Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So its a sin to say this word since its blasphemy?
I don't know if it is blasphemy or not, but to say it at all diminishes the power and glory of the One who let His Son die for your sins.
Does that sound like respectful use of the term "God"?
It really speaks to your concept of God.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think it's funny how some people think God is so small or petty sometimes... And I think He may think it's funny sometimes too, maybe...

There are much more serious and far much more worse sins than "this" being discussed here... especially in this context, ect...

Is your God really so small...? Or the way you think of Him really so small...?

I don't think many of you really know Him very well at all...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL I hear ya. When I was young...with some friends.. something happen where I said "Praise GOD GLORY TO JESUS".

Its not what we think. God is NOT going to hold you accountable to what anyone says here or believes here. We know we will answer for every idol word. We ARE like God.. that called those things that be not as though they were.

No.. its not blasphemy. So.. pray ask HIM! He will tell you.. HE IS REAL! He talks.. in someway.. He will tell you. I can see .. I might say.. PRAISE GOD..look how many.....

Does not the word say "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

Upvote 0

Gianna Mattina

Passionate and loving Christian!
Jul 15, 2019
Arroyo Grande
✟15,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was washing my dog a few minutes ago and used the word oh my god because he had so much fleas.
In what situations can i use this word?
God calls upon His people to not use his name in vain. This means not to use it in any situation that either belittles the power and meaning of God’s holy name not to use it if it does not bring God glory. Using God’s name in any other form but to call out to him (whether be in praise, sadness, anger, etc) is a sin. Even saying Jesus Christ, Christ, Jesus, or even just simply saying God, in any form that’s does not directly address God, is sinful. You may, however call out to God in song or prayer, praise, anger, sadness, etc, as long as you are directly referring to him or calling out to him.

Similar is the case for the word Damn. Damn can be used as a swear word if used as an exclamation or response to a situation, but when it’s used as ‘damned’ or ‘damnation’ (even then you must know not to overdo it simply to be able to use the word) in order to describe someone or something considered atrociously evil and sinful, it is okay. It is even used in the Bible to describe some sort of abombidable act, person, or thing.

Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thou shalt not use the LORD's name in vain. An obvious, common way this commandment is violated is referring to God unnecessarily, or misusing a reference to him, such as when swearing and cursing. One of the subtle ways, however, this command can be broken is with euphemisms. A euphemism is a mild, seemingly harmless word or phrase used in place of a more direct or harsh term. The devil is so sly and devious in perverting our language that we hear many Christians frequently using euphemisms, while they may not even realize they're taking the LORD's name in vain.

Upvote 0

Gianna Mattina

Passionate and loving Christian!
Jul 15, 2019
Arroyo Grande
✟15,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Blasphemy is speaking against God or the Holy Spirit, such as the pharisees attributed Jesus' casting out demons to Satan. Using the title "God" in a meaningless byword isn't near as bad, and should not be considered blasphemy. But "taking the Lord's name in vain" is not blasphemy either. If a person says "thus says the Lord" when the Lord did not speak, that person is taking the Lord's name in vain, because they are claiming to speak on His authority when they don't have it. The word "name" in this context means "by the authority of," much the same as baptizing "in the name" of God. So when someone teaches false doctrine in the guise of "it's God's word," they are taking God's name in vain. When a person quotes a verse of the Bible out of context, in which the meaning is twisted into some idea not conveyed in the text, that person is taking God's name in vain, because they are claiming to speak the truth from God's word that is actually not true. Saying "Oh my God!" as an emotional expression is widely considered "taking God's name in vain," but it isn't, in my opinion. The expression implies calling on God to right a wrong, or to fix a problem. Someone could use that expression vainly or meaninglessly, or they could use it with the thought of praying that God act on the situation. Therefore, the expression itself is not sinful.
TD:)
God says that using his name in any sense other than giving him glory, directly calling out to him or referring to him (in A truthful matter) is in vain. Using his name for expressions such as simple frustration, etc, or in any sense that someone might use a cuss word in, is sinful and demeaning to the glorious meaning of God.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was washing my dog a few minutes ago and used the word oh my god because he had so much fleas.
You're okay, man. God's name is not God. Besides, using it as a term of amazement is not taking His name in vain if you are worried about it. You are not under any law that tells you when, where, and in what context to say "God." There is no sin being committed. If it bothers you that much ask God about it and see if He reveals anything to you. Otherwise, just get them fleas off the dog and carry on :)

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think it's funny how some people think God is so small or petty sometimes... And I think He may think it's funny sometimes too, maybe...

