• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

In Touch with a Syriac Orthodox Priest

Discussion in 'The Voice In The Desert - Oriental Orthodox' started by Al Masihi, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Al Masihi

Al Masihi Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,900
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    Yesterday I went to the Syriac Orthodox Church of Saint Thomas in London where I currently am for vacation, after the service for Wednesday night I approached metropolitan Bishop Nicodemus Dawud who happened to be there when I visited the Church I told him I was a convert from Saudi and would like to convert formally to Christianity, since the Syriac Orthodox Church was the only Arabic speaking Church I could find in London and I was rather desperate I pretty much went to this one which was the nearest one. I received a warm welcome from the Bishop who led me to a priest named Father Ephrem who he said would guide me and take care of me and if they think I really am serious then they would baptize me into the Church, most of our conversation was going on in Arabic. Father Ephrem gave me his number which I now lost because my family unfortunately don’t want me communicating with a priest or even talking about this online because it’s a threat to do so while we still live in Saudi. So I’m not sure what do do, Father Ephrem said he’d like to see me again and asked me to come on Sunday, but my family don’t want me to go back.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+8,146
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Lord have mercy. May He open the eyes and hearts of your family.

Not to push you in any given direction, but it is perhaps providential that you should go to a Syriac Orthodox church in particular, as the Antiochian Syriacs and Antiochian Greeks have better relations with each other than many others, with intercommunion allowed between the two churches in the diaspora, as I understand it.

3. Al Masihi

+1,900
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    Who knows how things may end up, I might end up being baptized into the Syriac Orthodox Church. The Syriacs welcomed my conversion into the Church, my family would never allow it though.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  4. dzheremi

+8,146
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    May the Lord guide you and keep you safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,706
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Prayers for you. I am glad you have been able to speak to a Christian priest (finally!).

When might you be able to move to another place permanently?

6. TheLostCoin

TheLostCoin A Lonesome Coin Supporter

+639
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Glory to God in the Highest!

7. Al Masihi

+1,900
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    Not for another two years or so, I’m not sure if I can really communicate with a priest presently.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  8. dzheremi

+8,146
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    May God preserve you until such a time as you can make your own decisions, Al Masihi.

9. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,706
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yes, I pray God will protect and guide you. You've already endured over a year and a half, is it, that we have known you? While you sought out Truth all on your own in a difficult environment? Glory to God for all that He has helped you so far. Two years is a while yet I know. But I've been glad to see you doing pretty well in difficulties so far. The rest of us should appreciate how much more easily we can have whatever access we have.

If you are agreeable to communication by email in the meantime, I can imagine that could probably be arranged.

Prayers for you.

10. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+7,695
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Am definitely praying for you, brother. Please, keep us updated!

11. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+798
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I guess I'm a little surprised at that London is such a large city, and there are so many groups that speak Arabic: Copts, Maronites, Melkites, Antiochians, Assyrians besides SOC, not to mention you are so much closer to those groups homeland than the here in the states so I would think there would at least be the same number there. But maybe that is a sign of the general decline of Christianity in Europe.

12. Pavel Mosko

+798
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Well I think out of the Oriental Churches the SOC could really use you. In the states they are the hardest to find of the main 5 OO Churches (even if you lump the Indian church in with the main Syriac Church). I get the impression they were the most troubled or stressed Church before the whole War against Terror got going, and now of course they got so many more problems.

The great thing about having Arabic as a native language is you should do really well in picking up the old church Syriac.

13. Al Masihi

+1,900
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    I do feel many cultural ties with the Syriac Orthodox Church due to being from the Levant. The Syriac Church has been the most pressured of the Orthodox Churches, while only the Coptic and Syriac Orthodox Churches mainly fell under Islamic rule, it was the Syriacs however that bore the brunt of the oppression and genocide while the Copts mainly kept to themselves avoiding most attempts at suppression.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  14. Pavel Mosko

+798
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Well if you join it will be nice in that its been ages since I've had a friend in that Church. There was this one guy I knew on the web who lived in Los Angeles in the 2004-2006. He had a Oriental Orthodox site, he had some write ups on the "Answering Questions of Why I am non-Chalcedonian Orthodox" and went into detail on Why he believed the schism was a misunderstanding of language (the use of prepositions between Greek and Syriac) and politics. It was really good stuff, I wish I would have managed to print it out or otherwise archive it since it disappeared from the web (not being good with languages I tend to use stuff from people who are fluent in the given language).

Monophysitism: Reconsidered | Become Orthodox

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+7,695
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Prayers for you, where ever you wind up, brother.