• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured In what situations can i use Oh my god

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Jags, Jul 13, 2019 at 9:48 PM.

1. Jags

Jags Member

+88
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I was washing my dog a few minutes ago and used the word oh my god because he had so much fleas.
    In what situations can i use this word?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ewq1938

ewq1938 Chewbacca kree! Supporter

+3,925
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

Psa_25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

3. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+4,873
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    When addressing him directly, respectfully, and sincerily.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Phil W

Phil W Well-Known Member

+186
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Use it while praying.

5. greenguzzi

greenguzzi Post-Evangelical, Social Anarchist, One of The Way

+697
    Australia
    Protestant
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Any situation where you don't feel guilty about doing it, and it won't cause another person to stumble. It's different for everyone. Be respectful, and don't get too hung up about it. (I'm sure your dog wasn't offended.) ;-)

6. Jags

Jags Member

+88
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    But i still shouldn't just throw the word around when i feel like it right?

7. greenguzzi

greenguzzi Post-Evangelical, Social Anarchist, One of The Way

+697
    Australia
    Protestant
    Married
    AU-Greens
    No, probably not. But don't get too upset or hung up when you do. It's not a big deal, especially with someone who is as considerate are you clearly are.
    Just let it go, there are more important things that God wants you to spend time thinking about.

8. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+534
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Worship? :)

9. Joined2krist

Joined2krist Well-Known Member

+420
    Catholic
    Single
    Use it when you want to glorify God

10. tdidymas

tdidymas Newbie

+581
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    I wouldn't use the term "God" as a byword, why not change the expression to "oh my goodness"? or even "yikes!"?
    TD:)

11. Jags

Jags Member

+88
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I don't say Oh my G a lot but sometimes do but most of the times just say Oh my gosh

12. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+2,679
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain." Exodus 20:7

Where in all of Scripture is any exception made to this rule? Does God allow you to invoke His name just because your dog has a lot of fleas? That's treating His name very lightly, don't you think?

The standard for judging right from wrong isn't how you feel about a thing, but whether or not God has, in explicit command or principle, condemned it. Using God's name in vain comes with a warning, so it seems to me you ought to be doubly careful to avoid doing so.

13. Jags

Jags Member

+88
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    So basically i'm not allowed to say this at all? I accidentally said it

14. Lost4words

Lost4words Like a puppy, i need guidance. Supporter

+2,975
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    In prayer and worship

15. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+2,679
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Not vainly, no. Why would you? Why would you refer to God in such a casual way?

16. Andrew77

Andrew77 The walking accident Supporter

+1,205
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    The only time you can say that phrase correctly, is when you are saying it to G-d himself. When you say to G-d "Oh my G-d, please be with me" or a similar statement, then you are saying G-d's name correctly, because you are talking to him.

When you say "Oh my G-d, look at that tick on my dog!" and you are not talking to G-d, but rather to a neighbor, or a friend, or family.... then you are using G-d's name in vain.

My advice.... blot that phrase out of your speech. Don't ever say it.

17. Phil W

Phil W Well-Known Member

+186
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Right, as it is using the Lord's name in vain.

18. Jags

Jags Member

+88
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Alright Thanks

19. Jags

Jags Member

+88
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    So its a sin to say this word since its blasphemy?

20. tdidymas

tdidymas Newbie

+581
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    Blasphemy is speaking against God or the Holy Spirit, such as the pharisees attributed Jesus' casting out demons to Satan. Using the title "God" in a meaningless byword isn't near as bad, and should not be considered blasphemy. But "taking the Lord's name in vain" is not blasphemy either. If a person says "thus says the Lord" when the Lord did not speak, that person is taking the Lord's name in vain, because they are claiming to speak on His authority when they don't have it. The word "name" in this context means "by the authority of," much the same as baptizing "in the name" of God. So when someone teaches false doctrine in the guise of "it's God's word," they are taking God's name in vain. When a person quotes a verse of the Bible out of context, in which the meaning is twisted into some idea not conveyed in the text, that person is taking God's name in vain, because they are claiming to speak the truth from God's word that is actually not true. Saying "Oh my God!" as an emotional expression is widely considered "taking God's name in vain," but it isn't, in my opinion. The expression implies calling on God to right a wrong, or to fix a problem. Someone could use that expression vainly or meaninglessly, or they could use it with the thought of praying that God act on the situation. Therefore, the expression itself is not sinful.
    TD:)