In what ways are you a liberal Christian ?

In what ways are you a liberal Christian ?

• politically

• biblically (non-literal/Bible fallible)

• theologically (gay acts okay/universalism)

• church politics (pro-female ministers/active gay ministers)

• attitude (love, love, unconditional love. non-judgemental)

• worship (Christian Rock ? happy clappy)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherberrie

running to stand still
Jul 30, 2003
Florida
✟582.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I checked all the above, but feel I need to break it down a bit.

Politically: I'm pro-life (abortion and death penalty), but I will always vote for women to have a choice. I try to concentrate more on finding the roots of problems in society and working from there for a solution instead of putting "band-aids" on everything. I support equal rights for homosexuals.
Biblically: Although I believe the Word of God to be infallible, I do believe that translations can have human errors, verses taken out of context, etc.
Theologically: Don't really know what to say about this one. I believe God works in different ways with everyone. I agree with alot of Henry Drummond's writings about love's importance to us as Christians.
Church Politics: Don't care much for politics in the church. If God has truely placed a desire in someone's heart to be leader of a church, it doesn't matter to me what sex or orientation they are.
Attitude: I try to spread God's love in all I do. Sure, there are days when I feel like punching a hole in the wall, but overall I try to be a loving, kind, encouraging person to those I encounter.
Worship: Anything goes for me. I like the hymns I was raised on, I like the Hillsongs music, I like the rockin' stuff too. The message comes through no matter what genre the music.

Reactions: transientlife
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Here's the basic run-down:

Politics - Pretty much conservative in my own personal views, but when it comes to the actual parties (Republican, Democrat, etc.), I have no affiliation, making me non-partisan.

Biblically - God's Word is inerrant and complete truth (conservative).

Theologically - conservative.

Church politics - I don't usually get into stuff like this, although I have personal views on specific issues.

Attitude - Definitely liberal, as Jesus says to love everyone unconditionally, no matter what (LOVE the sinner while HATING the sin).

Worship - Pretty much liberal; My personal musical tastes are very versatile, from classical styles to some alternative rock (the only thing I dislike is heavy metal). I'm also for upbeat, so-called "happy-clappy" music for church worship. Praise and worship music in contemporary styles being played in the church are okay; but should be pretty mellow in nature. Traditional classic hymns (Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, Old Rugged Cross) should STILL be sang in church along with the "newer" songs, so as to have a balance.

Other issues (some of these things are all matters of personal conviction): Playing cards and dice are okay if they're only being used for games and not for gambling. I read other translations besides KJV, but steering clear of those that are too far off-base. Women can wear pants and still be modest and feminine.

Conclusion: The way I understand it, there would be some that would believe me to be too strict, yet there are still some who would probably believe I'm not strict enough. Overall, I consider myself to have conservative leanings, but not so ultra-conservative as to be "legalistic".

Upvote 0

indra_fanatic

Feb 12, 2005
Visit site
✟16,733.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know that I am a "liberal" Christian at all (and I don't like that term to begin with, because it's way too vague and can be used for slanderous purposes), but I guess in that I do like to put out challenging and unorthodox ideas that tend to rankle both the left and right.

Upvote 0

freespirit2001

Contributor
Dec 3, 2003
Eastern Shore off the Chesapeake Bay, Md
Visit site
✟12,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Liberal Christian Movement is here, amidst us, that's for sure :clap: However, like the words spoken about the "Kingdom of God" being amidst us, has anyone yet gone to a church or a bible study where everyone is welcoming others amd introducing themselves as "Liberal Christians?":
"Hi welcome everyone! We're all liberal christians here, sit down and stay a while!"

I think what keynotes Liberals from "dyed-in-the-wool dogmatic indoctrinated believers" is their use of rationalism in their thinking habits, and their need to ask any or all kinds of questions (about faith and spiritual insight, good church organization...). There is no pretense "about the protocol" of good question asking and good information gathering.

Liberals also themselves don't like labels, and view them as signs of lazy thinking.

I think personally, good question asking allows for more accurate relevant information gathering and better reasoning and decision-making skills and better problem-solving skills in life. I would like to think more liberal thinking habits allows for more liberal spiritual attitudes and a deeper empathy in their faith in God.

Remember inner wisdom is also inner spirit-led wisdom.

Reactions: Mustaphile
Upvote 0

Iprotest

Mar 15, 2005
✟162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politically: Conservative -- Vote Republican/Am a Republican.

