Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
That’s mysticism.
This too?

And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them. - Acts 19:11-12

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This too?

And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them. - Acts 19:11-12
Not if your name is Paul, and you are an apostle. If that’s the case, then you are good to go.

But, that’s not what you said has happened.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Not if your name is Paul, and you are an apostle. If that’s the case, then you are good to go.

But, that’s not what you said has happened.
Puts me in mind of...

Then said he unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery? for they say, the Lord seeth us not; the Lord hath forsaken the earth. - Ezekiel 8:12

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Puts me in mind of...

Then said he unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery? for they say, the Lord seeth us not; the Lord hath forsaken the earth. - Ezekiel 8:12
And the relevance as it pertains to my post?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
And the relevance as it pertains to my post?
I am a supporter of the bible broadcasting network and am also supporting a niece in going to Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. I am also very active in the media ministry at work at have shared the gospel with many. One guy, after reading one of the books I gave him, wanted to get saved, but not in the Pentecostal Holiness church that I attended. He explained to me that he was brought up Baptist and would rather go to a Baptist church.

A guy I worked with is a Calvinistic Baptist by the name of Ray and I looked him up. Ray said they had a Franklin Graham testimonial film that Sunday night and there I brought my friend. After the film he went tearfully up... But there was no altar! They took him to a room, in which I followed, and then proceeded to talk him out of it! I am like... The man is ready to get saved! We then prayed the sinners prayer and my friend got saved.

After that I have little to do with the Reformed church. Not that they aren’t saved, but we just can’t take each other. Too much disbelief! Like the Ezekiel elders quoted some time ago. Charity... “Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.” - 1 Corinthians 13:7. And I am one to stand in faith with people, encouraging them along the way.

• Agree
Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am a supporter of the bible broadcasting network and am also supporting a niece in going to Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. I am also very active in the media ministry at work at have shared the gospel with many. One guy, after reading one of the books I gave him, wanted to get saved, but not in the Pentecostal Holiness church that I attended. He explained to me that he was brought up Baptist and would rather go to a Baptist church.

A guy I worked with is a Calvinistic Baptist by the name of Ray and I looked him up. Ray said they had a Franklin Graham testimonial film that Sunday night and there I brought my friend. After the film he went tearfully up... But there was no altar! They took him to a room, in which I followed, and then proceeded to talk him out of it! I am like... The man is ready to get saved! We then prayed the sinners prayer and my friend got saved.

After that I have little to do with the Reformed church. Not that they aren’t saved, but we just can’t take each other. Too much disbelief! Like the Ezekiel elders quoted some time ago. Charity... “Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.” - 1 Corinthians 13:7. And I am one to stand in faith with people, encouraging them along the way.

And, furthermore, I believe simple faith in Jesus Christ is all that is required to be saved, as illustrated in the George Clark Rankin testimony. This testimony is dear to me as I received it in similar methods....

After we went home I tossed on the bed before going to sleep and wondered why God did not do for me what he had done for mother and what he was doing in that meeting for those young people at the altar. I could not understand it. But I resolved to keep on trying, and so dropped off to sleep. The next day I had about the same experience and at night saw no change in my condition. And so for several nights I repeated the same distressing experience. The meeting took on such interest that a day service was adopted along with the night exercises, and we attended that also. And one morning while I bowed at the altar in a very disturbed state of mind Brother Tyson, a good local preacher and the father of Rev. J. F. Tyson, now of the Central Conference, sat down by me and, putting his hand on my shoulder, said to me: "Now I want you to sit up awhile and let's talk this matter over quietly. I am sure that you are in earnest, for you have been coming to this altar night after night for several days. I want to ask you a few simple questions." And the following questions were asked and answered:

"My son, do you not love God?"

"I cannot remember when I did not love him."

"Do you believe on his Son, Jesus Christ?"

"I have always believed on Christ. My mother taught me that from my earliest recollection."

"Do you accept him as your Savior?"

"I certainly do, and have always done so."

"Can you think of any sin that is between you and the Savior?"

"No, sir; for I have never committed any bad sins."

"Do you love everybody?"

"Well, I love nearly everybody, but I have no ill-will toward any one. An old man did me a wrong not long ago and I acted ugly toward him, but I do not care to injure him."

"Can you forgive him?"

"Yes, if he wanted me to."

"But, down in your heart, can you wish him well?"

"Yes, sir; I can do that."

"Well, now let me say to you that if you love God, if you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior from sin and if you love your fellowmen and intend by God's help to lead a religious life, that's all there is to religion. In fact, that is all I know about it."

Then he repeated several passages of Scriptures to me proving his assertions. I thought a moment and said to him: "But I do not feel like these young people who have been getting religion night after night. I cannot get happy like them. I do not feel like shouting."

The good man looked at me and smiled and said: "Ah, that's your trouble. You have been trying to feel like them. Now you are not them; you are yourself. You have your own quiet disposition and you are not turned like them. They are excitable and blustery like they are. They give way to their feelings. That's all right, but feeling is not religion. Religion is faith and life. If you have violent feeling with it, all good and well, but if you have faith and not much feeling, why the feeling will take care of itself. To love God and accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, turning away from all sin, and living a godly life, is the substance of true religion."

That was new to me, yet it had been my state of mind from childhood. For I remembered that away back in my early life, when the old preacher held services in my grandmother's house one day and opened the door of the Church, I went forward and gave him my hand. He was to receive me into full membership at the end of six months' probation, but he let it pass out of his mind and failed to attend to it.

As I sat there that morning listening to the earnest exhortation of the good man my tears ceased, my distress left me, light broke in upon my mind, my heart grew joyous, and before I knew just what I was doing I was going all around shaking hands with everybody, and my confusion and darkness disappeared and a great burden rolled off my spirit. I felt exactly like I did when I was a little boy around my mother's knee when she told of Jesus and God and Heaven. It made my heart thrill then, and the same old experience returned to me in that old country Church that beautiful September morning down in old North Georgia.

I at once gave my name to the preacher for membership in the Church, and the following Sunday morning, along with many others, he received me into full membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. It was one of the most delightful days in my recollection. It was the third Sunday in September, 1866, and those Church vows became a living principle in my heart and life. During these forty-five long years, with their alternations of sunshine and shadow, daylight and darkness, success and failure, rejoicing and weeping, fears within and fightings without, I have never ceased to thank God for that autumnal day in the long ago when my name was registered in the Lamb's Book of Life. - The Life of George Clark Rankin

• Winner
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

I don’t know what that has to do with either post.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And, furthermore, I believe simple faith in Jesus Christ is all that is required to be saved, as illustrated in the George Clark Rankin testimony.
Shouldn’t scripture inform you?

• Agree
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Where did He ask us to end our prayers that way?

John 14:13-14

"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. "If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

John 14:14

"If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

John 16:24

"Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.

John 14:13

"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

John 15:16

"You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.

John 16:23-24

"In that day you will not question Me about anything Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you. "Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.

• Winner
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
John 14:13-14

"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. "If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

John 14:14

"If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

John 16:24

"Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.

John 15:16

"You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.

John 16:23-24

"In that day you will not question Me about anything Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you. "Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.
Nothing about ending prayers in His name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I do get concerned if I try to move on without it, even a little fearful. Although I couldn't tell you why the fear exactly. Same goes for prayers of thanks for meals. I usually forget til the middle of the meal and will not finish without it. weird you might say, lol.
Praying at a meal is really a good habit to have. It's serves as an important reminder of God's provision and mercy and to pause for a moment to just forget the world's cares and focus on Him.

When I'm at a Christian''s home for a meal and they sit down and just start eating without any prayer at all, it just feels shallow and selfish. I can't speak to what their prayer life is like aside from meals, but it is concerning to me.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is so embedded in me that it makes me worry for you. No pressure, just saying.
If I pray directly to Jesus, as I often do, then it doesn't really seem necessary to include. There's nothing to worry about, though. I guess you probably feel the same way I do when a supposedly Christian family says no prayer at all before a meal. That just feels wrong and worries me. But you can't really say where a person is at spiritually from just that.

I almost never pray out loud in public. In fact I've been requested to pray out loud by people at church and I said no. The reason is, my prayers are almost never just general "Keep everyone in good health, give our leaders wisdom, etc, etc " My prayer are deeply personal and very specific - things that can't even be shared with everyone. So I struggle to still pray an authentic prayer and keep it general enough for public praying. When the parents of a family don't pray before eating, I wonder if it's simply because I'm there and they feel uncomfortable being that vulnerable in my presence. Perhaps they pray at their children's bedsides and those prayers are very deep and beautiful. We just can't say really.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So what happens if you say “in Jesus’ name”, and it’s not His will?
Then he won't do what you are asking for, is that the right answer? You are so funny hammster.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Praying at a meal is really a good habit to have. It's serves as an important reminder of God's provision and mercy and to pause for a moment to just forget the world's cares and focus on Him.

When I'm at a Christian''s home for a meal and they sit down and just start eating without any prayer at all, it just feels shallow and selfish. I can't speak to what their prayer life is like aside from meals, but it is concerning to me.
You know what I do in that case? I bow my head and say a silent prayer and usually they will stop eating and you can offer a verbal prayer, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If I pray directly to Jesus, as I often do, then it doesn't really seem necessary to include. There's nothing to worry about, though. I guess you probably feel the same way I do when a supposedly Christian family says no prayer at all before a meal. That just feels wrong and worries me. But you can't really say where a person is at spiritually from just that.

I almost never pray out loud in public. In fact I've been requested to pray out loud by people at church and I said no. The reason is, my prayers are almost never just general "Keep everyone in good health, give our leaders wisdom, etc, etc " My prayer are deeply personal and very specific - things that can't even be shared with everyone. So I struggle to still pray an authentic prayer and keep it general enough for public praying. When the parents of a family don't pray before eating, I wonder if it's simply because I'm there and they feel uncomfortable being that vulnerable in my presence. Perhaps they pray at their children's bedsides and those prayers are very deep and beautiful. We just can't say really.
I usually don't pray to Jesus because if you believe the scripture then how can you pray to Jesus and still pray in Jesus name? A few times I have in like a momentary short prayer to Jesus but.....

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You know what I do in that case? I bow my head and say a silent prayer and usually they will stop eating and you can offer a verbal prayer, etc.
That's true. I usually feel kind of self-conscious about being the only one praying. Sometimes I bow my head and say a brief prayer silently, but it's probably so brief they don't even notice.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I usually don't pray to Jesus because if you believe the scripture then how can you pray to Jesus and still pray in Jesus name? A few times I have in like a momentary short prayer to Jesus but.....
I believe there are a few examples of people in the New Testament praying to Jesus. Stephen comes to mind... I'm not sure if there are others.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
" believe there are a few examples of people in the New Testament praying to Jesus. Stephen comes to mind... I'm not sure if there are others. "

I tried to google that but it didn't answer as I guess I am using the wrong words. Its hard to believe there would be so few in the bible that used that.::

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Then he won't do what you are asking for, is that the right answer? You are so funny hammster.
I don’t think you’ve thought this through. You posted all these verses saying that you must pray in Jesus name. If He doesn’t answer them all, are you really praying in His name?

Upvote 0