There are much more serious and far much more worse sins than "this" being discussed here... especially in this context, ect...

Is your God really so small...? Or the way you think of Him really so small...?

I don't think many of you really know Him very well at all...

Actually, it is the man who has a small view of God who has little respect for His name. A man who has a bigger view of God, who understands better His awesome power, and glory, and holiness would not dream of using God's name casually. And God has Himself forbidden the frivolous use of His name. See Exodus 20:7. I would urge you, then, to re-think your attitude toward taking God's name in vain. As He has said, He will not hold him free of guilt who takes His name in vain.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You're okay, man. God's name is not God.

It is not the particular word used to refer to God that is the crucial issue but to whom the word refers. Whether a person uses Yahweh, or Jehovah, or God, or whatever title, if one is referring to the God of the Bible, the Creator of All Things, when one casually says, "Oh my ---!" they are guilty of using His name in vain.

You are not under any law that tells you when, where, and in what context to say "God."

As part of God's universal Moral Law, encapsulated in the Ten Commandments, the Christian is not free of the command never to use God's name in vain. See Exodus 20:7. Using God's name to exclaim over a dog's fleas is clearly a vain invocation of His name. As such, it is sin.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GraceBro

Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is not the particular word used to refer to God that is the crucial issue but to whom the word refers. Whether a person uses Yahweh, or Jehovah, or God, or whatever title, if one is referring to the God of the Bible, the Creator of All Things, when one casually says, "Oh my ---!" they are guilty of using His name in vain.

As part of God's universal Moral Law, encapsulated in the Ten Commandments, the Christian is not free of the command never to use God's name in vain. See Exodus 20:7. Using God's name to exclaim over a dog's fleas is clearly a vain invocation of His name. As such, it is sin.
Well, if I was a Jew under the Law, perhaps that would have some merit. However, I am a born again Christian who is not under the law (see Galatians 3:24-25). Besides, taking God's name in vain is to take His name upon yourself as part of your new identity in Him for no reason. In other words, you fail to live in response to the truth of who you now are, identified with Him. Even if it sin, God is not counting it against him (see 2 Corinthians 5:19; Hebrews 10:17-18); he is forgiven. I am not going to be the one to bury somebody under the law for saying "Oh my God" in response to the number of fleas on a dog. I am not in bondage to the law and don't need to put another Christian under that same yoke. Grace and Peace.

• Agree
Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain." Exodus 20:7

Where in all of Scripture is any exception made to this rule? Does God allow you to invoke His name just because your dog has a lot of fleas? That's treating His name very lightly, don't you think?

The standard for judging right from wrong isn't how you feel about a thing, but whether or not God has, in explicit command or principle, condemned it. Using God's name in vain comes with a warning, so it seems to me you ought to be doubly careful to avoid doing so.

While I agree that these words shouldn't be thrown around the way they are, it should be noted that God, is not actually the Name of God. God is an adjective, a description of a role. The Hebrew name of God is what the commandment actually applies to.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Why were you saying it?
As an expression of praise, in whichg case you would need to also say what you were praising God.

If you were blaspheming, why were you?

Simple answer is we never ever use God, Jesus, Christ or the contractions of these names as a swear word or curse.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well, if I was a Jew under the Law, perhaps that would have some merit. However, I am a born again Christian who is not under the law (see Galatians 3:24-25).

