Inclusions in meteorite older than Solar System (≈7.5 billion years old)

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The mighty Murchison strikes again!!

What a super rare dump from the heavens .. bestowethed upon ze land down under, eh?
I'm approximately 120 km from the site.

The news is a reminder of my own frustrations in identifying a sample which could be a carbonaceous chondrite.
Washington Uni become interested and nominated a lab in Western Australia that would perform a blind test free of charge.
The results would have then been sent to Washington Uni for analysis.
Unfortunately the lab was shutdown due to the downturn in the mining industry at the time.
Attempts to get the sample blind tested without analysis has been cost prohibitive and even attempts to have it tested at a reasonable cost at my old Uni was not possible.
It shows that Universities are prepared to put profits before alumni loyalties.:)

Incidentally the sample fragment I have contains a mysterious inclusion.
Inclusion.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MissRowy
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
How can there be stardust from 7,5b year ago on earth if the earth is only 6000 years old or so
Exactly. One of those numbers has to be wrong.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
How can there be stardust from 7,5b year ago on earth if the earth is only 6000 years old or so
The same way there can be 7.5bn year old stardust on a 4.5bn year old earth. Age of the earth makes no difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,108.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Its only 6000 years old in peoples minds. Its called badly interpreting scripture.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,324.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Why not? Unless you qualify why you consider the earth to be only 6000 years old (which was not done), there is no fundamental difference.
Yeah .. the credibility of unsupported notions here is up against the solid, contextualised objective evidence (isotopic composition) presented in the OP link.
The equivalence concept should always be scruntinised skeptically.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Might the absence of blackness of the inclusion be due to it being protected from the heat? (Its centrality in the sample might suggest this?)
I don't know.
What seemed to have piqued Washington Uni interest for investigation was not only the sample being fluorescent under UV but the image as well.

On the subject of testing a geologist on a forum came up with an interesting idea to get it tested at a pawn shop.
Many pawn shops now apparently use hand held X-ray fluorescent spectrometers to test the authenticity of items.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,324.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know.
What seemed to have piqued Washington Uni interest for investigation was not only the sample being fluorescent under UV but the image as well.

On the subject of testing a geologist on a forum came up with an interesting idea to get it tested at a pawn shop.
Many pawn shops now apparently use hand held X-ray fluorescent spectrometers to test the authenticity of items.
Well like .. I suppose a pawn shop test would qualify as an *in the lab* test? :p

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well like .. I suppose a pawn shop test would qualify as an *in the lab* test? :p
I have a bit of experience with using X-ray fluorescent spectrometers where I used to work. Unfortunately they went out of business as well.
After the lab Washington Uni recommended went out of business I suggested to them if X-ray spectroscopy was feasible instead of the destructive mass spectrometry which they use for identification.
They had no problems with the idea.
Whether these hand held spectrometers are up to standard I don't know.

As a "human interest story" I had a baby tooth of mine analysed using X-ray fluorescent spectroscopy and apart from detecting the usual suspects such a calcium it also found radioactive thorium.
Apparently we can thank our British friends for exploding their hydrogen bombs in our backyard in the 1950s.:(

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0