Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings everyone :), I'm posting a brief introduction about myself from my "about me" section.

"
Since birth I have almost always been a seeker of knowledge, wanting to know how to chew solid food, stand on two legs, understand and recite spoken language, write, play video-games, etc. But I did not became an intellectual until it was in a way too late; my developing brain had matured. The maturing and flowering of my consciousness from adolescence to adulthood brought forth corrupt instead of good fruit - schizophrenia / Bi-Polar disorder. Now, more than ever before, what I earnestly believed to be true was delusion.

Many who have had woe befallen them, especially when as a result something or many things valuable and precious to them being taken away, curse God in return. I said, if I had but one life to live, I wanted to have a (very) strong intellect. I still strove, but little did I know that I had a neuro-degenerative form of the disease. My dreams were utterly crushed.

So I too cursed the sky. Such a major life juncture was truly in God's foreknowledge of my life. Why did an All-Loving God allow to happen to me precisely what would make me hate Him and turn away? I had an ultimatum in my mind: Give me back my mental health and intellectual powers, or I will totally reject the "gift" of life you gave me, and if I go to Hell it will be Your fault - a mistake by a "perfect" God - for not doing a tiny favor that would lead me back to you for certain.

Thankfully, my temper tantrum ended, and I've since seen the error of such thinking. One possible spiritual reason as though through a glass darkly is that my intellect was a particularly demanding idol, wanting constant worship from me. Most likely I couldn't have released myself from its grasp without learning by God's way. Now, I will see what life has in store for me. I will fight until the end.
"

So, long story short, I've been through a lot of hell in my life, probably with plenty more to come. Nevertheless, I've overcome so much to have gone from loving God conditionally, hating Him, then loving Him again unconditionally (well, probably, but I doubt I'll ever go back to hating Him :) ). Still, I have a couple of questions for anyone interested :).

I believe since I have a neuro-degenerative illness, then I will never be able to improve my memory or my intelligence and both may only get worse with time. I am by far most interested in a spiritual journey with God, but I believe that the journey will be richer if it is possible to sharpen my intellect. Does intellect increase with spiritual development? Will the depths of wisdom forever be off-limits to me because of cognitive impairment? I believe now I can desire to sharpen my mind without being obsessed with it, because I've experienced rock bottom for many months with a sense of dullness, slowness, and cognitive sludge, and I've grown to accepting it with little remaining angst now.

However, this leads to the second question. As per my mental illness and consequent disability, I am approved for receiving social security. Basically, I am in a position to sit on my butt and do nothing meaningful for the rest of my life. Yes, I can and do read scripture and can tank up on the Word of God, but faith without works is dead faith, right? You reap what you sew, right? What if I spend the rest of my life collecting a check from social security and doing nothing? I don't want to lead that kind of life, but I feel that I am forced by the symptoms of my mental illness out of accomplishing anything really. Still, I wouldn't be sewing anything, so I would reap nothing, right? These verses comes to mind:

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009). (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version., Mt 7:21–23). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

I'm sure God has more of a plan for my life than collecting a check from the government and basically living in solitude. Yes, I have heard of christian monasticism, which is parallels my life right now with the exception of poverty. Whenever paranoia, delusions, high anxiety, or symptoms of a panic attack loom, I feel that I am not ready to come out of my comfort zone into something more in life. I feel so burdened by positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder that sometimes I'm completely incapacitated. Its a monumental effort coping with mental illness in itself, and maybe that suffering counts for something, but I feel a still, small calling to do more of something - anything - involving serving/helping other people somehow instead of just helping myself. It's easy for me to blame mental illness for living a life of solitude instead of servitude, but could I instead be the one to blame for not trying harder?

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Sarah G

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Welcome to the forums and may God bless you very much. Mental illness is a complicated subject and I am no expert. All I can say is that even if you live in solitude, you can still find ways to be useful and help others. Posting in Christian Forums is a good way to start. You can encourage others who need comfort and you might well find some encouragement that helps you as well. Eventually, if might be possible for you to do some volunteer work in the community, but take it one day at a time for now.

Upvote 0

Fumbling_Foo

in search of True Knowledge and how to REMEMBER IT
Dec 12, 2017
Mississippi, USA
✟8,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Welcome to the forums and may God bless you very much. Mental illness is a complicated subject and I am no expert. All I can say is that even if you live in solitude, you can still find ways to be useful and help others. Posting in Christian Forums is a good way to start. You can encourage others who need comfort and you might well find some encouragement that helps you as well. Eventually, if might be possible for you to do some volunteer work in the community, but take it one day at a time for now.

That sounds like a good plan :). If I continue the fight as I am doing now then perhaps things will improve with my mental illness. Lately my symptoms have been worse. The medication isn't working as well as it used to (I've tried many, this is my "wonder" medication too :/ ), but there's more out there to try.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
faith without works is dead faith, right?
It is written.

You reap what you sow, right?
It is written.
What if I spend the rest of my life collecting a check from social security and doing nothing?
It is written you will reap the same as you sow.
Still, I wouldn't be sowing anything, so I would reap nothing, right?
It is written.

It's easy for me to blame mental illness for living a life of solitude instead of servitude, but could I instead be the one to blame for not trying harder?
Not "trying harder" but trusting Yahweh and relying on Him as you know as it is written Seek and keep seeking, and you will find (what Yahweh has planned for you; what TO DO) .... Ask and keep asking, and Yahweh will answer you,
knock and keep knocking, and Yahweh will open the door (His Way) for you, perfectly.

