✟16,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Celibate
Good day.

As we all know, intelligence and understanding is good to have; that said, intelligence and wisdom is also vanity.

It is said,

"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "One catches the wise in their craftiness";" -- 1 Cornithians 3:19

And,

"And I applied my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is but a striving after wind. For in much wisdom is much vexation, and one who increases knowledge increases sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:17-18

Yea, society has, in fact, preached apostasy under the guise of "secularism", cutting, even censoring or persecuting Christianity from many (but not all) schools and public places.

The children of humanity have perverted the value of wisdom under God into a worship of man's sciences, not knowing, even alienating Elohim.

I was content, anyway, for it is said, God works all things for good, even the bad for a day of destruction.

But what really woke me up about humanity and science/technology was when the son of man said this,

one said, "I don't want to go to Heaven. I want to be a scientist."

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
"I don't want to go to Heaven. I want to be a scientist."

I wasn't aware that being a scientist and going to heaven were mutually exclusive.

Your fellow Christians may also be similarly unaware.

OB

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Totodile386

Foreigner, Vegan, Pesticide-Free
Jul 24, 2020
Canada
✟16,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Celibate
I wasn't aware that being a scientist and going to heaven were mutually exclusive.

Your fellow Christians may also be similarly unaware.

OB

It's a line of reasoning that goes, "Science says God isn't real, so let's run with that. If God isn't real, there is no afterlife, since life is only what we can measure and observe."

I dread to tell you the rest. Well, here's the rest, anyway:

"Since there is no afterlife, life is very finite in a way, and since life is finite, we must dedicate as much as possible to what truly matters. Science matters. Church is not conducive to science, therefore eliminate religion from the table to optimize efficiency."

It's a rarely-traveled heathen train of logic; an argument that God, in reality, can obliterate, but if the daevil saw it, would covet it.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
It's a line of reasoning that goes, "Science says God isn't real, so let's run with that. If God isn't real, there is no afterlife, since life is only what we can measure and observe."

I dread to tell you the rest. Well, here's the rest, anyway:

"Since there is no afterlife, life is very finite in a way, and since life is finite, we must dedicate as much as possible to what truly matters. Science matters. Church is not conducive to science, therefore eliminate religion from the table to optimize efficiency."

It's a rarely-traveled heathen train of logic; an argument that God, in reality, can obliterate, but if the daevil saw it, would covet it.
Your basic premise is incorrect. Science has no opinion on whether or not your God, or any other god, is real.

There are many Christians who happily pursue a career in science without compromising their Christian beliefs. They may even believe that the pursuit of knowledge is a Godly enterprise.

Here's an example of a well-known and well respected scientific organisation comprised of practicing Christians.

BioLogos - God's Word. God's World.

OB

Upvote 0

Totodile386

Jul 24, 2020
Canada
✟16,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Celibate
Your basic premise is incorrect. Science has no opinion on whether or not your God, or any other god, is real.

There are many Christians who happily pursue a career in science without compromising their Christian beliefs. They may even believe that the pursuit of knowledge is a Godly enterprise.

Here's an example of a well-known and well respected scientific organisation comprised of practicing Christians.

BioLogos - God's Word. God's World.

OB
And the word "angel" translates to "messenger"; a messenger doesn't have to refer to a person. A messenger can be an object, a paper, a letter, or a sign. Science can be a message; science can be brought by angels/messengers.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But what really woke me up about humanity and science/technology was when the son of man said this,

one said, "I don't want to go to Heaven. I want to be a scientist.

This comes across as an anti-science, anti-technology screed. Is that your point? I don't want to assume, so I ask. Do you see value in science and technology? Or, is it all just of the devil?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
And the word "angel" translates to "messenger"; a messenger doesn't have to refer to a person. A messenger can be an object, a paper, a letter, or a sign. Science can be a message; science can be brought by angels/messengers.

I have no idea how this relates to your mistaken view that science rejects God.

OB

Upvote 0

Totodile386

Jul 24, 2020
Canada
✟16,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Celibate
This comes across as an anti-science, anti-technology screed. Is that your point? I don't want to assume, so I ask. Do you see value in science and technology? Or, is it all just of the devil?
I believe there is value in it. In fact, The Book Of Proverbs is among my personal favorites.

However, it's the way people exalt and worship science without God, treating science like this idol to worshiped alongside ~.

From Hosea (pretty relevant to nowadays):

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." -- Hosea 6:6

People are acting unfaithfully in science, serving lusts and stomachs more than goodness (Christ); the beast over the Creator.

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People are acting unfaithfully in science

It seems you're really talking about "scientism", which is not science, but a worldview:

What is Scientism?

But as you said, good things can come from bad, like Godel's Incompleteness Theorem arising from the goal of the Logical Positivists to dispel talk of things like "God" as empty concepts! Of the discussions I've seen on its application to the question of God's existence, the below is very good:

Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem and God | Perry Marshall

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums