Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm posting this in the singles forum because I am single right now but this issue has been on my mind a lot lately. How does everyone feel about inter denominational relationships? I know I am completely opposed to inter-faith relationships. If you are both Christians you don't then you are both saved but you don't agree on doctrine and that might cause problems especially if you end up getting married having kids. However I don't think you always necessarily find someone in your own denomination.

ambelle

-- previously ampbelle --
Jul 4, 2012
Oregon
✟8,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that the itty bitty details are something that really do not need to be one hundred percent agreed upon. For instance, I think that someone who believes in pre-tribulation can get along just fine with someone who believes in post-tribulation. Those are not fundamentals of faith. And have varying opinions of that issue does not change that both are people who love Jesus and trust Him as their Savior.

Upvote 0

FearlessHeart

Apr 14, 2013
Bars of bones hold my soul
✟9,086.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that the itty bitty details are something that really do not need to be one hundred percent agreed upon. For instance, I think that someone who believes in pre-tribulation can get along just fine with someone who believes in post-tribulation. Those are not fundamentals of faith. And have varying opinions of that issue does not change that both are people who love Jesus and trust Him as their Savior.

Not quite the same at all, really. I'm baptist, and at my church there are people who hold to pretrib, mid, and post trib. That isn't really a denominational difference. I would say these are
Infant baptism, OSAS, necessity of baptism for salvation, etc

Upvote 0

KingCrimson250

IS A HOMEBOY
Apr 10, 2009
✟18,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Catholicism is the only major denomination I wouldn't be open to marrying, and that's only because they insist that if one of the parents are Catholic, that's how the kids have to be raised.

Also some denominations are a total crapshoot. Presbyterianism is an essentially useless label now, simply because of the incredibly broad theological range it covers. You could be getting the second coming of John Calvin, you could be getting the second coming of John Shelby Spong.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think that if the denomination is close, then it can work out

like I am looking for a good Catholic girl
but I would be open to a serious Eastern Orthodox or Coptic girl, maaaaaaaybe High Church Anglican (there would have to be a lot of agree to disagree in that though)

As King Crimson pointed out some denominations are so varied, that the name on the building does not really mean much.

Upvote 0

r035198x

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
✟13,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't expect people even in the same church to agree 100% on everything. In fact I think that most people will always be able to find something they don't agree with if they really study their chosen doctrine close enough.
The only fundamental things to me are things that affect salvation and that being from grace makes it very hard to find someone that I disagree with fundamental doctrines (outside of extreme cults).
Personally, I don't believe that how (or if) you baptize your infant child affects anyone's salvation so no, a person's thoughts on child baptism is not a deal breaker for me. How their bellybutton looks and how closely they can dance like Shakira however are entirely different subjects ...

Upvote 0

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have to just agree with those above, if the denominations are similar in background and theology(most Baptist and Bible), then it will not be a deal breaker.

However if we are talking Pentecostalism and High Church Presbyterianism (PCA or EPC) then I would say that's not a good match.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Going Merry

‏‏‏‏ ‏‏‏‏
Mar 14, 2012
✟16,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm posting this in the singles forum because I am single right now but this issue has been on my mind a lot lately. How does everyone feel about inter denominational relationships? I know I am completely opposed to inter-faith relationships. If you are both Christians you don't then you are both saved but you don't agree on doctrine and that might cause problems especially if you end up getting married having kids. However I don't think you always necessarily find someone in your own denomination.

You cant be with them. Dont even try.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Feb 15, 2013
San Antonio
Visit site
✟15,461.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No body agrees with their mate 100% regardless of what faith they are. To reject someone and ignore your feelings for them because of demonation differences would just be silly. A could conversation done in the right mannor could be refreshing for the rest of your life if you are both open and not ignorant and put your beliefes over everyone elses.

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To me this is alot like crossing bloodtypes. Some are technically compatible with just about any other- like Baptist and Methodist or Nondenomitional and a Presbyterian...
others the values can be very much incompatible or "unequally yolked" as my mom calls it, like Jewish and Baptist or Catholic and Baptist...
Some are kind of in between ... they mix with some but not others.
Like Jewish and pentecostal might not work out but pentecostal could go with methodist, if they were okay with the methodist being more traditional in worship and the methodist was ok with the pentecostal being expressive and vocal.
This is technicality of course.

What it comes down to is how accepting and tolerant of other's views and choices a person is. Couples that mix 2 different ends of the spectrum work out sometimes. couples that mix 2 slightly differing denominations like methodist and baptist fail sometimes because the two people nitpick over stuff like "when you say the Lord's prayer It's "forgive us our debts""... "no its forgive us our trespasses!""

Biblically, I know you are supposed to be equals in believing in God as the creator, Christ who saved us from our sins and the Holy spirit. I think men should lead their wives and their churches and wives should support them. but other then that, To me, everything else.. like whether to sing classic hymns vs. have a praise band, or whether to have people share a cup for communion vs. pass a tray of little samples... is all "toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe"

Upvote 0