Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And you are forgetting that with less and less people who can *build* the machines for the automation as well as *maintain* them, we won't be having automation either.

Hope you know how to farm and hunt--no wait, that's for generations on down the road in your world.

BTW, to you More Coffee, God has not walked away from us. *We* have walked away from Him. We need to let Him be God. His ways are the best. We do a really rotten job all by ourselves.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
BTW, to you More Coffee, God has not walked away from us. *We* have walked away from Him. We need to let Him be God. His ways are the best. We do a really rotten job all by ourselves.
The "we" you're referring to would be who exactly?

Religion is quite common and religious people tend to think of themselves as following their god (or gods). I do not agree that people have walked away from God but I do agree that people are inclined to be self serving rather than God serving or community serving. Most people see their own point of view and are very sensitive to any perceived threat to themselves or their interests but they are notorious for not being sensitive to other people's interests.

Among Catholics birth control by means of the pill and condoms - artificial means of controlling births - is quite common despite church teaching about the matter. The theology of the body and Humanae Vitae have, thus far, failed to persuade Catholics sufficiently to win their consent and obedience.

The notion that either church or state can expect rules and laws to be obeyed without question is too naïve for words.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So you walked away from God?

Whenever I sin, yes, that's exactly what I do. But then I go to Confession and tell Him how sorry I am and that with His help I intend to amend my life. And He lovingly forgives.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, you're telling me that most people sin and many repent and that God forgives them. That sounds about right, but I don't quite get how that is the cause of the nation's ills, can you explain?

Because you asked, it's not a debating point to me--Only God is going to be able to fix the mess we are in with immorality and people just caring about themselves. We, the U.S. was once an exceptional country, founded on Christian principles which allowed for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all. People came to this country to make a better life. (On both sides of my family three sets of my second great-grandparents came from Europe to this country for *exactly* those reasons--for life, for religious freedom, to pursue happiness.) And we were once a religious nation--Former President Adams said that our Constitution is wholly inadequate for people who are not religious and moral. We were once exceptional "under God" until we started to move away from Him and His teachings. We need to get back to God--not foolish and inconstant man who only cares only "what's in it for me". When we do, we will change to be decent, true, and caring. *We* will change for the better and will be better stewards of this land. *We* will be moral, raise fine up-standing families and our children will be up-standing, productive, citizens. *We* will clearly *make a difference*.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Dog Gone It, why do Catholic who more closely follow Church teachings tend to vote Republican?
You got that the wrong way around, it is "Why do Catholics who vote republican claim to follow Church teaching more closely?"

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The theology of the body and Humanae Vitae have, thus far, failed to persuade Catholics sufficiently to win their consent and obedience.

That is the thing - we must conform, not the Church find ways to conform to us to make us happy.
The problem is - ppl especially in a democratic society [i am understanding] think everything is 'their' way and they only need pick and choose what they want to believe.

But God didnt ask our permission or make a poll on what we like.
He knows humanity - and our weaknesses better than we do.
He knows the problems that come with the things we think we want.

Obedience is the height in virtue. It does lead to piety - and selflessness - which becomes God centered.

Only God is going to be able to fix the mess we are in with immorality and people just caring about themselves.

We can pray for others - that God pours His graces on everyone in sufficient supply - but the human will is free.

God doesnt have to fix our messes - He can just let it go - tares and wheat but eventually in the end - He does clean up.
He doesnt go against our free will - but He does His best to pour out His graces so we change.

Upvote 0

Needing_Grace

Chief of Sinners
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MoreCoffee said:
"We must conform" is not different from "Your will obey" which is the famous, and oft repeated, command of the Daleks. It doesn't work.

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

But I think this is more in line with what is envisioned...it even sounds right:

We are the Borg. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours.

Hmmm...I wonder what would happen if the Borg assimilated the Daleks...

Sent from my iPhone using CF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"We must conform" is not different from "Your will obey" which is the famous, and oft repeated, command of the Daleks. It doesn't work.

I AM the Lord Your God - You shall have no gods before me.

[including the ego] ;)

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I AM the Lord Your God - You shall have no gods before me.

[including the ego] ;)
But that is God's prerogative as God but I am not so confident that every letter from every bishop shares in that authority.

I am quite certain that you don't :p:p:p

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But that is God's prerogative as God but I am not so confident that every letter from every bishop shares in that authority.

I am quite certain that you don't :p:p:p
Individually - if it is heterodox - no. Arian is an example.
But when backing up Church teaching - reiterating the Tradition already laid out for 2000 years - yes.

Of course - we get some new forms of heterodoxy here and there - but overall - the Tradition has been hammered out - sufficiently for us to recognize non - Tradition.

Examples of current heresies that seem to have arisen - are gay marriage, pro choice, birth control on demand and female priests. To name a few.
I havent seen any Bishops out and out promote these things - and if they do - we simply notify the Vatican what's up.

Mainly priests have been getting close to crossing the lines in some material form - but overall - the Bishop is usually notified. That includes clown Masses being said...or other heresies outside the bounds of Tradition.

HOWEVER; unless or until the Bishops speak against the known Traditions - we certainly shouldnt be disobedient to them. And even if they speak against Tradition - it is best to use prudence and seek the Vatican in private so as not to cause scandal if we are unsure how to go forward with strange teachings.

Upvote 0

rainbojo

and yet
Aug 19, 2008
✟15,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This election is huge. We have got to think solely of the issues and what is at stake. Before Obama took office, unemployment was 7.5%. Today it is 8.2%. Gas prices were $1.85 a gallon and now $3.87. He has added 5.3 trillion to the debt. He is the only sitting president in the history of our nation who does not have a budget.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,025.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This election is huge. We have got to think solely of the issues and what is at stake. Before Obama took office, unemployment was 7.5%. Today it is 8.2%. Gas prices were $1.85 a gallon and now $3.87. He has added 5.3 trillion to the debt. He is the only sitting president in the history of our nation who does not have a budget.

In late July, 2008, average gas prices were $4.01.

Watch the Rise of Gasoline Retail Prices, 1993 – 2008

in late 2008, the economy was losing 700,000 jobs a month. Today we are creating about 175,000 jobs a month--making progress, not as quickly as everyone would like.

One reason why we aren't replacing jobs as quickly as we'd like is because tea party governors across the country are firing public employees. The private sector is hiring--the tea party governors are firing.

Even WA, in her request for prayers, noted that her husband had lost a government job--not a private sector job.

Another reason why we aren't adding jobs as quickly as we'd like is that we are bringing troops home. This is necessary. This is positive. Putting the money we pay our war time troops to other priorities, including deficit reduction, is necessary. The President has proposed bonuses for employers who hire veterans and other programs to help veterans make the transition--what are the tea partiers doing to help veterans besides blocking everything the President proposes?

Upvote 0