• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Insurgents offer to halt attacks in Iraq

Discussion in 'General Political Discussion' started by Nightson, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Nightson

Nightson Take two snuggles and call me in the morning

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060629/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

Think we should take them up on it?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. k

k reset

+770
    Messianic
    Single
    US-Green
    (Mods--please move this to GPD as it will surely be a debating thread.) :)

This is a smart political move by the Resistance because it's showing the world it is capable of negotiating and revealing an aspect of the invasion many have not seen or denied: The fact that the US NEVER plans to leave.

The Bush Admin will work overtime PR on this to discredit the offer as much as possible because permanent presence in the region has been the goal from the start.

3. Billnew

Billnew Legend

+1,129
    Christian
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    So they will stop attacking the Iraqi people until the
    troops that can protect them leave.
    What could be the motivation here?:scratch:

"We train and rebuild our ranks while the troops withdrawl. That way we'll be rested and ready to
    put in an oppressive goverment, like there should be.
    One where Sunni's(or insert other group) control everything and everyone pays to that group.

Even the enemy love timetables. So whose side are the
    Democrats on?

Peace must be fought for. Not plea bargained away.

(for those keeping score, I am not happy with Republicans but the Democrats are even worse.)

4. MethodMan

MethodMan Legend Supporter

+305
    Methodist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Another deadline - NOPE

5. dignitized

dignitized Well-Known Member

+724
  6. zoziw

zoziw a mari usque ad mare

+102
    Christian
    Married
    I question if the insurgent groups have a strong enough central leadership to actually be able to follow through with this.

Leaving Iraq now would most likely result in a civil war anyways (it might end up in one even if they stay).

7. Foolish_Fool

Foolish_Fool Wanderer

+341
    Atheist
    Single
    Eleven insurgent groups is nothing. We really have no idea how many groups or people we are fighting.

We are dealing with so many groups, many of whom have conflicting goals, that it would be impossible to have any sort of negotiations.

Which brings us to the core problem with this war, we really don't know who we're fighting.

8. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+4,693
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Anyone catch their other demands?

Uh, sure, if you stop, you know, fighting.

Civilian Iraqi's? Isn't this what the reconstruction is for?

Not comfortable with this.

No.

Are.....are they serious?

This is what we call unrealistic demands. We will set our timetable with the Iraqi government, not the insurgents. They want to stop fighting, they can.

9. k

k reset

+770
    Messianic
    Single
    US-Green
    The US created a Civil War and is now dealing w/ the consequences. The Resistance could not have not only lasted this long, but actually increased in strength were it not for the help of Iraqis.

While the US may be protecting certain groups in Iraq, those same groups are exploiting that protection to continue fighting the CW. Nobody there is innocent. (except for the children who pay the price for our mistakes/arrogance.)

10. MichaelFJF

MichaelFJF Well-Known Member

+762
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Republican
    The US created a civil war? That's funny - I had the impression that these people have been blowing each other up for a thousand years.
    This "offer" should be dealt with like all other communication from terrorists.

11. MethodMan

MethodMan Legend Supporter

+305
    Methodist
    Married
    US-Republican

[​IMG]

12. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    They aren't terrorists, they're insurgents. Unless you define terorrist as anyone who fights against the US military when it invades a country. These groups do not taget civilians.

13. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    That is what they're offering.

Reconstruction has done very little and has pretty much ground to a halt. In fact I think Bush said that there would be no more money put into reconstruction.

Agreed

And agreed. That question should be in the hands of the Iraqi government.

Yes I imagine, the Iraqi government has discussed doing the exac same thing.

14. Norseman

Norseman EAC Representative

+241
    Humanist
    Private
    US-Others
    Let's turn those blue states into a glass crater!

15. Inconel

Inconel Cold-Hearted Realist

+44
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I think the news from Iraq in the past few years says otherwise.

16. Qrusty

Qrusty Member

+17
    Christian
    Single
    They seem to be siding with our generals on the ground...who's side are you on? You don't support the troops?

17. Qrusty

Qrusty Member

+17
    Christian
    Single
    As usual...Neverstop nailed it. This is a political move to get the U.S to state its intentions.

18. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    These specific groups do not target civilians as it says in the article.

19. dignitized

dignitized Well-Known Member

+724
    [​IMG]
    MOVED

AS per the request of the OP.

Please be aware that this thread was stared in NCE and was moved to GPD on 6/30/06 at 9:32 PM EST.

20. k

k reset

+770
    Messianic
    Single
    US-Green
    A lot of people have the wrong impressions about the ME but that's why Orientalism exists at all.

Let's look at it like this...prior to the US invasion how many Iraqis were being murdered on a daily basis by other Iraqis? Even with the US occupation it fits the definition of a Civil War.

"A civil war is a war in which parties within the same culture, society or nationality fight for political power or control of an area."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_war

Also by definition, there are NO "insurgents" in Iraq because there must first exist a government.

So people who defend their Homeland are terrorists?