• Informative
Reactions: Fumbling_Foo
Upvote 0

Fumbling_Foo

Dec 12, 2017
Mississippi, USA
✟8,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No.
and no.

Okay, so I can cast away any lingering attachment to intellect as that will not interfere with my spiritual journey, and I need not worry about intellectual powers when it comes to obtaining wisdom :).

It is written.

It is written.

It is written you will reap the same as you sow.

It is written.

Not "trying harder" but trusting Yahweh and relying on Him as you know as it is written Seek and keep seeking, and you will find (what Yahweh has planned for you; what TO DO) .... Ask and keep asking, and Yahweh will answer you,
knock and keep knocking, and Yahweh will open the door (His Way) for you, perfectly.

That hit me like a ton of bricks, lit a fire in my belly, and almost made me excrete a ton of bricks :eek:. Looks like my instincts were right (scripture derived, and I'm quite rusty on the scripture). Trusting Yahweh instead of trying harder put me at ease for a bit, but when it comes to asking and knocking I thought am I really asking and knocking like I should. I'm certainly not when I spend my time idly in a fantasy world playing videogames (my biggest time waster). Looks like I'm getting some direction now, thanks for all the guidance yeshuaslavejeff :D!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Okay, so I can cast away any lingering attachment to intellect as that will not interfere with my spiritual journey, and I need not worry about my intellect when it comes to obtaining wisdom
The same as it is written,
re messengers of Yahweh, Paul, Peter, John, etc etc all the Apostles and disciples.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
That hit me like a ton of bricks, lit a fire in my belly, and almost made me excrete a ton of bricks :eek:. Looks like my instincts were right (scripture derived, and I'm quite rusty on the scripture). Trusting Yahweh instead of trying harder put me at ease for a bit, but when it comes to asking and knocking I thought am I really asking and knocking like I should. I'm certainly not when I spend my time idly in a fantasy world playing videogames (my biggest time waster). Looks like I'm getting some direction now, thanks for all the guidance yeshuaslavejeff :D!
All Praise is due to Yahweh our Heavenly Father thru Jesus Messiah our Savior , our Healer, our Comforter, our REDEEMER ! WHO saves us from our sins and from the world.

It will be a challenging, often painful road to LIFE IN HIM - while on this earth,
but
be of GOOD CHEER - HE HAS OVERCOME THE WORLD,
and
HE Guides us every day, every moment watching over us and leading us as GOOD SHEPHERD -
NEVER, no never, not once, leaving us nor forsaking us ---
Hebrews 13:5Amplified Bible (AMP)
5 Let your character [your moral essence, your inner nature] be free from the love of money [shun greed—be financially ethical], being content with what you have; for He has said,
I will never [under any circumstances] desert you

[nor give you up nor leave you without support,

nor will I in any degree leave you helpless],

nor will I forsake or let you down or relax My hold on you [assuredly not]!”

Amplified Bible (AMP)
Copyright © 2015 by The Lockman Foundation, La Habra, CA 90631. All rights reserved.

Hebrews 13:5 in all English translations

• Informative
Reactions: Fumbling_Foo
Upvote 0

Fumbling_Foo

Dec 12, 2017
Mississippi, USA
✟8,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
All Praise is due to Yahweh our Heavenly Father thru Jesus Messiah our Savior , our Healer, our Comforter, our REDEEMER ! WHO saves us from our sins and from the world.

It will be a challenging, often painful road to LIFE IN HIM - while on this earth,
but
be of GOOD CHEER - HE HAS OVERCOME THE WORLD,
and
HE Guides us every day, every moment watching over us and leading us as GOOD SHEPHERD -
NEVER, no never, not once, leaving us nor forsaking us ---
Hebrews 13:5Amplified Bible (AMP)
5 Let your character [your moral essence, your inner nature] be free from the love of money [shun greed—be financially ethical], being content with what you have; for He has said,
I will never [under any circumstances] desert you

[nor give you up nor leave you without support,

nor will I in any degree leave you helpless],

nor will I forsake or let you down or relax My hold on you [assuredly not]!”

Amplified Bible (AMP)
Copyright © 2015 by The Lockman Foundation, La Habra, CA 90631. All rights reserved.

Hebrews 13:5 in all English translations

Excellent, thanks :)! Whenever I feel the pulling of helplessness from mental illness, there's always Yahweh's promises :). I need to rekindle again my devotion to scripture, but I know there were times in my life where the above was true even when I wasn't aware of the scriptures.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshcorn

Oct 27, 2017
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
✟14,533.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do a study in the bible in every place you see heart. You will see in a nutshell that we think in are heart. Science today is proving the bible right once again. There are two types of knowledge,early and that is a thumbs down according to God. The second is heavenly knowledge,that comes from God by the spirit. Ponder this in your heart.

Upvote 0

Fumbling_Foo

Dec 12, 2017
Mississippi, USA
✟8,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks also to yall for your support :).

I was currently focusing in Jesus and re-reading the Gospel of Matthew, but I've been feeling a need to go back to the Old Testament to discover Jesus' roots and more of God's knowledge, so I started a reading plan today to read the Lexham English Bible in 6 months :D! I still have Rick Warren's "The Purpose Driven Life" to cover as well, though, but its tough because I'm practicing mnemonics with that book.

Upvote 0