I'm marching to a different accordian
Feb 8, 2005
In my house
✟19,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey y'all! Would any of y'all be able to recommend some good jazz that has no vocals in it, or very little? I love jazz and like to listen to it when I'm doing school, but I can't have lyrics going when I am studying...I just can't focus on my school then. I really like progressive jazz...I think. I always get all those names mixed up. Not smooth jazz! That stuff is great, but it relaxes me to much. heh

TheNewAge

Non-prophet musician...
Oct 13, 2005
Oceanside, CA
✟1,530.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hey y'all! Would any of y'all be able to recommend some good jazz that has no vocals in it, or very little? I love jazz and like to listen to it when I'm doing school, but I can't have lyrics going when I am studying...I just can't focus on my school then. I really like progressive jazz...I think. I always get all those names mixed up. Not smooth jazz! That stuff is great, but it relaxes me to much. heh

Hi, friend.

You may have heard of them, but try out some Medeski, Martin, and Wood. Lately they have been touring as MMSW (Medeski, Martin, Scofield, and Wood), the jazz guitar legend, John Scofield has been touring with them to promote the album they just did together.

You might not like MMW; they are more of an acid jazz/psychedelic jazz organ trio. To the uninitiated, they sound kind of empty-- most people are used to hearing vocals and a guitar in music. They use a lot of ambient sound effects and strange segues (I know I spelled that wrong) from one song to the next when you see them live. Their music is also very rhythmically oriented.

Most people don't like jazz, and out of the few who like jazz, only a few would like MMW (because they haven;t heard them live! WOW!). Me personally, I love the funky rhythms they play and I have always loved the sound of Wurlitzer electric pianos and clavinets w/ wah-wah effects.

They have a sound similar to Booker T and the MG's "Green Onions" song mixed with motown funkyness and the psychedelica of today's jam bands (although most MMW fans would be offended if you categorize them as a jam band). I think they sound best when they team up with DJ Logik at shows-- the record scratching thing really works with the funkiness this band already has.

Upvote 0

godlessagnostic

Oct 9, 2007
USA
✟7,930.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ever heard of Miles Davis? He's probaly the most famous jazz musician, well ever. It's awesome music, but he went through different stages and you just gotta find the one you like. Just about everyone who played with him was good also from John McLaughlin to John Coltrane. Until much later there's no singing. Have you tried listening to classical while you do your school work. It's what I do, and I like classical far more than Jazz.

Upvote 0

lastelement

Jan 13, 2008
✟15,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi, friend.

You may have heard of them, but try out some Medeski, Martin, and Wood. Lately they have been touring as MMSW (Medeski, Martin, Scofield, and Wood), the jazz guitar legend, John Scofield has been touring with them to promote the album they just did together.

I was going to recommend these guys. They are my favorite band of any genre! I just picked up John Scofield - A Go Go and its a great album. Out Louder isn't as good in my opinion. Trying to find an MMW album that you like is an adventure, I recommend starting with Combustication and Its a Jungle in Here.

My friend just turned me on to Arts the Beatdoctor. Its actually 'jazz rap', but he has a couple instrumental songs.

Jimmy Smith is a great organ player, i thoroughly enjoy his music. Dave Brubeck Quartet is timeless, i could listen to Take Five for hours. Django Reinhardt is classical wooden jazz. Billy Cobham is probably the best drummer of all time, always has a good band with him. And Wes Montgomery is one of the best as well :o

Upvote 0