USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think your count is debatable since President Obama actually was a member of the United Church of Christ and President-elect Trump really likes One Corinthians.

I had the pleasure of hearing then-Senator Obama speak about his faith at the General Synod of The United Church of Christ. Since then I have found all the aspersions directed toward him about his faith laughable.

"God damn America!!!" is not exactly the gospel message, at least in my Bible, so BHO, if he is a Christian as you claim, his not rejecting that kind of hate coming from the pulpit is troubling, to say the least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You can opt out of swearing in on the bible if you are a public servant and instead swear in on the Constitution. Which would make more sense considering that is what you are actually swearing to uphold since the bible doesn't have anything to do with our constitution or how our country operates.

So, I think the tradition will become less and less used moving forward as the diversity of religious opinions in the public sector becomes more reflective of the general population.

The Presidential oath as prescribed by the Constitution allows the oath-taker to substitute the word "affirm" for "swear." For the very reason that swearing an oath was considered unbiblical by some.

The phrase "so help me God" is also not part of the oath. It was an ad hoc interjection by George Washington when he was sworn in, and has become traditional. It's been added to all sorts of oaths, but is not required. I've testified in court a few times as an expert witness. As a non-believer, I cannot honestly swear to God. So the attorney for whom I'm testifying privately asks the court clerk to omit that phrase when I'm sworn in. It's no big deal, and I doubt that the jury even notices.

Upvote 0