Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Come on you two, this thread just started and you are already throwing barbs.
I didn't start it to see who is naughty and who is nice. Not sure about that word notty or knotty, or, lol

Ask Santa he would know :tutu:

• Haha
Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If you begin to believe that, you are climbing into a box of Legalism.
I don't care. I just want to please God and he asked that we end our prayers with that and I would do anything I can to please him.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
When you set up a Law for your self then, you will break it because we are human and that is how we are, it's like making a Vow to God that I am going to do this every time, our human nature proves us to be liars.

When you don't say the Blessing before the meal, then remember later, do you feel Condemnation?

Rom. 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Just put your fork down and bow your head, saying to yourself a blessing, then pick up the fork and chow down.
I say grace even after the meal if I have forgotten, mostly I remember after I get started and it is never too late, as they say. I don't feel condemnation just sorry.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Do you think God hears/answers our prayers if we don't end in "in Jesus name, amen."?
God is not concerned about any formula in prayer. He looks at the heart of the person. I don't use the name of Jesus in my prayers, because I don't want to risk taking His name in vain. For example, some believe in positive confession and so they pray for something that they want instead of what God may want for them, such as a bigger bank balance, a larger house, or a new motor car, so they name it a claim it through prayer in the name of Jesus. For me, that is taking the Lord's name in vain, because they think that using the name of Jesus in that fashion will magically get them what they are desiring.

If I am truly representing Jesus in ministry of any kind, then He will associate His name with it, without me having to attach His name on the end of it.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you think God hears/answers our prayers if we don't end in "in Jesus name, amen."?

Of course.

When Jesus said to pray in his name, he didn't mean to say it at the end of our prayers. A name is person's status, reputation and work. So he meant that we must approach the Father in prayer in our identification with him. He hears us in the name of Jesus, because apart from him we are sinners, separated from God. Jesus makes our prayers acceptable to the Father.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't care. I just want to please God and he asked that we end our prayers with that and I would do anything I can to please him.
Where did He ask us to end our prayers that way?

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
praying in the name of Jesus means to pray in his authority it doesn't mean that we need to tag on "in Jesus name" which is actually a bit redundant. As Christians, it should be implicit since we need the authority of Christ to even commune with God or to walk in his spirit and the moment we open our mouths in prayer we are speaking in Christ's authority. However, we are human, and it does help the way we approach prayer when we are aware it is in Christ's name that we do so and speaking this helps but why at the end? why not open with calling upon the authority of Christ first?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I did google it as I wasn't sure if it was man made but it is scriptural.
1 Kings 9:3 King James Version (KJV)
3 And the Lord said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.

Pretty sure nobody knew about Jesus back then yet it worked .

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
what if you prayed the Lord's prayer would you still add on "in Jesus' name"?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
while we are on the subject what does it take for a prayer to be prayer? We all say a lot of repetition in prayer, "Our [heavenly] Father", "Dear Jesus", [Forever and ever,] Amen", not to mention "In Jesus' [percious] name". What if prayer didn't have these elements can it still be called prayer? Does it still call upon the authority of Christ even though it is not explicitly stated in the prayer? The Centurian seemed to have understood Christ's authority saying "I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”" and he is praised by Christ for having greater faith than any other he had encountered in Isreal. Perhaps our faith can go a step higher when we no longer need to carry these special words in our prayer in order for them to feel like they are validated.

What would happen if I encountered someone sick and instead of a lengthy prayer concluding with "Jesus name" I just simply say "go" and carrying all the weight of the authority of Christ within it? Is Christ stronger when we say his name? is the prayer stronger? I don't like to put too much attention on myself but there are other ways to point to Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. - Colossians 3:7
And that’s the point. Saying “in Jesus name” doesn’t do anything. “Doing” in His name is the point.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
And that’s the point. Saying “in Jesus name” doesn’t do anything. “Doing” in His name is the point.
Is the name of Jesus being used? When the anti-Christ makes his scene will he pray the Father in his holy name? Omitting the name of Jesus?

