• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ink Master series

Discussion in 'General Hobbies and Interests' started by faroukfarouk, Feb 14, 2018.

1. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    On the other thread @1stcenturylady mentioned the Ink Master series; so has anyone seen it?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. 1stcenturylady

1stcenturylady Spirit-filled follower of Christ Supporter

+3,527
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    It is on the old Spike station, now called Paramount, on Tues night. I'm an artist and love anything to do with art. But, beware, it has rough language. No love. It is a lesson on how NOT to treat your brother! LOL

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Thanks for the info; the Paramount as well as the Spike is probably on Youtube as well.

(You're right; sometimes it's best to watch such series with the sound down...)

Seems like you do love to see the inking, as it goes in and takes shape, anyway.

4. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    PS: So do you like to look at portfolios? usually parlors let ppl just walk in with absolutely no obligation.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen from her willingness to have it done.

5. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    1stcenturylady:

Some of the ppl on Ink Master seem very confident.

But I think there is a special grace to being able to get tattooed confidently without reacting with unnecessary language, right?

6. 1stcenturylady

+3,527
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    There is a lot of arrogance and putting down of other people's artwork, which is the basis for all the bad language. One season an artist came to blows with one of the judges, and left the show. I blamed the judge on that one. He obviously let that volcano erupt.

7. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes.

In the amazingly varied artwork, there is a lot of pent up determination and aspiration in both receiving a tattoo and in its creating. Often the exhilaration of inking is thought of in relation to the person being tattooed, but it can also apply to the person doing the injecting artwork.

Depending on ppl's reactions, there can sometimes be a thin dividing line between the exhilaration of giving/receiving ink and extreme frustration when the inking and injecting efforts are not appreciated.

I wonder how long the present Ink Master series will last, and how long it will take to do another series?

8. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    @1stcenturylady PS: I do wonder if the producers of Ink Master actually treat the series as the organizers of wrestling matches do: i.e., it is a much for the entertainment spectacle of the arguments as much for the competitive aspect.

In some ways this seems a pity.

Some other ink shows, such as NY Ink, London Ink, Miami Ink and LA Ink (which you might have seen?) don't tend to magnify the arguing so much, but concentrate more on the actual artwork.

9. 1stcenturylady

+3,527
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I guess that's up to Paramount now, but with everybody and their dog getting ink, I think there would be a ruckus. It's been on every year, and I've seen every episode numerous times. ;)

10. 1stcenturylady

+3,527
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    They may be encouraged, but the tears are real.

I've only seen a couple episodes of Miami Ink. In one, they created a design to camouflage a huge birthmark on this guys calf. I'm sure it did wonders to his self-esteem.

11. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Oh I know a huge amount of passion can go into it. I don't doubt its authenticity. (I do wonder if the producers and marketers of the series are a bit detached, though.)

Yes, cover ups can perform a necessary and even vital service, for some ppl. Including for ppl with tattoo regrets. E.g., a Christian woman with the name of a non-Christian ex-bf tattooed might well opt for another design to be superimposed, such as 'Bible' in order to obscure 'Bill', or whatever.

12. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    You obviously appreciate seeing the artwork taking shape, anyway.

You're probably like me, in that if you had been a tattoo artist (again, like me, you probably wouldn't now seriously consider taking it up as a side-line at your stage) you would probably and strongly prefer to concentrate on intricate efforts to produce quality artwork with really careful ink injecting.

Rather than get into the 'entertainment' side of arguments for public consumption.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  13. 1stcenturylady

+3,527
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I know the people getting the tattoos on the show go in expecting very experienced people doing them; otherwise the artists wouldn't qualify to even be on the show. But, can you imagine agreeing to be on an episode where the artist can put anything they want on you to wear a lifetime! Yikes!

Another show I watch is America's Top Model (probably not your cup of tea LOL), and this year some of the girls have tattoos. A first.

14. 1stcenturylady

+3,527
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I've never been in a tattoo parlor. I just like to watch the show. Although, I did go to a car show once where half of it was set up for a tattoo contest. So I did see people looking through portfolios and getting inked.

15. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well then you highly likely would enjoy visiting a parlor, anyway, to look at the portfolio artwork.

(There's probably one near you.)

16. 1stcenturylady

+3,527
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    Not likely. At least, Ink Master throws out the riff-raff and only shows excellence.

17. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I'm not surprised. Although it used to be a man thing, in North America now more women than men get them. It's what young women do. I saw a quote about just how prevalent it is in the Bible Belt.

18. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    PS: Here's the quote I referred to from the Bible Belt, FYI:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Mind you, I can see that in your case you wouldn't want to see just any faith based tattoos; I can see that you yourself really like to see designs tattooed that are of real artistic quality.

19. 1stcenturylady

+3,527
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    The only tattoos I have are permanent eye brows. So it is cosmetic. Do you have any?

20. faroukfarouk

+15,051
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Oh I was referring to ink designs in portfolios that you might be interested to see rather than obtain. Although I guess there's not a fundamental difference between a woman getting strong and thin eyebrow arches tattooed because it looks nice, and on the other hand getting a quality design tattooed on a wrist, etc., again because it looks nice. Although an arm design that I received soon faded and wasn't a success, I can understand how Christians young and older might want to use a Bible verse or ref., Christian fish <>< sign on a wrist or wherever, because they are proven conversation-starters.

(Which in witness opportunities presumably is the whole idea.)