Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For the longest time I've wanted a copy of Francis Turrentin's Institues of Elenctic Theology but could not bring myself to fork over $100+ on the printed edition. Well, I noticed a Christmas sale of 50% off for the digital Logos Bible Software platform and they sent me a $15 coupon for any purchase so I was able to obtain a digital copy for $30, which I thought reasonable. Anyway, apparently this work had not been translated into English for a long long time, hundreds of years (1992?). From what I understand, in America at least, Charles Hodge's Systematic Theology became the standard text for Systematic Theology courses. While Hodge's Systematic does hold up well even today, just skimming over the table of contents, I think Turrentin's Systematic may be the better of the two. Here I will share the table of contents, and if you can compare with Hodge, give me your thoughts.

On second thought I will provide a link to a pdf with the table of contents, which I did not create: TABLE OF CONTENTS

Presbyterian & Reformed Publishing holds the copyright

A sample is available at the Westminster Theological Seminary online bookstore.

Just to give an idea I'll provide a short quote from contents:

SECOND TOPIC: THE HOLY SCRIPTURES

THE WORD OF GOD
Question I. Was a verbal revelation necessary? We affirm

THE NECESSITY OF SCRIPTURE
II. Was it necessary for the word of God to be committed to writing? We affirm
III. Were the sacred Scriptures written only occasionally and without the divine command? We deny against the papists

THE AUTHORITY OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURES
IV. Are the holy Scriptures truly authentic and divine? We affirm
V. Do real contradictions occur in Scripture? Or are there any inexplicable (alyta) passages which cannot be explained and made to harmonize? We deny
VI. From what source does the divine authority of the Scriptures become known to us? Does it depend upon the testimony of the church either as to itself or as to us? We deny against the papists

THE CANON
VII. Has any canonical book perished? We deny
VIII. Are the books of the Old Testament still a part of the canon of faith and rule of practice in the church of the New Testament? We affirm against the Anabaptists

THE APOCRYPHAL BOOKS
IX. Ought Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus, the two first books of the Maccabees, Baruch, the additions to Esther and Daniel to be numbered among the canonical books? We deny against the papists

THE PURITY OF THE SOURCES
X. Have the original texts of the Old and New Testaments come down to us pure and uncorrupted? We affirm against the papists

THE AUTHENTIC VERSION
XI. Are the Hebrew version of the Old Testament and the Greek of the New the only authentic versions? We affirm against the papists
XII. Is the present Hebrew text in things as well as words so authentic and inspired (theopneustos) in such a sense that all the extant versions are to be referred to it as a rule and, wherever they vary, to be corrected by it? Or may we desert the reading it supplies, if judged less appropriate, and correct it either by a comparison of ancient translators or by suitable (stochastikē) judgment and conjecture and follow another more suitable reading? We affirm the former and deny the latter

VERSIONS
XIII. Are versions necessary, and what ought to be their use and authority in the church?

THE SEPTUAGINT
XIV. Is the Septuagint version of the Old Testament authentic? We deny

THE VULGATE
XV. Is the Vulgate authentic? We deny against the papists

THE PERFECTION OF THE SCRIPTURES
XVI. Do the Scriptures so perfectly contain all things necessary to salvation that there is no need of unwritten (agraphois) traditions after it? We affirm against the papists

THE PERSPICUITY OF THE SCRIPTURES
XVII. Are the Scriptures so perspicuous in things necessary to salvation that they can be understood by believers without the external help of oral (agraphou) tradition or ecclesiastical authority? We affirm against the papists

THE READING OF THE SCRIPTURES
XVIII. Can the Scriptures be profitably read by any believer, and ought he to read them without permission? We affirm against the papists

THE SENSE OF THE SCRIPTURES
XIX. Whether the Scriptures have a fourfold sense: literal, allegorical, anagogical and tropological. We deny against the papists

THE SUPREME JUDGE OF CONTROVERSIES AND INTERPRETER OF THE SCRIPTURES
XX. Whether the Scriptures (or God speaking in them) are the supreme and infallible judge of controversies and the interpreter of the Scriptures. Or whether the church or the Roman pontiff is. We affirm the former and deny the latter against the papists

THE AUTHORITY OF THE FATHERS
XXI. Are the writings of the fathers the rule of truth in doctrines of faith and in the interpretation of the Scriptures? We deny against the papists

I really like the question and answer format and short answers in the contents. This is deep, detailed, and heavy reading though, all 2,280 pages in print. Great for reference, one need not try to read from cover to cover, since it is organized into topics. What a blessing this work first published in the years 1679-85 is!

