• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

In Virginia, and elsewhere, gun supporters prepare to defy new laws

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by 98cwitr, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:11 PM.

1. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,650
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+13,142
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    So, if I read that article correctly, they don't want background checks? So to make a point they are willing to risk guns getting into the hands of criminals, the mentally unstable, children, etc.?

3. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,650
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    They don't want *universal background checks; which they fear would infringe upon private sales or inheritance transfers. I understand that, as I wish to pass firearms down to my children and grandchildren as long as they demonstrate that they are responsible and are not felons.

4. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Programmer Extraordinaire Supporter

+7,951
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    So like...background checks?

5. ThatRobGuy

+7,951
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    There's a particular irony I see with regards to the, what I'll refer to as, "Hardcore Pro-gun movement" (for lack of a better term) - as there are degrees of gun objection and acceptance across the spectrum and it's not just a binary thing... (I own over a dozen firearms ranging from basic handguns all the way up to decked out AR's and tactical shotguns, but I'm in favor of universal background check and mandatory proficiency testing and mental health screening. -- the two extremes of the spectrum would call me either a "gun nut", or "anti-gun" depending on which side you're talking to lol.)

They present a sizable portion of their arguments and positions with the preface "As law abiding citizens..." or phrase their opposition to certain measures within the context of "...the impact it will have on law abiding citizens"

...yet, anytime gun control laws of any kind are proposed, almost the first thing they do is publicly declare their intent to "not abide by the law if it should pass".

I think they really ought to change their phrasing to "As citizens who agree to abide by the particular laws we don't object to..."

6. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,797
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    It's almost as-if the gun lobby has a vested interest in keeping everyone armed, including criminals and the mentally ill.

For the record, I'm also the owner of several guns but support universal background checks, proficiency testing, licensing etc

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Yttrium

Yttrium Active Member

+339
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Because they believe it's unconstitutional, and therefore not a "real" law.

What they probably hope for is that they'll get charged with a crime, they'll take it to the Supreme Court, and the conservative majority there will throw the law out. But they may be overly optimistic about that.

8. ThatRobGuy

+7,951
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    If they believe any and all gun laws are unconstitutional, then I'd recommend they re-read the DC v. Heller ruling. They cite it quite often for the part about the ruling declaring "Gun ownership is an individual right, not a collective one", but they seemingly stopped reading it before it got to the part 2 stating:

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.

9. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+2,713
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others