Politics
US-Others
Some lyrics from her song:

"It's our party we can do what we want
It's our party we can say what we want
It's our party we can love who we want
We can kiss* who we want
We can sing what we want"

In the previous version, "kiss" was actually f-word.

"Red cups and sweaty bodies everywhere
Hands in the air like we don't care
'Cause we came to have so much fun now
Bet somebody here might get some now"

"We like to party
Dancing with Molly*
Doing whatever we want"

Molly is the slang name for MDMA, a hardcore drug.

"And everyone in line in the bathroom
Trying to do a line in the bathroom
We all so turned up here
Getting turned up, yeah, yeah"

Doing lines is slang for doing cocaine.

"To my home girls here with the big butt
Shaking it like we at a strip club
Remember only God can judge ya
Forget the haters 'cause somebody loves ya"

Are we really going to say that she got the idea to act the way she did from Robin Thicke's song? After she sang her song about shaking her butt like a stripper and doing cocaine in a bathroom of a house she broke into?

Like I said, I'm not a fan of Robin Thicke, I'm not a fan of hers, but I feel like there's a double standard here. His song made her do what she did, he took advantage of her, his song is erotic and provocative and therefore vile... But no mention about her behavior to him is inappropriate and that the girl who had her birthday cake shaped like a pot leaf and a rolled joint and was seen getting high in broad daylight in a public place, the girl who's 20 and admits to being sexually active, who has a couple songs of her own that encourage anonymous sex didn't need any inspiration from him and that doesn't mean her behavior towards him was invited.

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

You do realize TW that I am in NO way defending Miley, right? Again, I will repeat that the article I posted in the Op merely shows Robin's part in it all. Miley has been under everyone's judgement since she put on this vulgar show. The Pastor who wrote the article is concerned about the impression it gives boys. And no matter what else she did, she WAS definitely acting out the lyrics.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
TW, have you seen the video for that Robin Thicke song? There are two versions. One is sleazy, the other is triple sleazy - women dancing in nude thongs. From what I can see, Miley was aping those videos.

I think all these performers are horrible. They make my flesh crawl.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I've seen the videos. They're pretty standard music videos apart from the toplessness IMO. Not the rauchiest out there by far, though the nudity sets it apart. Besides with his wife came out and said she was there during filming and liked the nude version better. So whatever their dynamic is, being irate for her is meaningless... She enjoyed it.

Robin Thicke: Wife is OK with nude models in video | NewsOK.com

Yahoo!

Go to YouTube and search "Miley twerk" and you will find dozens of videos where she did this dance style... Privately, publicly, upon request for talk shows and night comedy shows, her concerts, and during the Billboard music awards. She has been dancing like this and getting lots of attention for it for at least the last year. It had nothing to do with copying Thicke or being influenced by his song or led to do it by his music.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The fact that the video is pretty standard is exactly the problem. Just because Thicke's wife "enjoyed" the video doesn't make it acceptable. IMO......it's not her opinion (or standards) that matters most.

I think what's being said about Miley's moves and the criticism that's followed that is there seems to be this separation of Thicke and Miley (it's even been said in this thread that he was "classy" enough not to "act out".....yet, it was his song.....his lyrics). That criticism/judgement is exactly portraying what the song describes (and what the premise of the article is about)----the inequity of the judgement. It's not about blame .....it's about the general inability to see the whole picture (and all the nuances). The criticism (and even the focus) is only on the person that behaved in a more dramatic way. The person that was much more subtle is able to skate by (practically undetected) under the radar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
MK, the "classy" comment was about this performance - he had the class not to act out onstage during this performance. I don't know if he acts out elsewhere - and I made the comment before knowing he cupped his fan's butt. I wonder how his wife feels about that? Anyway, in the performance, he was classier than she was. Doesn't mean he is classy as a rule.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I did go and look for the video - more shame me. Ugh. I have lost touch with what is going on in the music business over the years. I used to be such a keen follower of music, but now fall back on 70s and 80s music and classical/opera. So, whenever I do bump into modern music culture, I am frequently appalled and stunned at how badly it has deteriorated. I don't know what is worse in these videos - the objectification of the women by the men, or the women acting out the objectification with their nudity and hyper-sexual movements. If the song hadn't been written (and I don't believe it is an 'innocent' song, the lyrics are very capable of other interpretations) then the video couldn't have been made, but the women in the video would have just found another video to prance around in topless. If they were my daughters, I would find it hard to talk to them after seeing them behave in that way - although I would also not have wanted to see their "performance" either. How much worse can it get?

I don't usually like to sound like the 'voice of doom' and usually laugh at such pronouncements, but this video really depressed me today. I want to go and scrub the images from my brain. :( ETA: I also wish I hadn't seen the VMA performance. :/ Note to self: stay away from pop music culture!

