Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Man, evos is an ugly world. Anyhow:

Imagine that there is a sequence of DNA in a particular animal that makes the eyes of that animal blue.

Let us call it, 'atcgatatcg' - it does not matter.

Suppose that due to random mutation and natural selection, this species of animal lost this sequence.

Has information been lost?

Why or why not?

Suppose that a few hundred dozen generations later, random mutations bring this sequence back into existence in the right place for one member of that species. Its eyes are blue - the only member of its species to have blue eyes at that point in time.

Has information been gained?

Why or why not?

MarkT

Veteran
Mar 23, 2004
✟2,404.00
Faith
Has information been lost?

Why or why not?

No. I'm just guessing but I figure heredity maintains the protein sequence so that information isn't lost. A mutation might inhibit an enzyme or a hormone which might be important to the development of the body. You might get stunted growth for instance. But information isn't lost.

Has information been gained?

Why or why not?

I don't think information is ever gained. You can breed a trait like blue eyes but I wouldn't call it gained information.

Upvote 0

Apos

Dec 27, 2005
✟411.00
Faith
Atheist
It's worth noting that in genetics, a mutation can turn a certain gene's exrpession on or off. So you can even make the genome stop expressing the trait... even though the actual genetic information for the trait is still all there. The reverse, of course, can also happen. So is the information "lost," or not? :)

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

MarkT said:
No. I'm just guessing but I figure heredity maintains the protein sequence so that information isn't lost. A mutation might inhibit an enzyme or a hormone which might be important to the development of the body. You might get stunted growth for instance. But information isn't lost.
but he said that particular sequence does get lost. you can't just turn round and change his argument.
I don't think information is ever gained. You can breed a trait like blue eyes but I wouldn't call it gained information.

but previously, the gene for blue eyes was not there, and now it is. why is a new gene coding for blueness in eyes not information?

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
MarkT said:

No, in this instance the protein sequence is gone. It has been bred out of the species.

If the trait was, for example, night vision, would information have been lost or gained?

Why or why not?

If so, what makes that different from the colour blue in eyes.

If not, can you give me an example of something that you would consider to be a loss or a gain of information.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums