Virginia
✟151,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We mourn with the families of loved ones lost on 9/11. I specifically recall the sense of unity all Americans felt for weeks following the tragic day. I personally mourn the passing of Americans' willingness to unite as politics have grown more polarized and tribal. This loss of unity may indirectly be the greatest achievement of the terrorists. After Bush administration lied about WMDs to justify invading Iraq, America's trust in government has plummeted. It seems to get progressively worse as time goes by. It is so divisive in America we elected a president who talked about his own constituents, his own American political opponents, exactly the same way he spoke about the terrorists. Unfortunately, America now faces its own crop of emboldened terrorists inspired by his self-serving rhetoric. I believe America can overcome this obstacle to growth, progress and unity as we've always managed to do in the past. But it will take a conscious effort on the part of each American to realize our strength has always been our unity. I would like to see my grandkids enjoy the freedoms our nation has provided the generations before. I trust God and praise Him and the blessings He has provided us.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
United Kingdom
✟226,788.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This YouTube channel has a lot of interviews with people telling their stories from the day, including emergency workers, people who worked in the buildings, onlookers and family members.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Q1043NewYork/videos

There may be strong language in some videos.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I specifically recall the sense of unity all Americans felt for weeks following the tragic day

This was me as well,
I can remember that being the first time in my life that our country felt so "united". Sadly and tragically, it took an event like this that brought that feeling. You could walk into stores, etc and just "feel" it. We were all connected by that. It was something. 20 years later and we are so far removed from that feeling with all the division about so many different things and that's tragic in a sense as well.

My thoughts and sincere prayers go out to all the families and friends who have suffered great loss.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I was in Vancouver at the time (away from my hometown). IT was a very weird feeling; the thought that something that big happenned in THAT big and prominent a town.

I remember the Vancouver Sun had a SPECIAL news report released around 2 or 3pm that afternoon. I remember a lot of places reaching out and thinking about ways to help. I remember seeing the helpers.

Mr Roger's mom told him to always look for helpers and I had just recently heard that little quote. That made it not so bad. But I think what helped the most is not having access to a TV for a couple days.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
From my journal.

Today is the anniversary of the most heinous crime in our country’s history. As I sit in sorrow nursing my own hurt, I join others who mourn for loved ones whose lives were cut short unexpectedly. Wives who’ll never see their husbands. Men who’ve lost their better half. Children who will never know mothers and fathers. Parents, siblings, friends, and co-workers. Lives shattered and transformed in the blink of an eye.

For them I offer this prayer:

May Adonai bless and keep you
May He make His face shine upon you
And be gracious to you
May Adonai lift up your countenance
And grant you peace

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was in the 5th grade when 9/11 happened. It was on a Tuesday I believe. I was getting ready to head to the bus stop for school when I noticed my mother watching the news. I remember thinking to myself "wow.. that pilot was a moron for crashing into that building". When suddenly another plane hit the other tower. My mother shouted "it's terrorists!" and I said "what is a terrorist?" Before I could receive an answer I heard the school bus coming so I had to dart out of the house as quickly as possible. In the school bus it didn't seem like anyone else knew what was going on. I told them about a plane hitting a huge skyscraper.. and most of my friends thought it was amusing and funny.

Throughout the school day I remember the television being on. Most of the students found the news exciting and were hoping we'd be let out of class early because of it. (We were finally let home a few hours early). I do remember the second building was just starting to crumble down when my teacher was like "ok.. I've had enough of this" and turned off the TV. She not even looking at the TV when she turned it off unaware of the dramatic new events being taken place.

Some people get mad when I share my story of myself and other kids my age not being traumatized by the events and finding it amusing and funny at worst. That's just what I witnessed.. I roll my eyes when I see some 9/11 films where the children are portrayed as so innocent and naïve and deeply moved by the attacks. Sometimes holding a teddy bear and whatnot.. Maybe some were like that.. but that's not how most kids really behave.

When we got home.. me and my friends were laughing about it.. and making jokes that planes would hit our homes.. although I will say at this point my mood started to change somewhat. I was worried about something possibly happening to me and people I knew. When I got back to my house I again saw my mother (now with my father) watching the news on TV. They showed people in the middle east actually celebrating what happened. This shocked me. My mind started taking this event more seriously.. and I do remember thinking.. laugh now.. we'll use our military's might to crush the people responsible for this attack. Instead of finding the story amusing.. I started becoming angry about it.

Later on I remember going to bed.. no commercial planes were allowed to fly at this time.. so when I heard aircraft I knew it had to be the military.. that's how my 9/11 day ended.. drifting off to slumber with the sounds of military jets flying around.

Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I was pulling into my office parking lot and heard on the radio that a plane had crashed into the one of the twin towers. Lacking any other info, I thought it was a freak accident involving a small private plane. When I got inside, I found out that a jetliner had hit the building. Obviously, this was very, very bad. One of the staff brought in an old B & W portable TV. Watching the news reports was all we did. Seeing the other tower get hit, and both towers going down soon after was surreal. Saying we all were in a state of shock doesn’t come close to describe what we were feeling.

This was the 2nd of those momentous days that us aging Baby Boomers will always remember in detail. The first was the JFK assassination, when I was in 7th grade.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
BTW: If anyone remembers, there were rumors right after the attack that gas would be unavailable, and if you could find it, the price would be sky high. I was pretty low already. When I left work, the station close to my office where I usually fill up had a line of cars extending down the entire block waiting to get to a pump. Other stations on the way home were the same. One already had a NO GAS sign out. I was getting very worried. But then I remembered a car wash a couple of miles from home had gas pumps in the the back. There was no signage that they also sold gas. So with the needle on Empty, I pulled in and drove around to the back. Not a single car getting gas. I filled the tank (at the usual price) and decided to get a car wash. Sometimes doing mundane chores like these is comforting when the world seems to be falling apart. It’s reassurance that life goes on. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0