even dream of doing it in person.

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The good news is that this sort of stuff is outside the US. It seems crazy from a US perspective.

Yeah, no kidding...

Especially with the overwhelming sensitivity both sides seem to have these days...I could see people tossing out that accusation left and right just to get their political rivals locked up when they made them angry on Facebook.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I remember when I first started using the internet, it was stressed that you should attempt to remain anonymous and not share personal information. At the time the main concern was in terms of the risk of predators and fraudsters.

Now we live in an environment where people openly state that others should face violence for their beliefs, and where people have tracked down the personal information of posters to attempt to have them fired from their jobs, to have their properties damaged, and to generally ruin their lives, all because of one post on the internet. And yet suddenly now people claim that only cowards would remain anonymous.

Personally I think that people who think that anonymity is cowardly should not only post their full personal information online, including address and place of employment, but also the personal information of their spouses, parents, children and so on. If you want to lecture other about being cowardly, put your money where your mouth is.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,011.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
1) Funny.
Not a SINGLE thought from anyone about the rather simple strategy:
GET off-the-bloody-line. Seriously. Why do people act like if you don't have an FB/Insta/whatever account, you are not alive.
The internet is good for commerce and reading about other, INTELLIGENT people's INFORMED opinions. It is NOT good for reading ANYONE'S opinion.

You can live in this world and not be in social media.
2) I do think cyber bullying is a problem. And threats that undermine (or threaten) someone's physical safety should be treated as if they were shared face to face. If THAT is the purpose of this law, I'm all for it. But given the lack of info (and my not reading the article), I'll just stop there.

People here seem a bit wary of it. And yet, I would wager they wouldn't necessarily have a problem with bullying policies in their children's school or work place.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
2) I do think cyber bullying is a problem. And threats that undermine (or threaten) someone's physical safety should be treated as if they were shared face to face. If THAT is the purpose of this law, I'm all for it. But given the lack of info (and my not reading the article), I'll just stop there.

People here seem a bit wary of it. And yet, I would wager they wouldn't necessarily have a problem with bullying policies in their children's school or work place.

Ironically, such laws can easily become the tools of cyberbullies. Provoke the target into attacking you online, save the evidence, and now you get to use it to get the law to move against your target.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,011.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Ironically, such laws can easily become the tools of cyberbullies. Provoke the target into attacking you online, save the evidence, and now you get to use it to get the law to move against your target.
"Provoke the target into attacking you online".
Ma'am, if you are of weak enough character that you can be provoked to the point of threatening someone's safety, it is not the fault of the person provoking you. It is your inability to turn it off.
"You can only control your own behaviour, not someone else's"....famous counselling line that is as true as the day is long.

Upvote 0