Last edited:

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For the longest time I've wanted a copy of Francis Turrentin's Institues of Elenctic Theology but could not bring myself to fork over $100+ on the printed edition. Well, I noticed a Christmas sale of 50% off for the digital Logos Bible Software platform and they sent me a $15 coupon for any purchase so I was able to obtain a digital copy for $30, which I thought reasonable. Anyway, apparently this work had not been translated into English for a long long time, hundreds of years (1992?). From what I understand, in America at least, Charles Hodge's Systematic Theology became the standard text for Systematic Theology courses. While Hodge's Systematic does hold up well even today, just skimming over the table of contents, I think Turrentin's Systematic may be the better of the two. Here I will share the table of contents, and if you can compare with Hodge, give me your thoughts.

On second thought I will provide a link to a pdf with the table of contents, which I did not create: TABLE OF CONTENTS

Presbyterian & Reformed Publishing holds the copyright

A sample is available at the Westminster Theological Seminary online bookstore.

Just to give an idea I'll do a short quote from contents:

SECOND TOPIC: THE HOLY SCRIPTURES

THE WORD OF GOD
Question I. Was a verbal revelation necessary? We affirm

THE NECESSITY OF SCRIPTURE
II. Was it necessary for the word of God to be committed to writing? We affirm
III. Were the sacred Scriptures written only occasionally and without the divine command? We deny against the papists

THE AUTHORITY OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURES
IV. Are the holy Scriptures truly authentic and divine? We affirm
V. Do real contradictions occur in Scripture? Or are there any inexplicable (alyta) passages which cannot be explained and made to harmonize? We deny
VI. From what source does the divine authority of the Scriptures become known to us? Does it depend upon the testimony of the church either as to itself or as to us? We deny against the papists

THE CANON
VII. Has any canonical book perished? We deny
VIII. Are the books of the Old Testament still a part of the canon of faith and rule of practice in the church of the New Testament? We affirm against the Anabaptists

THE APOCRYPHAL BOOKS
IX. Ought Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus, the two first books of the Maccabees, Baruch, the additions to Esther and Daniel to be numbered among the canonical books? We deny against the papists

THE PURITY OF THE SOURCES
X. Have the original texts of the Old and New Testaments come down to us pure and uncorrupted? We affirm against the papists

THE AUTHENTIC VERSION
XI. Are the Hebrew version of the Old Testament and the Greek of the New the only authentic versions? We affirm against the papists
XII. Is the present Hebrew text in things as well as words so authentic and inspired (theopneustos) in such a sense that all the extant versions are to be referred to it as a rule and, wherever they vary, to be corrected by it? Or may we desert the reading it supplies, if judged less appropriate, and correct it either by a comparison of ancient translators or by suitable (stochastikē) judgment and conjecture and follow another more suitable reading? We affirm the former and deny the latter

VERSIONS
XIII. Are versions necessary, and what ought to be their use and authority in the church?

THE SEPTUAGINT
XIV. Is the Septuagint version of the Old Testament authentic? We deny

THE VULGATE
XV. Is the Vulgate authentic? We deny against the papists

THE PERFECTION OF THE SCRIPTURES
XVI. Do the Scriptures so perfectly contain all things necessary to salvation that there is no need of unwritten (agraphois) traditions after it? We affirm against the papists

THE PERSPICUITY OF THE SCRIPTURES
XVII. Are the Scriptures so perspicuous in things necessary to salvation that they can be understood by believers without the external help of oral (agraphou) tradition or ecclesiastical authority? We affirm against the papists

THE READING OF THE SCRIPTURES
XVIII. Can the Scriptures be profitably read by any believer, and ought he to read them without permission? We affirm against the papists

