Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This week Australia listened to an investigative report on one of our most Elite Private schools. A catholic run school that has fronted our national headlines for all the wrong reasons.

It started with the schools promotion of a noxious culture that fostered the boys competitiveness and dominance at competitive events, but spilled into the social arena - sounds dull? Well imagine you're an elderly lady and the tram that's crowded with these private school lads, acting with extreme misogyny

Imagine your a fourteen year old girl in the midst of these boys, sexually harangued. Its worse when the school itself, fostered the culture as opposed to educating against it. Understand that many of these boys will, as adults, be the leadership of our nation in both business and public life.

BUT IT GETS WORSE:
The schools running coach was convicted of child sexual grooming of a pupil. The school headmaster, upon the coach's conviction, wrote a glowing reference of support for the paedophile, for the court which was read as part of the paedophile's sentencing process. In the interim too, the Dean of Sports at that school also wrote a glowing reference to enable the paedophile to find alternative employment.

There was no support for the boy during the gruelling period of police reporting, and subsequent court hearing processes.

Indeed when he later met with the Dean of Sport for the school, the Dean commented that the whole thing was a storm in a tea cup.

Well that storm is now a category one Cyclone.
Full report:

Whats this thread about? :
While this case is yet again another current Catholic child abuse case, showing a seemingly lack of progression on these issues, This is not about Catholicism but rather Institutional Child Sexual Abuse. This is about how institutions still respond in a manner that:
a) lacks transparency
b) Aims to protect the institution's reputation and risk of litigation
c) Fails to provide full and open support to the victims who are children, and vulnerable.

It highlights to me there is a failure in sexual abuse risk minimisation. It is a fact of life that males in positions of power over children, impose higher risks, and far more women need to be employed, or strategies in place where men cannot act in isolation with children.

My intent of this thread is to call upon those with influence to ensure you never act in the interest of your church or other organisation, over the interests of those who your organisation has failed to protect- particularly children.

Last edited:

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was a culture and institution of abuse in the US Boy Scouts organization as well. They just filed for bankruptcy over the millions of $$ of court ordered payouts to victims of that abuse.

I was in the scouts and had a gay/pedophile scoutmaster. I guess he groomed a couple of guys older than me but he left me alone. Either i was not his type or he was aware that I and my parents would have come after him with no holds barred had he tried anything with me.

• Prayers
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

pleinmont

Jan 8, 2020
North Wales
✟23,411.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
This week Australia listened to an investigative report on one of our most Elite Private schools. A catholic run school that has fronted our national headlines for all the wrong reasons.

It started with the schools promotion of a noxious culture that fostered the boys competitiveness and dominance at competitive events, but spilled into the social arena - sounds dull? Well imagine you're an elderly lady and the tram that's crowded with these private school lads, acting with extreme misogyny

Imagine your a fourteen year old girl in the midst of these boys, sexually harangued. Its worse when the school itself, fostered the culture as opposed to educating against it. Understand that many of these boys will, as adults, be the leadership of our nation in both business and public life.

BUT IT GETS WORSE:
The schools running coach was convicted of child sexual grooming of a pupil. The school headmaster, upon the coach's conviction, wrote a glowing reference of support for the paedophile, for the court which was read as part of the paedophile's sentencing process. In the interim too, the Dean of Sports at that school also wrote a glowing reference to enable the paedophile to find alternative employment.

There was no support for the boy during the gruelling period of police reporting, and subsequent court hearing processes.

Indeed when he later met with the Dean of Sport for the school, the Dean commented that the whole thing was a storm in a tea cup.

Well that storm is now a category one Cyclone.
Full report:

Whats this thread about? :
While this case is yet again another current Catholic child abuse case, showing a seemingly lack of progression on these issues, This is not about Catholicism but rather Institutional Child Sexual Abuse. This is about how institutions still respond in a manner that:
a) lacks transparency
b) Aims to protect the institution's reputation and risk of litigation
c) Fails to provide full and open support to the victims who are children, and vulnerable.

It highlights to me there is a failure in sexual abuse risk minimisation. It is a fact of life that males in positions of power over children, impose higher risks, and far more women need to be employed, or strategies in place where men cannot act in isolation with children.

My intent of this thread is to call upon those with influence to ensure you never act in the interest of your church or other organisation, over the interests of those who your organisation has failed to protect- particularly children.