But you are under God's Moral Law. The New Covenant doesn't suspend these universal laws, which is why we may read Paul's frequent condemnation of various forms of immorality in his letters to the Early Church (as we may do in John's and Peter's letters, too). The Ten Commandments - of which Exodus 20:7 is a part - fall under the category of divine Moral Law, not the laws of ceremony or separation given solely to the Israelites and dissolved by the New Covenant. As such, you are not free to disobey them but, instead, as one indwelt by God's Spirit, are to "fulfill the righteousness of the law." (Romans 8:4)

Even if it sin, God is not counting it against him (see 2 Corinthians 5:19; Hebrews 10:17-18); he is forgiven.

God does not count our sin, our contravention of His Moral Law, against us in the way He will those who are not His children, but He does warn us when we sin of chastisement (Hebrews 12:5-11), of the loss of fellowship (not relationship) with Him (Isaiah 59:2; 2 Corinthians 6:14), of the grieving of His Spirit (Ephesians 4:30), and the loss of eternal reward on Judgment Day (1 Corinthians 3:13-15). No Christian can sin with utter impunity; this is not what the grace of God extended to us in Christ allows.

I am not going to be the one to bury somebody under the law for saying "Oh my God" in response to the number of fleas on a dog. I am not in bondage to the law and don't need to put another Christian under that same yoke.

You do err, not knowing the Scriptures. See above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
While I agree that these words shouldn't be thrown around the way they are, it should be noted that God, is not actually the Name of God. God is an adjective, a description of a role. The Hebrew name of God is what the commandment actually applies to.

I already addressed this in post #30.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But you are under God's Moral Law. The New Covenant doesn't suspend these universal laws, which is why we may read Paul's frequent condemnation of various forms of immorality in his letters to the Early Church (as we may do in John's and Peter's letters, too). The Ten Commandments - of which Exodus 20:7 is a part - fall under the category of divine Moral Law, not the laws of ceremony or separation given solely to the Israelites and dissolved by the New Covenant. As such, you are not free to disobey them but, instead, as one indwelt by God's Spirit, are to "fulfill the righteousness of the law." (Romans 8:4)

God does not count our sin, our contravention of His Moral Law, against us in the way He will those who are not His children, but He does warn us when we sin of chastisement (Hebrews 12:5-11), of the loss of fellowship (not relationship) with Him (Isaiah 59:2; 2 Corinthians 6:14), of the grieving of His Spirit (Ephesians 4:30), and the loss of eternal reward on Judgment Day (1 Corinthians 3:13-15). No Christian can sin with utter impunity; this is not what the grace of God extended to us in Christ allows.

Disagreement with you is not evidence of any error. I may new to you, but not this subject. We will just have to agree to disagree. Mixing the old and new covenants is not what the Lord has revealed to me. Just pray for me if you think I am in error. I will prayer for you because I think you are in error. And we can both pray for our brother, who is being ignored by this sidebar, that he finds comfort in all this. Grace and Peace

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You can't redefine the Jewish Law to mean something different then originally intended just because you aren't under it. Our God is the Jewish God, and his name is still the same for us as it is for them.

Upvote 0

SaintNick

Jun 10, 2017
US
✟28,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I only feel I've spoken wrongly when I say God D..... it. Out of bad habit.
I say oh my god all the time. I don't think that phrase is wrong to use.

Our God is the Jewish God, and his name is still the same for us as it is for them.

I don't believe it that way because languages change across the world and we're all to receive the gospel so whatever the language the reference is the same.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I only feel I've spoken wrongly when I say God D..... it. Out of bad habit.
I say oh my god all the time. I don't think that phrase is wrong to use.

I don't believe it that way because languages change across the world and we're all to receive the gospel so whatever the language the reference is the same.

It's not a difference in language its literally a different word. The Hebrews have an equivalent word for God as descriptor ("El" I believe), but God himself has an actual name, the full unabreviation of YHWH, (the tetragrammaton) that the Hebrews neither wrote nor spoke without the abreviation.

Upvote 0