In laying upon the foundation of God's saving grace, does Sanctification (holy living) also save?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In laying upon the foundation of God's saving grace, does Sanctification (holy living) also save?

And discuss.

Important Note:
Please provide verses to prove your particular belief. Also provide verses to one or two common objections to your belief (in order to defend it), as well.

May God's love fill you today and may you grow strong in the power of His might (and His hidden knowledge).

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Another Faith vs. Works thread?

People are about proving one side or the other.

Who is truly right?

The key is to find if there are truly any verses in the Bible that say or suggest that Sanctification (holy living) plays a role or part in a believer's salvation (which is complimentary to God's saving grace).

If such verses exist, then they need to be explained from both sides properly using the context and cross references.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Think of the thread as a study on true Sanctification. What is your view of Sanctification and can it be proven from the Bible? Can you give sound Biblical answers to the most common objections to your belief?

Are there any plain words in Scripture that either side appears to be ignoring?
If so, can they explain this with Scripture?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
People are about proving one side or the other.

Who is truly right?

The key is to find if there are truly any verses in the Bible that say or suggest that Sanctification (holy living) plays a role or part in a believer's salvation (which is complimentary to God's saving grace).

If such verses exist, then they need to be explained from both sides properly using the context and cross references.

You are interpreting Sanctification as Holy Living. Do you have a scripture for that? I may have found one:

2 Chronicles 31:18
and to all who were written in the genealogy—their little ones and their wives, their sons and daughters, the whole company of them—for in their faithfulness they sanctified themselves in holiness.

I've always been taught that justification was the cleansing of all our past sin at salvation, and sanctification is a life-time process; therefore present and future. But the scriptures I find in the NT are all past tense and happened at the beginning along with justification. I know there is a growing process, I just don't know if that is what God meant by "sanctification."

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

Hebrews 10:29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

In the OT, it was some kind of ritual, but I don't know what, outside probably washing with water. The priests had to sanctify themselves before entering the Most Holy Place.

2 Chronicles 5:11
And it came to pass when the priests came out of the Most Holy Place (for all the priests who were present had sanctified themselves, without keeping to their divisions),

2 Chronicles 29:34
But the priests were too few, so that they could not skin all the burnt offerings; therefore their brethren the Levites helped them until the work was ended and until the other priests had sanctified themselves, for the Levites were more diligent in sanctifying themselves than the priests.

2 Chronicles 30:8
Now do not be stiff-necked, as your fathers were, but yield yourselves to the Lord; and enter His sanctuary, which He has sanctified forever, and serve the Lord your God, that the fierceness of His wrath may turn away from you.

2 Chronicles 30:15
Then they slaughtered the Passover lambs on the fourteenth day of the second month. The priests and the Levites were ashamed, and sanctified themselves, and brought the burnt offerings to the house of the Lord.

2 Chronicles 30:17
For there were many in the assembly who had not sanctified themselves; therefore the Levites had charge of the slaughter of the Passover lambs for everyone who was not clean, to sanctify them to the Lord.

What does this mean, besides possibly made holy?

Jeremiah 1:5
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is the sanctification which occurs when our Father draws someone to Jesus (John 6:24) and the person trusts in Christ (Ephesians 1:12). The person is made holy, by becoming a child of God > this is forever. In the process of coming to trust in Jesus a person is "joined to the Lord" and becomes "one spirit with Him" (1 Corinthians 6:17); this produces a major change in the person, and connects a person by God's almighty power to God Himself so the person can not get away.

But, when the person first becomes joined to God's Spirit, still the person is not perfectly like how Jesus is holy.

So then there is the process of sanctification which changes a person to become perfected in God's own love (1 John 4:17), how God's own love in us (Romans 5:5) cures our nature so we are ready to pass judgment and spend eternity with Jesus and one another as God's family.

Both the initial and following progressive sanctification are needed, then. God brings a soul to Christ, then God finishes what He has begun. There are reconciliation and forgiveness with being joined to the LORD, then there is correction (Hebrews 12:4-11) bringing love's perfection (1 John 4:17). And Hebrews 12:8 is very clear how if a person does not have this correction, then the person is not a child of God. Because what God begins He also succeeds in finishing > Philippians 1:6 >

So, the work of sanctification, first of all, is done by God. He works in our willing and our doing > Philippians 2:13, in the ruling of His peace in our hearts (Colossians 3:15) and there is the pain of correction > Hebrews 12:4-11 < the surgery needed.

So, then - - are there works which are needed, in order to have this sanctification?

Trusting in Jesus is needed in order to get started (Ephesians 1:12).

And Hebrews 12:4-11 says we need to submit to our Father and His correction. And if someone does not have God's correction, the person is not God's child. So, yes submitting to God's correction is essential. It is included in the process. But correction means how God changes us so we "become partakers of His holiness", and His correction produces "the peaceable fruit of righteousness" < Hebrews 12:4-11. So, it is essential to do the work of submitting to how God in us corrects us to become holy the way His love makes us holy in His love's "peaceable fruit of righteousness".

Also, James clearly does say we need to do works, or else our faith is dead > James chapter two.

But, here, James gives three examples of works. These are works of personally loving God and people. So, I see how James means we need to exercise in works of love so we become stronger in God's love; and this is essential, how we grow and get stronger in God's love in our nature . . . so we are ready to be God's way with Him for all eternity.

Now, Jason, there are people who neither argue for this nor against it. But they argue one way or the other, saying no works are necessary, or that certain copy-cat works are needed. But neither says anything about doing works which help us to "in this world" (1 John 4:17) become perfected by God's love in our nature. But they can be fighting, even, only about what are outward works. So, their arguing is not relevant to what I mean, here.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
2 Peter 1

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
John 3 16 - 18
those who belief are saved, those who do not believe are condemned.
and
the repentant thief, how much of a sanctified life did he have?

"Remember me when you come into your Kingdom." How did the thief know that Christ's Kingdom was not of this world? They were both dying! Was Jesus preaching on the cross to them? No. So obviously he knew this before he got caught? Was it a current crime, or an old crime? Don't you know he may already have been baptized?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sanctify:

John 17:17
"Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth."

Ephesians 5:25-27
25 "...even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish."

"Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you." (John 15:3).

"Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit...". (1 Peter 1:22).

"Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word."
(Psalms 119:9)

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

“But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.” (1 John 2:5).​

Sanctify & Sanctified:

John 17:19
"And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth."

1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God." (1 Peter 4:1-2).

“He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” (1 John 2:6).

"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps." (1 Peter 2:21).​

Sanctification:

1 Thessalonians 4:3
"For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:"

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God." (2 Corinthians 7:1).

"For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness." (1 Thessalonians 4:7).

"So all people who have this confidence in Christ keep themselves pure, as Christ is pure." (1 John 3:3 GW).

"Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also." Matthew 23:26).

"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh." (Luke 6:45).

"Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God." (Matthew 5:8).

Sanctification & Sanctified:

1 Thessalonians 4:4
"That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;"

2 Timothy 2:21
If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

7 "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body." (2 Corinthians 4:7-10).

16 "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are."
(1 Corinthians 3:16-17).​

I hope this study on Sanctification helps someone today.

May God bless you all.
And please be well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Sanctify:

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish."

"Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit...". (1 Peter 1:22).

"Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word."

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

“But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.” (1 John 2:5).​

Sanctify & Sanctified:

"And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth."

1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God." (1 Peter 4:1-2).

“He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” (1 John 2:6).

"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps." (1 Peter 2:21).​

Sanctification:

"For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:"

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God." (2 Corinthians 7:1).

"For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness." (1 Thessalonians 4:7).

"So all people who have this confidence in Christ keep themselves pure, as Christ is pure." (1 John 3:3 GW).

"Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also." Matthew 23:26).

"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh." (Luke 6:45).

Sanctification & Sanctified:

1 Thessalonians 4:4
"That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;"

2 Timothy 2:21
If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

7 "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body." (2 Corinthians 4:7-10).

16 "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are."
(1 Corinthians 3:16-17).​

I hope this study on Sanctification helps someone today.

May God bless you all.
And please be well.

This is great. What was stumping me was the past tense used in verses, such as were sanctified, and was sanctified. But, it could just be that He who started a good work in you will finish it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is great. What was stumping me was the past tense used in verses, such as were sanctified, and was sanctified. But, it could just be that He who started a good work in you will finish it.

Thank you.
I am glad my study is helpful for you.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sanctify:

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish."

In John 17:17, Jesus essentially says to the Father,
""Make them holy" (i.e. Sanctify) with your truth, for your Word is truth."

Jesus is saying to the Father that His Word (i.e. God's Word) can make His people holy in conduct (See 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Ephesians 5:25-27 is saying Christ gave Himself for the church that He might cleanse it or "Make it holy" by the washing of the Water of the Word (i.e. Scripture). Jesus does this so as to present to Himself a church that is holy and without spot, and blemish; This is similiar to what Titus says. For Titus 2:14 says, "Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works."

Jesus said to the Pharisees,

"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God" (John 8:47).

So hearing God's Word or not determines if one is even of God.

Jesus also says,

"He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day." (John 12:48).

Jesus says he that receives not his words will be judged by the very words that He had spoken on the last day (Judgment). For example: If a person rejects Matthew 6:15, or Matthew 5:28-30, or Matthew 5:22, then those very words will judge (condemn) that person on the last day.

In addition, John says,

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." (1 John 2:4).

"He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life." (1 John 5:12).

"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him." (1 John 2:5).

In other words, we cannot have life (eternal life) without Jesus, and the way we can have an assurance in knowing if we truly do know Him is if we find that we are keeping His Word or Commandments.

To put it to you another way, Sanctification involving God's Word (Scripture) and or His commands is an essential step or stage in the salvation process.

James says,
21 "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."
(James 1:21-22).

Jesus says,
"...but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:17).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sanctify & Sanctified:

"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps." (1 Peter 2:21).

In John 17:19, we see Jesus say that He sanctifies Himself so also that we (believers) might also sanctify ourselves.

1 John 1:7 says,
"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

So if we walk in the light (or righteousness of Christ), then the saving blood of Jesus Christ will cleanse us from all sin (Which is salvation).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sanctification:

1 Thessalonians 4:3 says,
"For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication."

The New Living Translation says,
"God's will is for you to be holy, so stay away from all sexual sin." (1 Thessalonians 4:3 NLT).

In Matthew 7:21, Jesus says,
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

Jesus says not everyone who says Lord, Lord will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but he that does the will of the Father.

So according to Scripture: What is the will of the Father or the will of God again?

1 Thessalonians 4:3 says God's will is for you to be holy (or it is our sanctification).

For without...holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14).

For they that are pure in heart will see God (Matthew 5:8).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In addition, Paul says if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of Godliness, they are proud and know nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

And James says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble (James 4:6).

Titus 1:16 says you can deny God by a lack of works.

Hebrews 5:9 says that Jesus is the author of salvation to all those who obey Him.

1 Corinthians 16:22 says,
"If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha."

Yet, Jesus says,
"If you love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15).

Philippians 4:3 says,

"And I entreat you also, true yokefellow, help those women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other of my fellow laborers, whose names are in the book of life."​

In this verse, we understand that the laborers in Christ (not those believers who do not labor) are the type of saints that have their names written in the book of life. This is important to understand because God's Word says elsewhere,

"His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." (Matthew 25:23).

But what of the unprofitable servant?
Well, the Bible says,

"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 25:30).

Revelation 3:5 says,

"He that overcomes, the same shall be clothed in white clothing; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels"​

In this verse we understand that person who overcomes, the Lord will not be blot out his name from the book of life. Jesus will confess his name before His Father and before His angels.

But is there a scenario where Jesus will not confess a person's name before the Father? Yes, Jesus also says,

"Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." (Mark 8:38).

This is in context to Jesus also saying, "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" (Mark 8:35-36).

Also, we understand from Revelation 3:5 that he that overcomes shall be clothed in white clothing, too. What does Scripture say about this?

Revelation 19:8 says,
"And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints."

Here in this verse we see that the fine linen that is on the saints represents the righteousness of the saints.

What is one way the Bible describes righteousness?

"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous" (1 John 3:7).

So doing righteousness makes one righteous according to John.

Now, why is it important to know that the "bride" (Revelation 19:7) has on fine linen that represents the righteousness of the saints? (Revelation 19:8). Well, the Parable of the Wedding Banquet tells us that those who do not have on a wedding garment (Which is a picture of the righteousness of the saints) will be cast into outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

12 "And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 22:12-13).

Gnashing of teeth is what wolves do.

See this image here by clicking on the following spoiler button:

Anyways, in conclusion so far:
It is very clear that Sanctification (holy living) is a necessary part of salvation.

Reactions: Jay83x
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." (1 John 3:10).

"... ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him." (1 John 2:29).

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have seen a number of people debating one verse over another, or the correct Interpretation of a verse and how it applies to the Christian and their walk, whether or not being Sanctified is in fact a Process as some believe it is or not.

Maybe instead of playing the my verse is better than your verse game, because that's only comparing understandings of thoughts, beliefs, prejudices, assumptions, suppositions, conjectures, and doctrines.

Nothing ever really get's settled, and no one ever, ever seems to ever see the other side as a viable understanding, which means, both sides go off believing they both have the correct understanding, this cannot be so because, both sides cannot be correct when their opinions are diametrically opposed.

Your building from the outside in rather than from the inside out.

Your attempting to define your beliefs on what you believe Sanctification is, by using verses which back up your proposed position.

You cannot use Scripture verses to Define a word, the words have their own Definitions, that is why they are used where and when they are used they have meaning, they Define what is being said by what the word used is, you don't Define the word by the Scripture Verse it is used in.

One of those proposed positions is, there is a Sanctification Process.
Is there Scripture which clearly states, Sanctification is a Process?

Therefore my suggestion is, stop the jousting with verses to ascertain who's verse is ultimately the correctest one because that has been taking place for a very long time, and now in this day and age it has become your turn.

This then is my suggestion, look at the Definitions of the words which pertain to a proper Christian walk, and Sanctification.

The thought being, this word has a Definition, Definitions are not subject to Interpretation, they mean what they mean, without controversy. Following is an example of my suggestion.

How can we understand what Sanctification means and how it pertains to the Christian and his walk, if we do not or have not taken into account what the words themselves truly mean in relation to the way the words were used in Scripture, if we do not know what the true Definitions of the words used in the Bible actually are, then our beliefs are not what God intended when He had the Bible written.

The Bible are Gods words to us Christians, we should at least acquaint ourselves with what He meant by the words He used.
These words were written in both Hebrew and Greek, they have many shades of meaning in them, therefore we can't just say, Sanctification is HOLY LIVING and apply that definition to ever use in the Bible, we would end up believing falsehood.

Here are the correct Definitions for these words.

1) Sanctify
2) Sanctified
3) Sanctification

1) SANCTIFY: Is used in 6 verses in the New Testament, every use is of the same Definition from the Strong's Concordance # G37

GREEK - SANCTIFY:
G37
ἁγιάζω
hagiazō
hag-ee-ad'-zo
From G40; to make holy, that is, (ceremonially) purify or consecrate; (mentally) to venerate: - hallow, be holy, sanctify.

G40
ἅγιος
hagios
hag'-ee-os
From ἅγος hagos (an awful thing) compare G53, [H2282]; sacred (physically pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially consecrated): - (most) holy (one, thing), saint.

Notice this one also uses the Hebrew word and Definition, I will place it last in the list of Definitions.

G53
ἁγνός
hagnos
hag-nos'
From the same as G40; properly clean, that is, (figuratively) innocent, modest, perfect: - chaste, clean, pure.

HEBREW - SANCTIFY:
H2282
חָג חַג
chag châg
khag, khawg
A festival, or a victim therefor: - (solemn) feast (day), sacrifice, solemnity.

2) SANCTIFIED: Is used in 15 verses in the New Testament, every use is of the same Definition from the Strong's Concordance # G37, therefore everything is the same as above for SANCTIFY.

3) SANCTIFICATION: Is used in 5 verses in the New Testament, every use is of the same Definition from the Strong's Concordance # G38.
After # G38 the word Sanctification is given, it reverts back to the Definition for SANCTIFY above

GREEK - SANCTIFICATION:
G38
ἁγιασμός
hagiasmos
hag-ee-as-mos'
From G37; properly purification, that is, (the state) purity; concretely (by Hebraism) a purifier: - holiness, sanctification.

For a further clarification on the words, I went to the Old Testament Hebrew.

1) Sanctify
2) Sanctified
3) Sanctification - - - DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE OLD TESTAMENT.

1) SANCTIFY: Is used in 59 verses in the Old Testament, every use is of the same Definition from the Strong's Concordance # H6942

1) HEBREW - SANCTIFY:
H6942
קָדַשׁ
qâdash
kaw-dash'
A primitive root; to be (causatively make, pronounce or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally): - appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, defile, hallow, (be, keep) holy (-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify (-ied one, self), X wholly.

2) SANCTIFIED: Is used in 43 verses in the Old Testament, every use is of the same Definition from the Strong's Concordance # H6942 therefore everything is the same as above for SANCTIFY
Again, the word SANCTIFICATION is not used in the Old Testament.

Therefore Sanctification does not Save, nor is Sanctification a Process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0