USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Before Donald Trump becomes president of the US, he will take and oath and have his hand on a Bible while doing so.

What's your prediction on how long the tradition will continue?

Obama-swearing-in.jpg

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Obama-swearing-in.jpg

That is until they actually open the Bible and read this:

Matthew 5:34-37
But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.[g]

It reflects the utter ignorance of our leaders and the justice system upon the very book they swear upon! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You can opt out of swearing in on the bible if you are a public servant and instead swear in on the Constitution. Which would make more sense considering that is what you are actually swearing to uphold since the bible doesn't have anything to do with our constitution or how our country operates.

So, I think the tradition will become less and less used moving forward as the diversity of religious opinions in the public sector becomes more reflective of the general population.

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I predict it will continue as long as 1 of 3 conditions are present:
  • Doing so is worth a few million votes for re-election
  • There is a Christian majority in this country
  • The candidate is actually a Christian

That sounds about right. When Obama was first elected, one of those conditions was present. When he was re-elected, two of them were. With Trump, three of them are.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That is until they actually open the Bible and read this:

Matthew 5:34-37
But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.[g]

It reflects the utter ignorance of our leaders and the justice system upon the very book they swear upon! :rolleyes:
So the scriptures make no distinction between religious oaths and secular oaths? Interesting.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That sounds about right. When Obama was first elected, one of those conditions was present. When he was re-elected, two of them were. With Trump, three of them are.

I think your count is debatable since President Obama actually was a member of the United Church of Christ and President-elect Trump really likes One Corinthians.

I had the pleasure of hearing then-Senator Obama speak about his faith at the General Synod of The United Church of Christ. Since then I have found all the aspersions directed toward him about his faith laughable.

• Winner
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So the scriptures make no distinction between religious oaths and secular oaths? Interesting.

Swearing, oaths, and vows are heathen stuff.

Even traditional wedding rituals are unbiblical and heathen in origins. A man and a woman who wishes to be intimate with each other and deciding to live together would be married once they did according to Genesis and in the Gospels.

This is probably going to be an issue among Christians who work in law or in politics especially if they are aware of that verse.

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think your count is debatable since President Obama actually was a member of the United Church of Christ and President-elect Trump really likes One Corinthians.

I had the pleasure of hearing then-Senator Obama speak about his faith at the General Synod of The United Church of Christ. Since then I have found all the aspersions directed toward him about his faith laughable.

Course, simply being a member of a church doesn't make a person a Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's on the side of topic, but does anyone know which biblical translation one swears on?

I just got a tad curious...

The elected official often supplies their own Bible, such as a family Bible so translations may vary. Of course we know it is more proper that they use the KJV containing the language Jesus spoke, His words highlighted in red preferred. Maybe a Constitutional Amendment in this regard? :grinning:

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

With respect to President Obama are you suggesting that there is not a Christian majority?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
The elected official often supplies their own Bible, such as a family Bible so translations may vary. Of course we know it is more proper that they use the KJV containing the language Jesus spoke, His words highlighted in red preferred. Maybe a Constitutional Amendment in this regard? :grinning:

Preferable indeed ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

I had the pleasure of listening to him last evening. What an intelligent, compassionate and articulate man!

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Before Donald Trump becomes president of the US, he will take and oath and have his hand on a Bible while doing so.

Obama-swearing-in.jpg
in this Political correct culture where even Christianity is considered hate speech probably 2 years.

Upvote 0