Biblically: Moderate-Liberal -- I believe the Bible is inspired, but not all of it is literal. I believe that the Old Testament is part allegory (i.e. creation story/Adam and Eve, donkeys talking to people, some of the prophets, etc), part ancient Jewish law, part ancient history, part moral/ethical instruction (i.e. later prophets). The New Testament is more relevant in my opinion -- particularly the Gospels. (In fact, if all we had were the Gospels, that would be fine with me -- and probably all we need, in my opinion). I think -- and I know that conservative Christians will smack me on this -- there is a difference between the message/theology of the Gospels and some of the epistles. The Pauline epistles seem more focused on theology (i.e., a religion about Jesus vs. the religion of Jesus). The Book of Revelation -- probably written for Christians persecuted by Rome; some good verses but I don't think it's a roadmap for the endtimes (I could be wrong on that, though).

Church politics -- opposed to gay/lesbian pastors/marriage. Pretty traditionalist when it comes to church structure. Definitely not a legalist and don't think you should have to adhere to a creed to join. If you commit to following Jesus, that should be enough.

Attitude -- I aspire to unconditional love, but fall way short. Some things are definitely right or wrong, but if you have to confront someone's destructive behavior, it should be out of love and not as a judge.

Worship -- This is obviously a personal choice and there are no right or wrong answers. I prefer more traditional worship with liturgy and traditional hymns. I personally have no use overhead for projectors or power points, big stage productions or contemporary Christian/praise music.

I guess, looking over all this, I'm probably not considered a religious liberal. Maybe I'm not. Don't care. I'm definitely not a literalist/legalist and I flee from those churches. But I also believe that there are moral absolutes and can't abide churches that don't stand for anything or are driven by political ideology (right or left).

I would love to find a church that worships God, studies/follows Jesus' teaching and example, and doesn't weigh the whole thing down with compulsory religious theories.

Are there any MODERATE churches out there? :confused:

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wish I could've said attitude, but I think that would have been pride on my part. I agree that the attitude would be extremely Christ-like, but I don't know if I can say I really follow that ideal.

Upvote 0

fejao

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Sep 29, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
✟9,349.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The question is by who's standard are we defining Liberal? To some one might be a liberal to others conservative. Some people may have oppinions that are considered liberal and others conservative.

I think this is another pigeon hole thing, why dont people realise that we dont fit into nice neat boxes, only things made for boxes fit into boxes. I hate to be the one to break the news but, we are not designed for boxes. We were designed to be unique every one of us and to have a relationship with our lord..... certainly not boxes or pigeon holes!

Fejao x

Upvote 0

alabaster jar

Vessel of Faith, Hope, and Love
Mar 15, 2005
upstairs
✟19,593.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am moderate. Don't fit into either Liberal or Conservative completely. Not sure about women as Pastors, or gays. Just not sure; no real strong feelings. Against gay marriage but not so much for biblical reasons, but social reasons and bringing up kids with a mom and dad. A lot of things I just let God decide on and leave it at that. I believe many of the bible stories are figurative and metephorical, meant to show meaning and not to suspend logic or science (I guess that's the most liberal part of me.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Charlie V

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2004
New Jersey
✟16,611.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
blessedbe said:
Theologically: Thats changing all the time! :) Can't go with Universalism cuz' that would negate the Cross in my opinion, but I think alot more people will be saved than most think.

I never understood statements like this. It baffles me, defies logic. How would universalism "negate the cross"? Are you saying the reason Christ died on the cross was to send people to hell? Seems to me the opposite--that anything other than universalism would negate the cross. He came to save the world--to deny universalism is to say that His mission was a failure.

Charlie

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Of course I'm liberal, Jesus set me free.

How is it my business what others do in their bedrooms? Should I expect non-believers to live a holy life when not even we who have God's spirit in us can't?
Should I limit God to one musical style?
Should I believe the Bible because I figure it's infallible or because I experience Jesus?
Why should I concern myself with theology at all?

Upvote 0

JayTee

Mar 20, 2005
Shropshire, UK
✟141.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
There is a problem with the word `liberal` because in the US and Canada it means left wing, but in the UK it means moderate and centerist. But that aside, what am I?

When I first became a Christian I was ultra conservative, but God has worked on me and now I am a moderate (liberal?) Christian.

Theologically, I believe in creation, that God inspired The Bible and that it is the Word of God, inerrant in its original manuscripts (and this latter part is the key as we don`t have the original manuscripts anymore). I also believe in the rapture and the pre-trib position.

But I also see nothing wrong with gay Christians or preachers (there is a big misconception over the words used in the Bible and on close examination they do not condemn loving homosexual relationships, but that`s another argument...). I think women should be allowed to preach, and be Bishops.

Politically I am a social libertarian or `wet` Tory.

So am I a liberal? Probably...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.