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
MK, the "classy" comment was about this performance - he had the class not to act out onstage during this performance. I don't know if he acts out elsewhere - and I made the comment before knowing he cupped his fan's butt. I wonder how his wife feels about that? Anyway, in the performance, he was classier than she was. Doesn't mean he is classy as a rule.
The way I see it......he actually *was* acting it out (the song reflects an attitude of "that's just men..." and women are classified as "bad"). The irony of RT (both in the video and in the performance) being fully clothed (and in the video, it's formal wear....the outfit from the VMAs just makes me think of Beetle Juice) with the women being as nude as allowed is a whole other parallel. Until I saw the video (which, I also wish I hadn't.....since things cannot be unseen)....I didn't realize all the correlations (the outfit....the sponge finger....the tongue wagging). This wasn't Miley's artistic license coming to light.....like Hetta said.....she was clearly mimicking RT's music video (but, she's considered the vulgar one....while he sits back and acts shocked at her performance and claims--publicly-- he had no idea).

Upvote 0
H

hijklmnop

I had a long discussion with my husband past night about this thread, the performance and the Robin Thicke videos. I would describe the dynamic being acted out and promoted lyrically by both "artists" and many more like them is that men are to be like pimps and women like prostitutes. So yeah, Miley LOOKED worse on stage but she was acting out the role described in the song (as a woman) just as he was (as a man). I don't think either were more to blame though if i had to pick Id EXPECT better behaviour from the thirty six year old married father, and I certainly don't think Robin Thicke was a victim on any level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First of all, a woman wearing a tank top and shorts, is very likely wearing them to be comfortable. Secondly, even if a woman wants to dress sexually because she wants sex, still doesn't mean she wants to be raped, or that she asked for it.

Now, in the case of the song, Miley was acting out the lyrics, plain and simple. That doesn't let her off the hook, at all. She still chose to do it. However, she didn't come up with those actions out of thin air. It's what the song laid out.

As to who watches those awards? Let me just say, it's not a 21 and over only audience. There were kids in the audience. What if a child happens to be up for a music award? They would be in that audience. So I am sorry but the whole thing was wrong, and Robin doesn't get off the hook.
You do realize I was commenting to what someone else said right? The justified rape thing was me being sarcastic about how some men think women dressed a certain way means they want to be raped. Also I know who watches VMAs, I was being sarcastic again since the show is always trash. Sadly lots of kids watch it.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The whole thing is pretty sick. But then again, remember Elvis? He was accused of the same thing, gyrating up there onstage. He was clothed, but they actually edited out from the waist down when he was onstage on tv....the gyrating was inappropriate back then. So....let's spread the blame around. Media gets some of the blame too.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I agree, and the media was better then for cutting it out (by airing only from the waist up) and upholding family values. Media's values are not driven by morality anymore; they are driven by what sells, and sex sells. So their standards for what is aired has gone way downhill. Now they air things like this music and "dancing" with gals running around in bikinis and dry humping. So....it's partly media's fault.

In the same way, Elvis was just the one gyrating. Media just records it. So these two Miley and Robin - they were just "dancing", and the media just recorded it. If they hadn't danced, media would have recorded more appropriate stuff. But they did dance. Media did not have to air it.

Can you imagine - when we were young and what our grandparents thought about this rock-and-roller Elvis...must have been similar to what you and I are thinking today about this video. It's that same question: what is the next generation coming to? I honestly fear for the next generations....it seems to get more wicked with each generation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree, and the media was better then for cutting it out (by airing only from the waist up) and upholding family values. Media's values are not driven by morality anymore; they are driven by what sells, and sex sells. So their standards for what is aired has gone way downhill. Now they air things like this music and "dancing" with gals running around in bikinis and dry humping. So....it's partly media's fault.

In the same way, Elvis was just the one gyrating. Media just records it. So these two Miley and Robin - they were just "dancing", and the media just recorded it. If they hadn't danced, media would have recorded more appropriate stuff. But they did dance. Media did not have to air it.

Can you imagine - when we were young and what our grandparents thought about this rock-and-roller Elvis...must have been similar to what you and I are thinking today about this video. It's that same question: what is the next generation coming to? I honestly fear for the next generations....it seems to get more wicked with each generation.

moved to other thread :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first time I heard Robin Thick’s Blurred Lines song was on YouTube. My son got it on the computer for me and I loved the beat and the song. Remember, I pay almost no attention to the words; I can never understand most of them.

The YouTube video was the one with Robin Thick and Jimmy Fallon and the Roots band. Here is the link below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOZjaqHioro

That is such a catchy tune!

However, since this post I have looked up the words and viewed the Miley Cyrus-Robin Thick Video at the YMA show. If I let the words and video be important to me then they would just ruin a very catchy tune.

The question is “How would I talk to my son about Robin Thick”?

I have had talks about stuff like this several times in the past with my children. My point has always been that these outrageous acts that try and shock are for one reason and one reason only MONEY and FAME!!!

