Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
The Spirit is given to all who BELIEVE. Jn7:39 says, "Those who believed in Jesus were to receive the Spirit."

The Spirit is given AFTER waterbaptism, in Acts2:38.

The Spirit is given BEFORE waterbaptism in Acts 10:47.

Eph1:13 says that the SEAL of the Holy Spirit, is affixed upon belief.

Upvote 0

The Midge

Towel Bearer
Jun 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
✟11,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would gues that we recieve the Spirit on Confession and continue to receive it in instalments. There may be special times that we receive more of the Spirit than others such as Baptism and times when the Spirit is poured out in a special way as in a Charismatic sense.
Spirit being Spirit is im possible to quantify. I think the key to spirituality is being aware of the Holy Spirit that is God.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I chose the 2nd option although I would like to clarify that my belief about the efficacy of the indwelling is that His presence in us makes us a new creation and that we not only can believe but that we WILL believe.

God bless

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There is no doubt that the spirit of Christ is essential for salvation:

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Rom 8:9)

There is scripture to indicate that there are varying degrees of infilling beyond salvation, some for specific reasons, and I believe that one receives more as one matures in faith. More is not quite the right word, as the Holy Spirit is not a quantifiable presence, so I trust that it isn't viewed as such. I believe that Holy Spirit Himself is multi-facteted as to His attributes and manifestations, and not just a monolithic Presence.

Baptism in the Holy Spirit is referred to several times in scripture, and while there is no requirement that it be subsequent to salvation (it can be simultaneous with salvation), scripture shows that it often is. However, it should not be viewed as a reason to stratify believers. The Baptism in the Holy Spirit, I believe, is an equipping for ministry not just of the clerical or pastoral sort, but for that which God has called an individual believer to, in terms of their function in the Body of Christ. As to whether or not one has received this Baptism in the Holy Spirit, ultimately that is between the believer and God. I believe that those who seek a greater infilling of the Holy Spirit will receive such from God, and it will be more of a perceived need in the heart of that believer, than an outward requirement sought by others.

Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ezek 37 is excellent proof that without the Spirit of God to make us alive, we are dead in our sins, utterly incapable of life, completely unable to obey the gospel call to turn to Christ in repentance.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.