In the Lutheran Church, who may administer the Sacraments?

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This came up in my mind during COVID lockdowns.
I believe that in the RCC and Eastern Orthodoxy, only the Priest may administer communion or maybe consecrate it and let deacons distribute it?
How about the Lutheran Church? We are different than other Protestant denominations in that we believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Bread and wine, so must the Pastor alone consecrate or bless it with the Words and then others can distribute?
Can we give ourselves communion at home ourselves?(I would not do so)
I realize that in Lutheranism there are only 2 sacraments and in the case of Baptism any lay Christian may baptize in the name of the Triune God in an emergency( I read of a case where a Catholic nurse baptized an infant that was died soon after birth) But what about the Eucharist? And what is the difference, if any, between the various Lutheran sects?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Church calls and ordains pastors to serve as ministers of Word and Sacrament. So pastors administer the Eucharist. But not because pastors have a kind of special sacerdotal grace, but because the Church, for the purpose of good order and worship, calls and ordains pastors to serve in this capacity for the benefit of all the Faithful. So the Church grants to these ministers the task of being servants, to minister the Church in Christ's name and stead through Word and Sacrament.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Church calls and ordains pastors to serve as ministers of Word and Sacrament. So pastors administer the Eucharist. But not because pastors have a kind of special sacerdotal grace, but because the Church, for the purpose of good order and worship, calls and ordains pastors to serve in this capacity for the benefit of all the Faithful. So the Church grants to these ministers the task of being servants, to minister the Church in Christ's name and stead through Word and Sacrament.

-CryptoLutheran
So if I would get sick, would one of my pastors come to visit and give me Communion?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This came up in my mind during COVID lockdowns.
I believe that in the RCC and Eastern Orthodoxy, only the Priest may administer communion or maybe consecrate it and let deacons distribute it?

But what about the Eucharist? And what is the difference, if any, between the various Lutheran sects?
I can't add much to what Via wrote. I will add that in the RCC the Bishop may allow Priests to have Eucharistic Ministers (trained lay members) distribute communion in Church and bring it to sick or home bound parishioners. This is the norm in the USA, I can't speak about outside of the US though.

The ELCA, since you asked about other Lutheran "sects" (synods :) ) , allows parishioners that are commissioned by the parish to bring communion to sick or homebound as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I can't add much to what Via wrote. I will add that in the RCC the Bishop may allow Priests to have Eucharistic Ministers (trained lay members) distribute communion in Church and bring it to sick or home bound parishioners. This is the norm in the USA, I can't speak about outside of the US though.

The ELCA, since you asked about other Lutheran "sects" (synods :) ) , allows parishioners that are commissioned by the parish to bring communion to sick or homebound as well.
Such is not the case in the LCMS/LCC. Scripture is not clear that in doing so, the Eucharist remains valid. The words of our Lord state "take and eat", "take and drink", which is very clear; nowhere does it state 'take and keep it for later use' nor does it say 'put it in a box or a monstrance and pray to it'. Since such actions are outside what is commanded in Scripture, we have no assurance that the Eucharist is valid outside of the context of the Mass. It is therefore our custom to consume any remaining host and wine, then purify the sacred vessels.

Because Scripture is not Clear, neither are our confessions; so it falls under "adiaphora". Not common, but there are LCMS Churches that do have a "Tabernacle", but I have never seen one in an altar, only in the side of the Chancel, or in the Sacristy.

If our Congregation is in error doing what we do, we are erring on the side of Caution.

Our Pastors will always commune the homebound and infirm when requested, private confession at Church during scheduled hours, and anywhere else at other times.

With Covid lock-downs, Pastor was not always allowed to go to hospitals and extended care residences, and when they are, they must be vaccinated and have frequent tests; but one of our local pastors was vaccinated early, and has been doing chaplain duty when allowed.

BTW, the Augsburg Confession defines 3 sacraments; Baptism, Eucharist, and Confession and Absolution. It depends on the definition. While the Lutheran Church still administers all 7 of the sacramental acts defined as sacraments in the Catholic Church, because we have a more rigid definition we list only 2 (3).

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Such is not the case in the LCMS/LCC. Scripture is not clear that in doing so, the Eucharist remains valid. The words of our Lord state "take and eat", "take and drink", which is very clear; nowhere does it state 'take and keep it for later use' nor does it say 'put it in a box or a monstrance and pray to it'. Since such actions are outside what is commanded in Scripture, we have no assurance that the Eucharist is valid outside of the context of the Mass. It is therefore our custom to consume any remaining host and wine, then purify the sacred vessels.

Because Scripture is not Clear, neither are our confessions; so it falls under "adiaphora". Not common, but there are LCMS Churches that do have a "Tabernacle", but I have never seen one in an altar, only in the side of the Chancel, or in the Sacristy.

If our Congregation is in error doing what we do, we are erring on the side of Caution.

Our Pastors will always commune the homebound and infirm when requested, private confession at Church during scheduled hours, and anywhere else at other times.

With Covid lock-downs, Pastor was not always allowed to go to hospitals and extended care residences, and when they are, they must be vaccinated and have frequent tests; but one of our local pastors was vaccinated early, and has been doing chaplain duty when allowed.
I am aware of the above, but thanks for expounding on the LCMS/LCC position for the thread. :)
BTW, the Augsburg Confession defines 3 sacraments; Baptism, Eucharist, and Confession and Absolution. It depends on the definition. While the Lutheran Church still administers all 7 of the sacramental acts defined as sacraments in the Catholic Church, because we have a more rigid definition we list only 2 (3).
That's pretty much the standard Lutheran point of view, for Confessional and non-Confessional.

Upvote 0