In which of the 11 nations of the United States are you?

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In his fourth book, "American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures in North America," award-winning author Colin Woodard identifies 11 distinct cultures that have historically divided the US.

"The country has been arguing about a lot of fundamental things lately including state roles and individual liberty," Woodard, a Maine native who won the 2012 George Polk for investigative reporting, told Business Insider.

this-map-shows-the-us-really-has-11-separate-nations-with-entirely-different-cultures.jpg

The-11-cultural-nations-of-the-united-states-2015-7

The author includes Canada (and Mexico) in these cultural regions. I was born in the Deep South. Received some my education there, and another part in Yankeedom. I've lived the last 30+ years in the Midlands. My values and opinions on most things are a blend of Midlands and Yankeedom.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hard to tell from that map if I'm in Yankeedom or the Midlands.

Maybe both, but the feeling is more the Midlands.

But...looking at the map, there's an amusing bit to tell you about. A blue collar buddy in my church, salt of the Earth, totally love him, and he took me up north into Wisconsin in his truck, camping and biking and meeting people, many relatives of his.... so I kinda have a real sense of Wisconsin from those days of that, at least the rural parts in the south and the central, and....since I also lived and breathed in the actual New England, near Boston, for 2 years, it's just hilariously funny to me that the map wants to include Wisconsin as I have experienced Wisconsin first hand as being a part of what I've experience near Boston first hand! LOL! Just very funny to me. HAH HAH HAH....still laughing.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also funny to imagine Austin Texas, where I lived about 27 years as being like Tennessee near Appalachia, where my wife is from. That isn't entirely wrong I guess, but Dallas?? LOL Ok, maybe. Maybe it's just right.

...I'm still laughing again and again, 5 minutes later.

I've lived in a lot of places for years, and this is really getting to me.
lol......

I like the verve of this map.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Leftcoast.

Though I think we Pacific Northwesterners wouldn't necessarily agree with the idea that we're in the same "nation" or general cultural milieu as most of California.

Cascadia forever.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I read Woodard's book.. it was interesting & enlightening.
I'm a native of Tidewater (eastern Virginia, North Carolina, DelMarVa area), but have moved around the country.

I've noticed over last 20 years, eastern VA often substitutes 'Hampton Roads' for Tidewater.

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In his fourth book, "American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures in North America," award-winning author Colin Woodard identifies 11 distinct cultures that have historically divided the US.

"The country has been arguing about a lot of fundamental things lately including state roles and individual liberty," Woodard, a Maine native who won the 2012 George Polk for investigative reporting, told Business Insider.

this-map-shows-the-us-really-has-11-separate-nations-with-entirely-different-cultures.jpg

The-11-cultural-nations-of-the-united-states-2015-7

The author includes Canada (and Mexico) in these cultural regions. I was born in the Deep South. Received some my education there, and another part in Yankeedom. I've lived the last 30+ years in the Midlands. My values and opinions on most things are a blend of Midlands and Yankeedom.
I was raised and live in Greater Appalachia.
My 'beliefs' based on the article are much more yankee or left coast.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I read Woodard's book.. it was interesting & enlightening.
I'm a native of Tidewater (eastern Virginia, North Carolina, DelMarVa area), but have moved around the country.

I've noticed over last 20 years, eastern VA often substitutes 'Hampton Roads' for Tidewater.
Yankeedom, but I have some fond memories of the Hampton Coliseum.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums