• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

In one of my Psychology courses today we discussed Martin Luther...

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by Matt Faith, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Matt Faith

Matt Faith Regular Member

+11
    Baptist
    Single
    And my professor said the he hated Jewish people and said that he believed if you wife isn't pleasing you sexually, you should go outside the marriage for satisfaction. Is this true? I was just surprised because I never knew this, its kind of unsettling....

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. KEPLER

KEPLER Crux sola est nostra theologia

+214
    Lutheran
    Married
    Mr. Bizkit,

There is no denying that Luther said unkind things about Jewish people. While there is no excusing what he said, his statements must be put in their historical context, to wit:

1) Luther wasn't the only person saying bad things about the Jews; it was pretty much common practice.

2) Luther's comments about the Jews are not the worst comments made about them. Erasmus of Rotterdam (the noted Humanist scholar, and Luther's verbal sparring partner in the debate over the freedom of the will) said far worse things about them.

3) Luther did not dislike Jewish people insofar as they were people; he had many friends and colleagues who had been born into the Jewish faith, but had converted to Christianity. For Luther, it's not a racial or ethnic thing, it's a religious thing, and only a religious thing.

4) Luther was quite old when he wrote the things he wrote. It is pretty evident from his other writings (along with these) that his mental faculties had lapsed a great deal.

Having said all of that, from our modern sensibilities, Luther still ought not have said what he said. His statements are detestable.

As for looking outside of marriage for sexual satisfaction, this is a canard which is repeated over and over again. It's based on a statement which is taken out of context, and which must be deliberately misread in order for people to make it say what it quite clearly does not say.

Luther is known for penchant for overstating a case in order to make his point. The greatest example of this was his statement to his friend Philip Melanchthon. Melanchthon was a timid man, who worried a lot. Today we would probably prescribe him some SSRIs. He worried constantly that he had sinned too much, or that he had committed so great a sin that God wouldn't forgive him. Luther said to him, "When you sin, SIN BOLDLY, and then go boldly to the cross and confess it." This statement, more than any other, is taken out of context for Luther --- usually by Southern Baptists.

It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to see that Luther is NOT - in fact - encouraging Philip to sin, but that he is reminding him that there is no power greater than God's grace demonstrated in the cross of Christ. To fear that God can't or won't forgive is to insult God.

As for studying Luther in a psychology class... Well, there is ample evidence that Luther was probably what we call today a 'Manic depressive.' If the instructor is going that route, just bear in mind that there is no correlation between manic depression and insanity or psychosis. Perfectly sane and brilliant people can suffer from this disorder.

Cheers,

Kepler

3. doulos_tou_kuriou

doulos_tou_kuriou Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz

+66
    Lutheran
    Married
    Psycho-historians have not been kind to Luther. I personally do not like the process of taking documents to determine things about a person. I wish I could remember now, but I read one such thing on Luther in college that to me is a bit presumptuous.

The above statement says it well. Luther is often taken out of context and out of century in these accusations. Not only was Luther not the only one saying horrible things against the Jewish faith, but it was attacks on the faith and not the ethnicity of Jews. Luther for one thought that Jews remained as they were due to the poor proclamation of the gospel by the church. He figured that once the gospel was freed and preached fully the Jews would naturally convert. When they did not he saw them as an enemy to the faith. Luther wrote horrible things about protestants and Catholics too, but that is overlooked. Only because of the Holocaust is his statements about Jews lifted up (in fact he is quoted I believe at the door to the Holocaust museum, a sign of the gross misconception of his writings). But also because antisemitics used his writings out of context too against Jewish ethnicity.
    Again, it is not excusing his harshness or cruel thoughts, but it's about understanding them in their context more properly. Did he still say horrible things? Yes. Fortunately, Luther is not God nor is he in all things infallible.
    I'm not sure about the outside of marriage reference your professor is getting that from, though it too is probably out of context. Considering that Luther called for marriage of priests to curb reckless "pleasuring" and horrid things being done by priests and monastics at the time due to the celibacy vows it seems that the way the professor put it is likely not accurate.

4. QuiltAngel

QuiltAngel Veteran

+281
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
  5. DaRev

DaRev Well-Known Member

+702
    Lutheran
    Married
    Luther's comments regarding the "Jews" were directed more toward adherents of Judaism and not the Jewish race.

6. lux et lex

lux et lex light and law

+159
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    “If I had to baptize a Jew, I would take him to the bridge of the Elbe, hang a stone around his neck and push him over with the words "I baptize thee in the name of Abraham"" --Martin Luther

Sounds like he didn't want them converting either...

7. DaRev

DaRev Well-Known Member

+702
    Lutheran
    Married
    It might be interesting to know where that quote comes from.

Also, if in Luther's terms, the word 'Jew' refers to an adherent of Judaism, then he wouldn't be referring to a convert to Christianity (in which case they would no longer be "Jews") but to a convert to Judaism.

8. doulos_tou_kuriou

+66
    Lutheran
    Married
    see quiltangel's post regarding Luther and Jews. There is a specific section on quotes of his taken out of context and that is one of them. Reading it alone shows it in a much different light.

9. Warrior for Christ

Warrior for Christ New Member

+0
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Others
    Lutherans don't consider Luther to be a figure on the level of Paul, or the Disciples. What Luther was good for was restoring the Church back to its Biblical roots. Luther's intellectual contribution can be helpful, but nothing he said overrides the Bible. In that Luther did not live a perfect life and sinned, that is something to take into context when one considers his life as a whole.

10. Matt Faith

Matt Faith Regular Member

+11
    Baptist
    Single
    Thanks everybody for the replies. But did he really encourage sex outside of marriage or is that not true?

11. DaRev

DaRev Well-Known Member

+702
    Lutheran
    Married
    No.

12. BigNorsk

BigNorsk Contributor

+755
    Lutheran
    Married
    It's never very surprising to me that amateurs misread Luther. It is a bit surprising, though not very, that such an amateur is teaching a college course using Luther.

The thing you should really note is that the college you are attending doesn't have the best teachers in the world.

Assuming of course that the teacher isn't taken out of context by you. For instance the teacher may be using a series of famous people and making rather outrageous remarks about them in order to stimulate you and the other bumps in your class to actually do some work and study.

Marv

13. Nemo Neem

Nemo Neem 1 John 4:7-12

+31
    Methodist
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    John Wesley suffered with depression and had anger issues; this does not make him any less of a great theologian.

I think Martin Luther is very insightful, and a very interesting person. I wouldn't worry about it.

14. doulos_tou_kuriou

+66
    Lutheran
    Married
  15. reckoner13

reckoner13 Newbie

+1
    Christian
    Married
    Why is the church named after him??? Why not change the name of the church, I don't care that "Others" were saying bad things about "Jews" at the time, that is no excuse for the horrible things Luther wrote.

16. Aibrean

Aibrean Honest. Maybe too Honest.

+313
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    The opponents used the term "Lutheran" as an insult and it stuck. Luther didn't want them called that.

We are all sinners. Never forget.

17. whitetiger1

whitetiger1 Well-Known Member

+53
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Kind of like in Antioch with the believers, they were called Christian as an insult but it stuck and now were Christians :)