It is indeed shocking that anyone sexually abuses children, and then has their employer covers it up. It is even worse if it is a member of a religious institution, which is supposed to stand for something good.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There was a culture and institution of abuse in the US Boy Scouts organization as well. They just filed for bankruptcy over the millions of $$ of court ordered payouts to victims of that abuse.

I was in the scouts and had a gay/pedophile scoutmaster. I guess he groomed a couple of guys older than me but he left me alone. Either i was not his type or he was aware that I and my parents would have come after him with no holds barred had he tried anything with me.
Just goes to show, cover up to protect your institution, and it will come back to bite you, ten fold. Transparency and support for victims, is always the best way.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

That's stomach-turning.

I was in Scouts, much more recently than you were. There were rules in place explicitly to prevent that kind of abuse, that apparently weren't there in decades past. Each of those rules and protocols provides a layer of protection. While this wouldn't have been a new rule, the ban on homosexual leaders was one of those layers. Taking that layer away apparently didn't go over well with various churches and parents that had been key supporters, an especially bad move in the wake of the Catholic priest scandals and Jerry Sandusky.

Anyway, my time in Scouting was good and productive and I didn't feel the need to watch my back like you must have.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Long

Feb 1, 2020
Melbourne
✟4,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Was he gay or a pedophile the two aren't synonymous?

Upvote 0

Lazarus Long

Feb 1, 2020
Melbourne
✟4,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's stomach-turning.

I was in Scouts, much more recently than you were. There were rules in place explicitly to prevent that kind of abuse, that apparently weren't there in decades past. Each of those rules and protocols provides a layer of protection. While this wouldn't have been a new rule, the ban on homosexual leaders was one of those layers. Taking that layer away apparently didn't go over well with various churches and parents that had been key supporters, an especially bad move in the wake of the Catholic priest scandals and Jerry Sandusky.

Anyway, my time in Scouting was good and productive and I didn't feel the need to watch my back like you must have.
Why can't some people differentiate between homosexuals and pedophiles? The words are not in any way synonyms.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why can't some people differentiate between homosexuals and pedophiles? The words are not in any way synonyms.
They are not synonyms, nor do they have to be. Homosexual pedophiles are a subset of homosexuals. By not allowing homosexuals, in combination with other rules and policies, you are reducing the chances that a homosexual pedophile will be able to groom the boys who the organization is responsible for.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Long

Feb 1, 2020
Melbourne
✟4,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They are not synonyms, nor do they have to be. Homosexual pedophiles are a subset of homosexuals. By not allowing homosexuals, in combination with other rules and policies, you are reducing the chances that a homosexual pedophile will be able to groom the boys who the organization is responsible for.
Homosexual pedophiles don't exist. Homosexuals exist and pedophiles exist, your education is sadly lacking but you are a god believer and that explains it. In religion indoctrination replaces education. Education is necessary for understanding. I hope I've helped you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It is indeed shocking that anyone sexually abuses children, and then has their employer covers it up. It is even worse if it is a member of a religious institution, which is supposed to stand for something good.
Even worse the supposedly good God lets children continue to abuse. Often (but not limited to) people who are his followers.

You would have thought he would take some if his (infinite) time and power to say to a paedophile priest “In am your god! By the way, don’t do that”.

Unless he’s too busy answering prayers for sports teams to win the next big fixture, of course.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Here's a review of the evidence: Facts About Homosexuality and Child Molestation

Child sexual offenders are often male on male. That doesn't mean that they're homosexual as we normally think of the word. When someone says they're homosexual, they normally mean that they are attracted to other adults (or for kids, other kids) of the same gender.

Suppose we prohibit homosexual scout leaders. Who do we actually prohibit? It's unlikely that a sexual offender will be deterred. Rather we are prohibiting people who are openly gay, either describing themselves that way or in an obvious relationship with another person of the same sex. But these aren't the guys who are the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Lazarus Long
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Answer my question rather than avoid it.
That was not avoiding the question. It was explaining the situation.

He was both. (if you consider adolescents to be children)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Homosexual pedophiles don't exist. Homosexuals exist and pedophiles exist, your education is sadly lacking but you are a god believer and that explains it. In religion indoctrination replaces education. Education is necessary for understanding. I hope I've helped you.
Some male pedos only like males. Other male pedos only like females. Same for female pedos both ways. Education is necessary for understanding. I hope I've helped you.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Was he gay or a pedophile the two aren't synonymous?
I understood the term gay/pedophile to mean he was both a pedophile and gay. I assumed he was engaging in same sex pedophilia. The other alternatives would be straight/pedophile or bisexual /pedophile.

Upvote 0