These manipulators do all kinds of shock stuff like Tropical Wilds outlined below:

3. The VMA's, oh, the VMA's. In all honestly, what did people expect? It's the VMA's. Britney Spears, Madonna, and Christina Aguilera kissed on stage. Nikki Minage made out with a man dressed like the Pope. One of the hosts was Tom Green's "Buttman" which was him in a spandex unitard with his butt hanging out, farting on things. Madonna and various performances for "Like a Virgin" and "Like a Prayer." Lady Gaga and her various performances, drenched in blood, hanging on a cross, and including the first one of the night where she was nude. Lil Kim had a breast out of her outfit. Intentionally. Rose McGowan showed up nude. Considering Miley Cyrus's hit song of the moment talks about breaking into a random person's house to party, do crack in the bathroom and get high on pot and she's been infamous for her twerking ability for quite some time, paired with her desire to distance herself as far from her roots as possible, I say again... What did people expect? This wasn't the Oscars

I hate fake and manipulations so I try to past that along to my children and grandchildren. It takes a bit of talent to write a good song with a catchy tune but it takes almost no talent to be outrageous or produce shock.

I understand the question on this thread as these manipulations are aimed at and work best with youth. The manipulators take sex, music, good looking people, props that simulate sexual parts of the body, simulations of sex acts, and anything else that will spike the emotions for a cheap temporary thrill. Sadly it works with many of the youth.

I try to get my children and grandchildren to see the pure manipulations and the motives behind these bizarre tactics. These manipulating tactics are directed to the emotions of the viewer and can be summed up a lot in the verse below:
1. 1 John 2:16
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

I resent someone trying to manipulate me with fantasies and bizarre tactics especially when I know that they are after money and pride. The trick is for me to get my children and grandchildren to see it that way also. Something has worked as my children and grandchildren do not abuse women or men or think that men or women are sexual objects.

My wife and I just gave our 13 year old granddaughter her birthday gift and it was the movie “Hard Days Night” starring the Beatles. It has been a very long time since I saw that movie but I do not remember any tactics that would be detrimental to my granddaughter. Get this; my granddaughter is crazy about the Beatles! I am shocked as I thought that my music would be old fogie stuff to my grandchildren. She also loves One Direction but I have yet to check them out.

If I can get my children and grandchildren to see reality and be insulted when the manipulators use their tactics to present harmful fantasies, then I will not be so upset over Miley, Robin, the people mentioned in Tropical Wilds reprint above, and all the rest that some entertainment throws at us.

So far so good.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
[

However, since this post I have looked up the words and viewed the Miley Cyrus-Robin Thick Video at the YMA show. If I let the words and video be important to me then they would just ruin a very catchy tune.

The question is “How would I talk to my son about Robin Thick”?

I have had talks about stuff like this several times in the past with my children. My point has always been that these outrageous acts that try and shock are for one reason and one reason only MONEY and FAME!!!

These manipulators do all kinds of shock stuff like Tropical Wilds outlined below:

I hate fake and manipulations so I try to past that along to my children and grandchildren. It takes a bit of talent to write a good song with a catchy tune but it takes almost no talent to be outrageous or produce shock.

I understand the question on this thread as these manipulations are aimed at and work best with youth. The manipulators take sex, music, good looking people, props that simulate sexual parts of the body, simulations of sex acts, and anything else that will spike the emotions for a cheap temporary thrill. Sadly it works with many of the youth.

I try to get my children and grandchildren to see the pure manipulations and the motives behind these bizarre tactics. These manipulating tactics are directed to the emotions of the viewer and can be summed up a lot in the verse below:
1. 1 John 2:16
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

I resent someone trying to manipulate me with fantasies and bizarre tactics especially when I know that they are after money and pride. The trick is for me to get my children and grandchildren to see it that way also. Something has worked as my children and grandchildren do not abuse women or men or think that men or women are sexual objects.

My wife and I just gave our 13 year old granddaughter her birthday gift and it was the movie “Hard Days Night” starring the Beatles. It has been a very long time since I saw that movie but I do not remember any tactics that would be detrimental to my granddaughter. Get this; my granddaughter is crazy about the Beatles! I am shocked as I thought that my music would be old fogie stuff to my grandchildren. She also loves One Direction but I have yet to check them out.

If I can get my children and grandchildren to see reality and be insulted when the manipulators use their tactics to present harmful fantasies, then I will not be so upset over Miley, Robin, the people mentioned in Tropical Wilds reprint above, and all the rest that some entertainment throws at us.

So far so good.

Be careful with that "Hard Day's Night" stuff. Remember that Ringo does get an invite to a "Champagne Buffet". Wouldn't want to encourage drinking in minors...;)

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If I can get my children and grandchildren to see reality and be insulted when the manipulators use their tactics to present harmful fantasies, then I will not be so upset over Miley, Robin, the people mentioned in Tropical Wilds reprint above, and all the rest that some entertainment throws at us.[/B]

So far so good.
Such a great point! My daughter's youth pastor (years ago) had said, "everyone is preaching something to you. Everyone has a message they are trying to get you to believe.". He demonstrated this through current music. We don't have to limit ourselves or live in a bubble.....instead, we need to learn to pick apart what's being "preached" and whether or not we want to "buy" it.

Upvote 0