Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
It's interesting to me why people push two opposing covenants as current.

What I don't understand about the general discussion of Jer 31:31-33 is why some insist on a double verb in the English or the original text version.

The word "make" is the verb in verse 31. The word "new" is an adjective about the covenant. Verse 32 simply doesn't enforce the word "new" as a verb (course of action).

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

What I don't understand about the general discussion of Jer 31:31-33 is why some insist on a double verb in the English or the original text version.

The word "make" is the verb in verse 31. The word "new" is an adjective about the covenant. Verse 32 simply doesn't enforce the word "new" as a verb (course of action).

You can't just add the New Covenant to the Old Covenant. Here is why:

14 Then the disciples of John came to Him, saying, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but Your disciples do not fast?”

15 And Jesus said to them, “Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast. 16 No one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; for the patch pulls away from the garment, and the tear is made worse. 17 Nor do they put new wine into old wineskins, or else the wineskins break, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.”

Upvote 0

Sheep dog

Dec 18, 2017
Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

14 Then the disciples of John came to Him, saying, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but Your disciples do not fast?”

15 And Jesus said to them, “Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast. 16 No one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; for the patch pulls away from the garment, and the tear is made worse. 17 Nor do they put new wine into old wineskins, or else the wineskins break, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.”
I agree, but why is so much effort put into patching up the old garment?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The covenant seems to be in verse 34 “They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."
Reinforced by verses of the NT Luke 1:77, John 6:45, Romans 11:27, 1 Thessalonians 4:9, Hebrews 8:11-12, Hebrews 10:17, 1 John 2:20, 1 John 2:27.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I agree, but why is so much effort put into patching up the old garment?

Because of sin. We know through Hebrews 12 that without holiness, no man shall see God. At least some of us do. I'm not talking about those who do not believe morality has anything to do with salvation like some of the churches straight out of the Reformation. I'm talking about Messianics and SDA - those who advocate keeping the Ten Commandments, the Old Covenant, especially, the Sabbath - the sign of the Old Covenant.

The New Covenant has everything to do with being filled with the Holy Spirit, which makes sin a non-issue. He makes us dead to sin, and we are no longer in the flesh, but in the Spirit, IF we have the Holy Spirit and experience His power over sin.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

wine = teaching
wineskins = disciples.

You will find that the material surrounding this passage is about disciples.

New Wine and Old Wineskins

Upvote 0

Sheep dog

Dec 18, 2017
Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
The covenant seems to be in verse 34 “They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."
Reinforced by verses of the NT Luke 1:77, John 6:45, Romans 11:27, 1 Thessalonians 4:9, Hebrews 8:11-12, Hebrews 10:17, 1 John 2:20, 1 John 2:27.
Usually people try to use verse 34 to prove the old covenant is still enforce. Are you suing it this way? Or are you talking about something else?

I made sure I read your verses. Need you to talk about them so I can see where you're coming from.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Usually people try to use verse 34 to prove the old covenant is still enforce. Are you suing it this way? Or are you talking about something else?

I made sure I read your verses. Need you to talk about them so I can see where you're coming from.
In what way would it apply to the old covenant? I have given the verses to use to apply it to the new covenant where the purpose is to be spiritually led.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
In what way would it apply to the old covenant? I have given the verses to use to apply it to the new covenant where the purpose is to be spiritually led.

Yes, the New Covenant has everything to do with the SPIRIT, not the letter in our own strength.

• Agree
Reactions: Sheep dog
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sheep dog

Dec 18, 2017
Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Because of sin. We know through Hebrews 12 that without holiness, no man shall see God. At least some of us do. I'm not talking about those who do not believe morality has anything to do with salvation like some of the churches straight out of the Reformation. I'm talking about Messianics and SDA - those who advocate keeping the Ten Commandments, the Old Covenant, especially, the Sabbath - the sign of the Old Covenant.

The New Covenant has everything to do with being filled with the Holy Spirit, which makes sin a non-issue. He makes us dead to sin, and we are no longer in the flesh, but in the Spirit, IF we have the Holy Spirit and experience His power over sin.
Those churches teaching morality has nothing to do with Christianity are recoiling badly about the law. I understand this. The law is bondage as Paul says in Galatians. I like the liberty I have in Jesus he talks about. In another thread someone talks about abolishing God's moral law that precedes the old covenant and then promptly cites a verse clearly about "the law" - old covenant. They're mixing God's law with Israel's covenant. Yes that covenant is also God's law. The issue is covenant. Jesus give a new commandment in Jn 13:34. When asked about this in relation to "the law" it seems to be ignored.

I agree with your second paragraph and wonder in awe why some focus so hard on sin as the issue. The only thing I can think of is the legal bondage of the law. That is a misuse of the law IMHO.

Upvote 0

Sheep dog

Dec 18, 2017
Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Verse 34 is used to try and enforce the law denying the new covenant because everyone in the world isn't compliant with what? good behavior? I do like their goal of perfect peace. That simply isn't what the law is about. I used to attend a church that preached "kingdom now" theology. Simply can't buy into that upon reading the Bible.

I do agree with your idea about those verses applying to the new covenant. That really means to me they are limited to those in the new covenant, not applicable to every living person.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟66,922.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed:

Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

In the beginning, when Adam and the woman perceived they were naked and ashamed, God made them coverings of skin...it is the flesh/carnal that must wear out that the NEW be revealed (that always was from the beginning...)the eyesight change (perception) when they were no longer enclosed in the garden...God's glory hidden...when the flesh waxes old, wears out, then the spiritual can come (again)...The day of salvation is always today...for God is outside of linear time as man perceives.

Psalm 58 speaks to the fast...as it relates to "Hast thou eaten...." and "Where art thou?" questions asked in the garden...to take thought is to eat of it...

Adam ate the feast prepared by his helper (the woman) that brought separation from God. We are called to the wedding feast prepared by the father, entering through the door (to HIS rest) reclining at the table being served...and the new helper promises to reveal the Truth to our inner most being...

Upvote 0

Sheep dog

Dec 18, 2017
Okahoma
✟13,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

In a nutshell can you expound a little on the other thread, what is being said, and what you believe?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I've kinda argued what you're saying except I've never taken the double verb approach. I've shown the word "made" as a verb and the word "new" as an adjective through lexicons. Yes some here often try and make the word "new" the verb. This is done because both the verb and adjective are spelled the same in English. Context give definition and meaning to a word. I agree about v 32.

I've noticed no one wants to engage you on your statement.

Side tracking is the norm here.

bugkiller

Reactions: Sheep dog
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are people who are offended by salvation being all of grace through faith.
They feel they must have to contribute to there own salvation in some way.
Even if that way is just saying I have to do good things to keep salvation.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The New Covenant finally accomplishes in man what the old could not; it fulfills the law, the right way, by grace. The covenant involves God, 'apart from Whom we can do nothing', placing His law in our minds and writing it on our hearts, rather than man attempting righteousness on his own, as if that were ever possible to achieve. This begins as man, from the least to the greatest, comes to know Him, personally, directly, and so turn back to Him. This knowledge of God, Whom Jesus came to reveal, implies and involves faith, which establishes this relationship or communion with Him in response to His calling. This communion, itself, is a critical aspect of man's justice, the right order of things for us.

The NC doesn't revoke the OC by the way; it simply makes it obsolete by replacing it with a new and better covenant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0