US
✟28,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's not a difference in language its literally a different word. The Hebrews have an equivalent word for God as descriptor ("El" I believe), but God himself has an actual name, the full unabreviation of YHWH, (the tetragrammaton) that the Hebrews neither wrote nor spoke without the abreviation.

I understand that but you missed my point. Being that you just referred to God as God not Yahweh.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I understand that but you missed my point. Being that you just referred to God as God not Yahweh.

Because God is an adjective and not the name of God so I can use it. It is a descriptor.

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Any situation where you don't feel guilty about doing it, and it won't cause another person to stumble. It's different for everyone. Be respectful, and don't get too hung up about it. (I'm sure your dog wasn't offended.) ;-)
Now that is a great answer.

Blessed is the man whose heart does not offend him in the thing with he alloweth.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God says that using his name in any sense other than giving him glory, directly calling out to him or referring to him (in A truthful matter) is in vain. Using his name for expressions such as simple frustration, etc, or in any sense that someone might use a cuss word in, is sinful and demeaning to the glorious meaning of God.
Ok, we might infer this application from the verse "let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth," which is a general statement about griping and is not limited to 4-letter words.

However, you said "God says" - would you please tell me where you see this?
TD:)

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God says that using his name in any sense other than giving him glory, directly calling out to him or referring to him (in A truthful matter) is in vain. Using his name for expressions such as simple frustration, etc, or in any sense that someone might use a cuss word in, is sinful and demeaning to the glorious meaning of God.
What would you consider giving glory to his name Gianna?

Upvote 0

Follower3

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2013
✟378,035.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it was appropriate, you were concerned at the infestation on your dog. It was you starting a prayer out of fear, and disgust. Next time finish the prayer. "Oh my God! These fleas on my dog are horrible, please help me get rid of them, so my dog can be healthy!" You were calling out to him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think it was appropriate, you were concerned at the infestation on your dog. It was you starting a prayer out of fear, and disgust. Next time finish the prayer. "Oh my God! These fleas on my dog are horrible, please help me get rid of them, so my dog can be healthy!" You were calling out to him.
Not to mention amazement, shock, awe, and maybe a bit of guilt for letting your poor doggie get that bad... Oh my God! How did this happen, how did I let this happen... Oh my God! I'm such a bad owner... Oh my God... Overwhelmed, overcome, ect...

Totally appropriate... And understandable...

And there are other kinds of feelings and emotions and emotional states, ect, that will sometimes make you spit out this kind of response without really thinking about it, that are totally appropriate as well...

That's why I think some people on here are kind of ridiculous for treating it like such a deadly serious matter...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Not to mention amazement, shock, awe, and maybe a bit of guilt for letting your poor doggie get that bad... Oh my God! How did this happen, how did I let this happen... Oh my God! I'm such a bad owner... Oh my God... Overwhelmed, overcome, ect...

Totally appropriate... And understandable...

And there are other kinds of feelings and emotions and emotional states, ect, that will sometimes make you spit out this kind of response without really thinking about it, that are totally appropriate as well...

That's why I think some people on here are kind of ridiculous for treating it like such a deadly serious matter...

God Bless!
I said "Jesus" yesterday when I was in the doctors office and had to fill out some new paperwork, because they had just changed hands, I don't make a habit of it, but it does happen sometimes...

And I said it aloud with others present without even thinking about it, cause I was overwhelmed, and was trying to rush though them increasingly as the time of my appointment got closer, and when I got about halfway through them, and the time of my appointment was near, I started flipping ahead through the rest of the papers ahead just to see how much more I had to fill out, then, I just said it, didn't really mean to do it, but He knew I was actually talking to Him and expressing a feeling and emotion to Him, that was kind of hard to express or put into words otherwise, ect... When the other people looked at me though, I was kind of "Oh, maybe probably shouldn't have said that aloud right then" But I still would have thought it in my head still at least...

It was quite literally a whole stack of papers, and I did come in a half an hour early like they asked, but I think I maybe should have come in an hour early, and I still had to take take them into my appointment with me and stay there afterwards and finish them up when I got out, and then turn them in when I finally got done, ect... Should I maybe should have said "Holy cow" or something, or something else instead...? But, I'm not a Hindu either...

It's not cursing Him, or even using His name in vain really... Again, I try not to make a habit out of it, and truth be told I really don't do it that often, but it does happen sometimes, you just "feel it" sometimes... And He understands it most of the time I think...

Anyway,

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0