When I listen to a prayer I expect the name of Jesus in there somewhere and count it a foolish thing to pray the Father in his holy name. I loan out prayer clothes sent to me by RW Schambach decades ago and tell the people when you use those things don’t forget the name of Jesus in the prayers. So far, everyone of them given out have testified a healing.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Is the name of Jesus being used? When the anti-Christ makes his scene will he pray the Father in his holy name? Omitting the name of Jesus?

When I listen to a prayer I expect the name of Jesus in there somewhere and count it a foolish thing to pray the Father in his holy name. I loan out prayer clothes sent to me by RW Schambach decades ago and tell the people when you use those things don’t forget the name of Jesus in the prayers. So far, everyone of them given out have testified a healing.
You are dabbling in mysticism. There’s no scripture to support that practice.

Let me ask you, when you do your daily tasks, do you invoke Jesus’s name in everything you do? You should, if the verse you posted is taken in a wooden literal sense.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
You are dabbling in mysticism. There’s no scripture to support that practice.

Let me ask you, when you do your daily tasks, do you invoke Jesus’s name in everything you do? You should, if the verse you posted is taken in a wooden literal sense.
In obedience to scripture....
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. - James 5:14-25

1. Our preachers have bottles of anointing oil behind the pulpit - Do you call that mysticism?
2. I pray daily with the Bbnradio.org with rosary beads in hand and in the name of Jesus - Do you call that mysticism?
3. Me and my Christian brothers will pray for folk in the name of Jesus at our factory for those in need of prayer- Do you call that mysticism?

If it is not spiritually dead do we call that mysticism? The old Dr. Minnis would be proud of such religion!

"Grandfather was kind to me and considerate of me, yet he was strict with me. I worked along with him in the field when the weather was agreeable and when it was inclement I helped him in his hatter's shop, for the Civil War was in progress and he had returned at odd times to hatmaking. It was my business in the shop to stretch foxskins and coonskins across a wood-horse and with a knife, made for that purpose, pluck the hair from the fur. I despise the odor of foxskins and coonskins to this good day. He had me to walk two miles every Sunday to Dandridge to Church service and Sunday-school, rain or shine, wet or dry, cold or hot; yet he had fat horses standing in his stable. But he was such a blue-stocking Presbyterian that he never allowed a bridle to go on a horse's head on Sunday. The beasts had to have a day of rest. Old Doctor Minnis was the pastor, and he was the dryest and most interminable preacher I ever heard in my life. He would stand motionless and read his sermons from manuscript for one hour and a half at a time and sometimes longer. Grandfather would sit and never take his eyes off of him, except to glance at me to keep me quiet. It was torture to me." - The Life of George Clark Rankin

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
In obedience to scripture....
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. - James 5:14-25

1. Our preachers have bottles of anointing oil behind the pulpit - Do you call that mysticism?
2. I pray daily with the Bbnradio.org with rosary beads in hand and in the name of Jesus - Do you call that mysticism?
3. Me and my Christian brothers will pray for folk in the name of Jesus at our factory for those in need of prayer- Do you call that mysticism?

If it is not spiritually dead do we call that mysticism? The old Dr. Minnis would be proud of such religion!

"Grandfather was kind to me and considerate of me, yet he was strict with me. I worked along with him in the field when the weather was agreeable and when it was inclement I helped him in his hatter's shop, for the Civil War was in progress and he had returned at odd times to hatmaking. It was my business in the shop to stretch foxskins and coonskins across a wood-horse and with a knife, made for that purpose, pluck the hair from the fur. I despise the odor of foxskins and coonskins to this good day. He had me to walk two miles every Sunday to Dandridge to Church service and Sunday-school, rain or shine, wet or dry, cold or hot; yet he had fat horses standing in his stable. But he was such a blue-stocking Presbyterian that he never allowed a bridle to go on a horse's head on Sunday. The beasts had to have a day of rest. Old Doctor Minnis was the pastor, and he was the dryest and most interminable preacher I ever heard in my life. He would stand motionless and read his sermons from manuscript for one hour and a half at a time and sometimes longer. Grandfather would sit and never take his eyes off of him, except to glance at me to keep me quiet. It was torture to me." - The Life of George Clark Rankin
I loan out prayer clothes sent to me by RW Schambach decades ago and tell the people when you use those things don’t forget the name of Jesus in the prayers.

That’s mysticism.

Upvote 0