Indiana Supreme Court lets Gay Adoption Stand

keltic63

Jul 12, 2006
✟8,037.00
Faith
Christian
Indiana Supreme Court Allows Pro-Gay Adoption Ruling to Stand http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4095592.html INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana's Supreme Court let stand a ruling that allows unmarried couples, including those of the same sex, to adopt children through a joint petition that gives both partners equal custody. In a 4-1 decision posted Friday, the high court refused to hear arguments in the case. That left in tact the April ruling by the Indiana Court of Appeals, which had overturned a lower court's ruling that state law limits adoption to married couples and individuals.

Pinp

May 10, 2006
✟1,224.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Bored tonight?Sorry I couldn't resist.I do find it curious that a state would attempt to block two unmarried people from adopting but would allow a single person to. I suppose it could theoretically cut down on the number of nasty custody battles. As the sole parent a single person wouldn't need to go to court for any reason. On the otherhand there are already plenty of nasty custody battles to go around with divorcing couples. All-in-all I think it is a fair decision by the courts. Obviously the parents in question are prepared to live together and raise their children. It is only a technicality of the law that prevents them from being married.*shrugs*

Upvote 0