FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is an old Indian fable which tells of a mouse who was in constant distress because of its fear of cats.

So a magician took pity on it and turned it into a cat so it would have no more fear.

Now, as a cat, it was in fear of dogs.

So the magician turned it into a dog.

Now, as a dog, it was stressed out in fear of tigers.

Then the magician turned the dog into a tiger.

Now, as a tiger, it was shaking in fear of hunters.

The magician finally said to the tiger, "Be a mouse again. You only have the heart of a mouse, and I cannot help you."

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Goose Story

Next
fall, when
you see geese
heading South for
the winter, flying along
in V formation, you might
consider what science has dis‐*
covered as to why they fly that way:
as each bird flaps its wings, it creates an
uplift for the bird immediately following. By
flying in V formation the whole flock adds at least
71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.

The Rest Of The Story

http://socialwork.buffalo.edu/conten...tory-noyes.pdf

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Shake it off and take a step up

One day a farmer's donkey fell into an abandoned well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do. Finally, he decided the animal was old and the well needed to be covered up anyway; so it just wasn't worth it to him to try to retrieve the donkey.

He invited all his neighbours to come over and help him. They each grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. Realising what was happening, the donkey at first cried and wailed horribly. Then, a few shovelfuls later, he quieted down completely.

The farmer peered down into the well, and was astounded by what he saw. With every shovelful of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing some thing amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up on the new layer of dirt. As the farmer's neighbours continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up.

Pretty soon, the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and trotted off, to the shock and astonishment of all the neighbours. Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to not let it bury you, but to shake it off and take a step up. Each of our troubles is a stepping stone.

We can get out of the deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up!

Finally, the donkey gave the farmer who tried to bury him a good kicking. Which brings me to another moral for this story - When you try to cover your ass, it always comes back and gets you.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I had far more do have's than don't have's​

The early morning sun seemed to put my state of mind at ease. I could hear a plethora of birds feeding, singing and maximising all the day had to offer. It was amazing the influence simple things such as the early morning sun and the singing of the birds had in helping me reassess my situation. I couldn't help but feel that once again the universe had taken me within its palm and gently guided me to a new level of understanding and appreciation of life.

Although Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is usually not fatal, I felt that surrendering my mind and ability to decide my actions were as good as dying. I was alive and for all the disabilities MS would challenge me with, while I had the strength to breathe, think, love and choose, I would focus from this day forward on what I have instead of what I didn't have.

It was time to put my power to choose into action. I could choose to accept that I had MS and that MS didn't have me! This was a significant day for me. After spending weeks in Royal Prince Alfred Hospital unable to walk, blurred vision, unable to wash or dress myself and generally feeling sorry for myself, I found my inner being slowly beginning to fight back.

Although the future did not appear tremendous, I was now able to acknowledge that I did have choices. I could choose to give in to this crippling disease and let it take control of my life, or I could choose to focus on what I had and what I could do. It wasn't the time to say it's too hard. It was time to put all my years as a mentor, leader and competitor into action.

I asked my brother Andrew to bring me in a pen and note pad on his next visit. When he arrived the next day I asked him if he would draw a line down the centre of the page (I was unable to write at the time as my right hand was paralysed due to the relapse).

I then asked him to write the heading ' DO HAVE 'above the left column and ' DON'T HAVE 'above the right column. It was time to take an inventory on my life and maximise what I had.

'I DO HAVE'​

• Loving caring family
  • Loyal friends
  • A resilient nature
  • Intelligence
  • Charisma
  • Character
  • Control
  • A wonderful country
  • Medical support
  • Hope
  • Opportunities