bbqamazing

Dec 3, 2011
Cleveland, TN
✟7,615.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi, first time poster here. I've been listening to Tom Howard's instrumental stuff lately (The Harvest, The Hidden Passage, etc.) I also love David Nevue's solo piano work and George Winston (who isn't Christian, but is still great).

Does anyone have any other contemplative instrumental music in this vein that they enjoy? I'm thinking cello or violin would be nice, but I'd really take anything. My fiancée and I love doing homework while listening to some uplifting instrumental music.

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I listen to a lot of instrumental music. It seems to be my thing right now. Lots of cinematic scores but also a lot of independent musicians as well. Some of my favourites are Max Richter, Jim Brickman, Isaac Shepard, Yanni, Enigma, and a vast amount of more Electronic/New Age artists. Many are very good, many not so much.

If you look up New Age music on Amazon/iTunes, you'll find a vast treasure chest of music.

Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Back in the 80s and early 90s, the two main Christian music labels, Word and Sparrow, created their own "new age" type labels. Word's was called "Colours" (I think) and Sparrow's was "Meadowlark" (get it?). Most of these labels' releases are out of print now, but if you can find anything on those labels, it would probably be close to what you're looking for. Tom Howard was on Meadowlark, if I remember correctly. Also, Phil Keaggy (who made at least one album for Colours) has lots of instrumental albums, many of which are accoustic and would make good "study music".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You should check out Andy Hunter. He's makes house music. Its pretty awesome.
Andy Hunter is indeed awsome, but I don't think I would try to study or do homework while listening to his music (which is what the OP said they were looking for). Good call, though.

Upvote 0

C.d.rockhold

Sep 5, 2017
Tucson
✟15,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is actually a style of music that is primarily instrumental, it's called post rock. Some big name bands in this genre are explosions in the sky, this will destroy you, pelican, Saxon shore. I actually played in an instrumental band a while ago called Standby red 5 and currently doing a project called scale and feather Owl Calls, by Scale & Feather

This style of music tends to break from the traditional verse chorus verse chorus bridge etc. this style of music tends to be more about movements in music and has plenty of build ups and crescendos. It's definitely great for listening and especially studying when vocals can be distracting. Hope that was helpful.

Upvote 0

JRiz

Sep 12, 2017
East Midlands
✟15,407.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is actually a style of music that is primarily instrumental, it's called post rock.

I'm a big fan of post rock! Been loving it for a while. I ventured into creating something of that ilk not too long ago, be cool to hear what a post rock fan thinks of it (link)

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi, first time poster here. I've been listening to Tom Howard's instrumental stuff lately (The Harvest, The Hidden Passage, etc.) I also love David Nevue's solo piano work and George Winston (who isn't Christian, but is still great).

Does anyone have any other contemplative instrumental music in this vein that they enjoy? I'm thinking cello or violin would be nice, but I'd really take anything. My fiancée and I love doing homework while listening to some uplifting instrumental music.

My favorite instrumentalists is Tommy Emmanuel..

Upvote 0

C.d.rockhold

Sep 5, 2017
Tucson
✟15,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a big fan of post rock! Been loving it for a while. I ventured into creating something of that ilk not too long ago, be cool to hear what a post rock fan thinks of it (link)
Yeah I dig it. It kind of reminds me of Eluvium or American Dollar. Which are also some good piano driven instrumental bands.

Upvote 0