Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So they are suing our government for the 15 billion dollars they lost. This will go down in history as one of the largest lawsuits ever.
M-Bob

ObamaCare: Insurers Demand Billions In Bailouts

Obamacare was fake and we got fooled by Mr. Obama.

((Obamacare how embarrassing)).

And we the people pick up the bill.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
MBob. My parents work in health care and have an objective view of Obamacare (as Australians they arent bothered by your politics). The view from their perspective is it provided a service for those that had none which was a very large percentage of your fellow Americans in need. You may be somewhat harsh on that program.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Obamacare will go down in history as one of America's largest disasters.

Before Obamacare I knew plenty of people that had no insurance yet when they went to the hospital they were never turned away and were treated. Many with operations and all for free.

We should have just expanded our free clinic system which had been working fairly well for decades.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Before Obamacare I knew plenty of people that had no insurance yet when they went to the hospital they were never turned away and were treated. Many with operations and all for free.

We should have just expanded our free clinic system which had been working fairly well for decades.

M-Bob

Hi Bob, what about the estimated 40,000 people every year who died from preventable illness due to a lack of healthcare pre-Obamacare?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Bob, what about the estimated 40,000 people every year who died from preventable illness due to a lack of healthcare pre-Obamacare?

What did they not go to the hospital?

Hospitals did not turn people away that did not have insurance.

The were also county hospitals back then that gave free care to everybody in need.

Obamacare is a disaster based on lies.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Hospitals in the US are only required to stabilisise people, which is no big help for people with cancer of other chronic diseases. They still need to pay the bill for that, or go bankrupt, which for people with dependants might just be a fate worse than death.

american-health-care-problems.jpg

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

M-Bob

I admire how the OP is quite concerned about the insurance industry's financial woes when the thread was started at 5:38, but 52 minutes later is advising us to not even get insurance because hospitals give away surgeries and cancer treatment for free...

...which I also will require a citation for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

They do still charge you for the care.

The were also county hospitals back then that gave free care to everybody in need.

...and that would be why the cost of healthcare is so high.

M-Bob

You're not being particularly honest with us either.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

M-Bob

Nothing is for free. If they were unable to pay - then the cost of their treatment was passed on to those of us that actually had insurance. The growing numbers of uninsured over the past 20-30 years was one of the primary reasons for the increases in price of insurance, and as a result the growing number of uninsured (yeah, it's cyclical like that), that prompted the ACA. It's also the reason why healthcare reform has been an issue for nearly 6 decades.

Heck - Teddy Roosevelt was one of the first people to propose a national healthcare system.

Of course that then begs the question of why rates went up even more after the ACA was passed. THAT answer is due to a combination of things (like health insurance companies being compelled to provide insurance that actually covered things, the effects that subsidization has on the market, etc).

But it's bizarre to me to hear people talk about how "uninsured people were cared for beforehand" - without talking about that's impact upon the cost to those of us that were insured...and it also ignores the reality that in many cases no...uninsured people weren't cared for.

Sure - if you broke your leg and showed up at the ER - they would take care of you. But, say you had cancer and needed chemo, nah, that wasn't happening. lol

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

M-Bob

Bob, there were no free service at the hospital. Yes the law require that hospital don’t turn away sick people, so hospital would stabilize someone who came to ER and sent them home. The “free” service you are talking, that was passed down to those who have insurance, hospital never lost a dime because they provided service to those who doesn’t have insurance. This is why medical service was going up and up every year because medical service needed to pass down the loss to those who has insurance.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As for them taking "15 billion in losses" - to be honest - I take all of the stuff I hear coming from health insurance and big pharma with a huge grain of salt. Until they show their books to actually show the losses and explain them - in a market where they are being paid thousands of dollars per month in premiums to cover families...combined with the huge number of people that never even come close to meeting their deductibles...I have a healthy suspicion.

For example big pharma. They'll tell you "It costs $3 Billion to take a drug to market!"

Then you ask them to explain that.

"Well, it's a combination of the cost of the development of the drug, combined with the cost of every other drug that didn't make it to market, combined with the opportunity cost of the investors."

Of course I'll accept the cost of the specific drug in their computation. I'll even allow them to throw in the cost of other failed products (although I do that with NO other market sectors...your bad decisions are your bad decisions... but pharma is important enough that I'll allow it)..

But - opportunity cost of the investors? That's where it gets dicey. Are you only including the opportunity cost for this drug? Or are you including the opportunity cost of every other drug as well? And how exactly are you computing the opportunity cost? What alternate investment are you judging it against? Are you being conservative in your comparison and picking an alternate investment with an average rate of return - or are you picking some wildly high return alternate investment?

And...opportunity cost if fairly balanced needs to also factor in the rate of return going forward relative to other investment opportunities. If it doesn't, it's a dishonest adjustment.

There's a lot of gamesmanship that goes on with this type of stuff...and they ain't exactly the most honest people out there. lol

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist

M-Bob

There's no such thing as "free". If it was free for the person receiving treatment (a claim of which i'm highly skeptical), someone else was footing the bill.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

M-Bob
The county hospital doesn't give away free service. Tax payers typically pay for people on medical. The only medical applied to was pregnant women and maybe women on welfare , their kids and the disability. And people on Medicare. If it wasn't for Obama most poor people couldn get medical. Also county hospitals seem to cost a lot. Atleast thats what I notices when family members got their bills. From county hospital.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(a claim of which i'm highly skeptical), someone else was footing the bill.

As you should be. It's more that the hospital is required to stabilize the patient regardless of ability to pay. Then the patient is billed. If the patient can't afford to pay, in the best case scenario, the hospital works out some deal with them and passes the cost of whatever the patient didn't pay on to other patients. In the worst case scenario, the patient gets sent to collections, suffers a big hit to their credit, and the cost of the patient not paying is passed onto other patients.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Part of this thread needs to be emphasized even more:

Hospitals are only required to stabilize patients who can't pay, and they used our money (assuming we are all people paying into this system) to do it.

They stabilize them. Then again because the problem wasn't fixed. And again. And again. Again. Another time. Finally they die.

You just paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars for someone to still die (likely with a lot of pain and suffering mixed in), instead of paying less to simply fix it, even less than that by heading off the condition before it came to fruition.

This is not financially, nor morally sound.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

M-Bob

Don't be naive. Medical care was never free. The cost of unreimbursed care was shifted onto everyone else. Patients who can't pay for treatment raise the costs for all us who can. That's why the Heritage Foundation (a conservative think tank) came up years ago with the concept of mandatory insurance coverage. Which is not primarily about promoting health. It's to ensure financial responsibility. If you get sick or injured, and need costly medical treatment, you have a resource to pay for it. You won't saddle the rest of us with your bills. And if that's not the essence of conservative economic thinking, I don't know what is.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't be naive. Medical care was never free. The cost of unreimbursed care was shifted onto everyone else. Patients who can't pay for treatment raise the costs for all us who can. That's why the Heritage Foundation (a conservative think tank) came up years ago with the concept of mandatory insurance coverage. Which is not primarily about promoting health. It's to ensure financial responsibility. If you get sick or injured, and need costly medical treatment, you have a resource to pay for it. You won't saddle the rest of us with your bills. And if that's not the essence of conservative economic thinking, I don't know what is.

Yeah, except medical insurance is crap these days. High premiums and out-of-pockets. At my job, premiums and out-of-pockets amounted to 25% of my GROSS pay.

This says nothing about dental coverage. Typical plans pay out less than you pay in premiums.

• Agree
Upvote 0