THE SENSE OF THE SCRIPTURES
XIX. Whether the Scriptures have a fourfold sense: literal, allegorical, anagogical and tropological. We deny against the papists

THE SUPREME JUDGE OF CONTROVERSIES AND INTERPRETER OF THE SCRIPTURES
XX. Whether the Scriptures (or God speaking in them) are the supreme and infallible judge of controversies and the interpreter of the Scriptures. Or whether the church or the Roman pontiff is. We affirm the former and deny the latter against the papists

THE AUTHORITY OF THE FATHERS
XXI. Are the writings of the fathers the rule of truth in doctrines of faith and in the interpretation of the Scriptures? We deny against the papists

I really like the question and answer format and short answers in the contents. This is deep, detailed, and heavy reading though, all 2,280 pages in print. Great for reference, one need not try to read from cover to cover, since it is organized into topics. What a blessing this work first published in the years 1679-85 is!

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you put a dent into it yet?

Don't I wish! ^_^ Feels like trying to put a dent into Fort Knox. I'm a slow reader, always have been, comprehension and retention, struggle with ADD. The Spirit helps to overcome, as He wills. Often though, my little "world" is full of distractions. I do hope to spend some time with Turrentin, I have read many glowing remarks of his work. :)

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Don't I wish! ^_^ Feels like trying to put a dent into Fort Knox. I'm a slow reader, always have been, comprehension and retention, struggle with ADD. The Spirit helps to overcome, as He wills. Often though, my little "world" is full of distractions. I do hope to spend some time with Turrentin, I have read many glowing remarks of his work. :)
Have you read the work of Hodge. as he was the replacement for the theology of Turrentin, and is called "Turrentin lite"

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you read the work of Hodge. as he was the replacement for the theology of Turrentin, and is called "Turrentin lite"

I have read some of Hodge's systematic work, and it is different. I do not know how or why it would be called "Turrentin lite". Could you maybe explain? Hodge starts out with method, goes on to definitions and types of theology, and overall his work seems to be as philosophical as it is theological, but it came from a different period of time with different forms of criticism or objections or differences to address.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have read some of Hodge's systematic work, and it is different. I do not know how or why it would be called "Turrentin lite". Could you maybe explain? Hodge starts out with method, goes on to definitions and types of theology, and overall his work seems to be as philosophical as it is theological, but it came from a different period of time with different forms of criticism or objections or differences to address.
Hodge was the theology Professor after Turrentin, and He learned his theology from the theology of Turrentin, and many see His theology as watering down Turrentin in order to be more accesible to his students!

• Useful
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I was about to buy Wayne Grudem's systematic theology... I heard it was one of the better ones. Have you read that? If so how do you think it compares?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was about to buy Wayne Grudem's systematic theology... I heard it was one of the better ones. Have you read that? If so how do you think it compares?

I think Dr. Grudem's systematic text would be easier to read/teach from, it's written in a manner to be easier to understand for the average layman. It's designed for study and includes questions, bibliographies, and a hymn at the end of each chapter. In general, I find it's useful to have access to numerous different resources of the same type. If I am looking for information about a topic, it's always nice to have numerous sources of information, and examine them together, since I tend to glean different things from different sources, and different sources tend to have even if ever so slight different emphasis. I take the same approach to Bible commentaries. :)

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He is very good, but be careful in the 2 areas of the Holy Spirit and Nature of trinity, as he holds to charismatic gifts for today, and to the eternal subordination of the Son .
I would suggest Dr Erickson Christian Theology, as he does do a nice job giving forth differing positions on major doctrines.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think Dr. Grudem's systematic text would be easier to read/teach from, it's written in a manner to be easier to understand for the average layman. It's designed for study and includes questions, bibliographies, and a hymn at the end of each chapter. In general, I find it's useful to have access to numerous different resources of the same type. If I am looking for information about a topic, it's always nice to have numerous sources of information, and examine them together, since I tend to glean different things from different sources, and different sources tend to have even if ever so slight different emphasis. I take the same approach to Bible commentaries. :)
Very good, but see the 2 areas have misgivings on, and would also suggest the Dr Erickson Christian theology as another good one.

Upvote 0