International community must 'assume responsibility' for refugees, says Pope at Palm Sunday Mass

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think your right we need to help in some way but i think we have to have regard for all parties involved. It would do them no good to bring them into our nations if it would cause civil unrest a culture imbalance animosity and future problems for the good of the catholic faith etc. I dont think that is uncharitable its just being responsible i believe all available options should be looked at

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The refugee situation in Europe looks like a huge humanitarian crisis. My instinct says of course we should help and be Good Samaritans. Ideally, they could go back to Syria one day. Is that a remote possibility?
I'm sure that's the long term hope of many or most of them. But let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The refugee situation in Europe looks like a huge humanitarian crisis. My instinct says of course we should help and be Good Samaritans. Ideally, they could go back to Syria one day. Is that a remote possibility?

It is, provided someone can clean that mess up and make it safe for our friends in need.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think your right we need to help in some way but i think we have to have regard for all parties involved. It would do them no good to bring them into our nations if it would cause civil unrest a culture imbalance animosity and future problems for the good of the catholic faith etc. I dont think that is uncharitable its just being responsible i believe all available options should be looked at
WHAT "other options "?

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
if it would cause civil unrest a culture imbalance animosity and future problems for the good of the catholic faith

Problems the world gives the Church because She follows the teachings of Christ and the guidance of the Pope are going to happen.

They can't stop us from doing the right thing. Civil unrest and animosity are a choice. People are watching their children wash up on beaches for the crime of wanting to grow older. That is really the bottom line.

Nations can take in refugees securely. Yes it is dangerous. Yes bad people may sneak through amid a hundred thousand suffering souls. We do not close the door to those in need in response.

Christianity is radically dangerous because it puts you at odds with the world and you run the risk of being stabbed by someone you have your arms open to embrace.

But what is good for the Catholic faith is to follow the teachings of Christ. And to follow the Pope when he teaches in alignment with Catholic Theology...as he has done here.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Christianity is radically dangerous because it puts you at odds with the world and you run the risk of being stabbed by someone you have your arms open to embrace.
Did you say danger? My courage to be Christian has just plummeted. :)

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

Seatbelts save lives in car accidents. We should wear seatbelts. The fact that seatbelts will not save all lives in car accidents is not a reason not to wear seatbelts, nor is it reasonable cause to avoid all travel by automobile.

If we don't inprison all of our children and keep them from eachother, some will become murderers. That isn't reason to imprison all of our children.

Absolute safety requires absolute denial of freedom.
Would you say that it was worth it if some of them do a terror attack like the one on 9/11/2001? Over 3,000 people were killed in a single day. It shocked the world, sent the world economy into a tailspin because the World Trade Center was destroyed. It cost $750 million just to clean ground zero. And it only took 19 Islamic terrorists to cause this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Would you say that it was worth it if some of them do a terror attack like the one on 9/11/2001?

It would depend on how many lives were saved, how many new lives were created that wouldn't have been, the ripple effect of our demonstration of love and its effect on Christ's Church and so on. You seem more interested in looking for reasons to ignore our Pope and Bishops than praying over their moral teachings and heeding their call.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Problems the world gives the Church because She follows the teachings of Christ and the guidance of the Pope are going to happen.

They can't stop us from doing the right thing. Civil unrest and animosity are a choice. People are watching their children wash up on beaches for the crime of wanting to grow older. That is really the bottom line.

Nations can take in refugees securely. Yes it is dangerous. Yes bad people may sneak through amid a hundred thousand suffering souls. We do not close the door to those in need in response.

Indeed. We are not called by Christ to live the most comfortable lives possible.

But what is good for the Catholic faith is to follow the teachings of Christ. And to follow the Pope when he teaches in alignment with Catholic Theology...as he has done here.

Amen, man. Amen.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It would depend on how many lives were saved, how many new lives were created that wouldn't have been, the ripple effect of our demonstration of love and its effect on Christ's Church and so on. You seem more interested in looking for reasons to ignore our Pope and Bishops than praying over their moral teachings and heeding their call.
Did the Pope say that we should let them in while paying no attention to the risk?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Did the Pope say that we should let them in while paying no attention to the risk?

No. We should pay attention to the risks and where we can, screen entrants appropriately and also monitor refugees for warning signs of terror. That would not significantly reduce the number of refugees we could take in.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No. We should pay attention to the risks and where we can, screen entrants appropriately and also monitor refugees for warning signs of terror. That would not significantly reduce the number of refugees we could take in.
How would they be able to know whether a Muslim is moderate or an Islamic extremist?

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How would they be able to know whether a Muslim is moderate or an Islamic extremist?

The evil ones have goatees.

Wait, I'm thinking of twins.

20 years ago we had realtively reliable and non-invasive methods of questioning that suggested when a person was being truthful. I assume that what I was exposed to was not the state-of-the-art and that even better systems exist today. I don't know the specifics, but I trust the NSA, CIA and FBI to be up to the task.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So is the Pope letting the refugees relocate to Vatican City?

Two families to the Vatican at the moment with the order for 300 families more to the local churches at one to two families per shrine, monastery or parish. So yes. In addition to running the largest refugee service for aid in the world.

In September the pope told the parishes shrines and monasteries of Europe to each take one family or two families where possible and suggested it for all parishes who could in the world. Many have already done so others are in the process. So are some parishes in Canada. The estimate is that It will potentially be helping 160,000 Refugee families or more. That is in addition to those already helped by the migrant and Refugee services in the Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

These are not off the grid people. They were doctors, lawyers and other professionals. All living in a modern country that has fallen to chaos. There are challenges in screening but they are not insurmountable. We have screening processes in place for refugees that will just need to have some things more of a focus.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
For example my state has taken 150,000 refugees in the last 6 years. About half from Muslim countries. My parish sends aid since living in our area is insanely expensive. So housing would be difficult. But in some counties in the state it helps the refugee and local economy. We do have some in our city (about 100 families) some with host or sponsor families with the means and they are supported by local faith groups of all kinds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For example my state has taken 150,000 refugees in the last 6 years. About half from Muslim countries. My parish sends aid since living in our area is insanely expensive. So housing would be difficult. But in some counties in the state it helps the refugee and local economy. We do have some in our city (about 100 families) some with host or sponsor families with the means and they are supported by local faith groups of all kinds.

Nobody cares. People's attention spans are captured by explosions on TV and that is enough for them to base their decision on. Their fear dictates their every move. The truth doesn't matter to most people. I guess though, nobody said the narrow door was easy.

Upvote 0