CA
✟17,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I found a really interesting blog on this subject. You can see it here.

A few interesting points:

Picture-2-750736.png

And two new papers suggest that testosterone may depress IQ. One team found that salivary testosterone levels were lower for preadolescent boys with IQs above 130 and below 70. (the same two groups most likely to be virgins in adolescence)

Airicon

Jul 24, 2007
NY
✟8,034.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I saw that on Reddit earlier, it's a pretty cool study. I don't think it has to do with risks, as I've seen smart people do some pretty stupid things :) I think in general the smarter a person is the less likely they will be interested in sex, as they are probably occupying their minds with more important matters. There are probably cultural aspects also that should be considered. There's a lot of Indians and Asians at MIT, most of which are smart and most of which are in the math/sciences, and sex is not as prevalent in their nations as in ours.
So those two factors, along with generally geekiness, and you have less sex. If you ask me it's worth the trade off.

Upvote 0

Fed

Veteran
Dec 24, 2004
CA
✟17,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's a lot of Indians and Asians at MIT, most of which are smart and most of which are in the math/sciences, and sex is not as prevalent in their nations as in ours.
Haha, I think the Indians would disagree. Promiscuous sex, maybe, but not sex.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Haha, I think the Indians would disagree. Promiscuous sex, maybe, but not sex.

I'm Indian (...sort of, I was born here in the U.S.). It's true that middle and upper class Indian families tend to frown upon premarital sex far more than American families in the same socioeconomic classes. But among the poor, promiscuous sex is about as common.

Anyway, ethnic educational differences may also be in play here. There are a lot of Asian graduate students in the physics department at my school. They come from cultures with less sex, and they also happen to be much better at school than myself and the other Americans. We're all studying for PhD qualifiers right now, and I notice that whereas we Americans study in groups, they tend to study alone (meaning they're smarter). So the statistics may not point to a causal relationship.

Upvote 0

Fed

Veteran
Dec 24, 2004
CA
✟17,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anyway, ethnic educational differences may also be in play here. There are a lot of Asian graduate students in the physics department at my school. They come from cultures with less sex, and they also happen to be much better at school than myself and the other Americans. We're all studying for PhD qualifiers right now, and I notice that whereas we Americans study in groups, they tend to study alone (meaning they're smarter). So the statistics may not point to a causal relationship.
I agree. I think ethnic attitudes towards sex are a large part. But that's really just in the natural sciences. Outside those, it seems to me something else is to blame, along the lines of social skill.

Upvote 0